Woodlands - Updated (2008-01-23)

Started by fovmester, Sat 16/07/2005 09:14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

fovmester

Just wanted to show you all that I'm still working on the game. I haven't been active on the forums lately because I've been working hard both in school and (when in front of a computer) on the game. But now I thought it was time for an update:

2005-09-29: The last month much has happened. I've drawn and colored two more backgrounds. I didn't get to implementing any puzzles like I said I would, but I've made a lot of character animation. Mostly several junie-characters (the ones dancing in the second picture). I've made a few new songs, but the most important things I've done is that I've put together most of the rooms I've finished. So at the moment you can take a stroll through the woodlands, listen to the birds singing and watch an occasional  "dow" eating grass.

So what's next? Right after writing this text I thought I should write some dialogs. Then the next time I get time I'll make another two important backgrounds. Then, I can start with the first puzzles. But it's coming along very fine. And I'm making a lot of back-ups to make sure it keeps going that way. ;)

2005-09-17: The last month I've been busy vacationing with my girlfriend. But I've also found a lot of time to work on Woodlands.

I've recorded a lot of sounds and painted three new backgrounds. I've done two new songs. I've also drawn and animated Hilbot the evil Wizard and one of his goons. The last weeks I've been working on the intro sequence. I've animated all of a ten second flash-movie and also made an important dialog with the villain. I've almost completed the intro-sequence now, and will move on to implement the first puzzles.

Mordalles

looking great, man! i like your graphics a lot! and i wish i could do mine this good.
dont know if you know this, but i put you in my game's credits, since i used your bushes as "reference" in my game. hehe. just cause i had no idea how to do them, and yours looked so good. hope you dont mind.  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

fovmester

Really!? You put me in your credits for that? That's so cool!  ;D

Mordalles

thew! so you wont sue me! yay!  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Mats Berglinn

Mordalles, it's only companies that sues you, amtuers very rarely do that. Besides why would they sue anyone for being in a credit list? It's just plain silly.

Just wanted to show you all that I'm still working on the game. I haven't been active on the forums lately because I've been working hard both in school and (when in front of a computer) on the game. But now I thought it was time for an update:

2005-09-29: The last month much has happened. I've drawn and colored two more backgrounds. I didn't get to implementing any puzzles like I said I would, but I've made a lot of character animation. Mostly several junie-characters (the ones dancing in the second picture). I've made a few new songs, but the most important things I've done is that I've put together most of the rooms I've finished. So at the moment you can take a stroll through the woodlands, listen to the birds singing and watch an occasional  "dow" eating grass.

So what's next? Right after writing this text I thought I should write some dialogs. Then the next time I get time I'll make another two important backgrounds. Then, I can start with the first puzzles. But it's coming along very fine. And I'm making a lot of back-ups to make sure it keeps going that way.

2005-09-17: The last month I've been busy vacationing with my girlfriend. But I've also found a lot of time to work on Woodlands.

I've recorded a lot of sounds and painted three new backgrounds. I've done two new songs. I've also drawn and animated Hilbot the evil Wizard and one of his goons. The last weeks I've been working on the intro sequence. I've animated all of a ten second flash-movie and also made an important dialog with the villain. I've almost completed the intro-sequence now, and will move on to implement the first puzzles.

Why not release a tech demo so we know how it's going to play?

fovmester

I'm thinking about releasing a demo containing the first night. The game will span over one night and three days, and during the first night you get to know the characters and the forest.

If there's enough interest then I'll focus my effort on putting together a demo of this, otherwise I'll keep working more general.

Iv4n

I think more of the developers of the big projects makes tech demos, but I don't understand why, since we all know well AGS and it's capabilities. On the other hand is good because they get feedback. But if you start making a playable demo, it should take several months of additional working to make one. The gamers will test it for some short time and that's all. And after that you'll return to the making of the full game and all in all the project will take more in time. So that's what I'm thinking and I vote for no, but it's your decision.

Darth Mandarb

The purpose of a tech demo (at least in my case) was to showcase the technical stuff in the game.  Not to show what AGS can do, but you've done with it.

For example:  When I was working on JP & Cosmo I released just a two room demo showcasing how the walls disappear.  Nobody had, to my knowledge, done that before.  That was the reason I released a "tech" demo.

However, fovmester didn't say a "tech" demo.  He just said a demo.  Which I take (given he also mentioned it would contain only the first night) to be more of a "teaser" than a "tech" demo.

And I'm all for that!  :)

fovmester

Yes it'll be more of a teaser than a techdemo. And it won't delay the completion of the whole game, since it'll only contain things that I'll do anyway. The only difference will be that I complete the first areas first.

All right, then. I'll go make a TEASER for y'all. ;)

fovmester

I just finished up the demo! It's on my homepage so please download it and try it out!

The demo is meant to be a quick demonstration of the graphics, sounds and ambience of the full
game. You will be introduced to the main characters and the overall plot line. Hopefully you will be even more anxious to play the full game after playing the demo. :)

Go here: www.fovmester.se

splat44

Yes, it a great demo.

I am certain looking forward to Spring 2006 for the full version.

Good Luck.

He-Man

Wow. This game looks really great!
The demo is amazing. Especially the cutscenes...
Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to playing the full-length.

fovmester

Thank you very much!

Just to clarify: This demo is not everything I've done so far. I've made 6 more rooms, some more music tracks and I am currently working on the background art for the next room.

I'm putting a lot of effort into the game in hope that it will closely resemble what it is inside my head at the moment. ::)

Darth Mandarb

OUTSTANDING!!

This game is so full of life and story!  I love it ...

Just that short little demo.

The cutscenes were great, the animation, the sound.

A+ man!  Keep up the good work!

Nikolas

What a lovely game it seems. The Demo is lovely!

God another game, I'll keep forever... ;D

fovmester

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 17/10/2005 15:48:48
OUTSTANDING!!

This game is so full of life and story!  I love it ...

Just that short little demo.

The cutscenes were great, the animation, the sound.

A+ man!  Keep up the good work!

Thank you, thank you! :D I'm so glad you liked it!!!

Iv4n

Hmm.. To download it or not?
Aargh I can't wait...

Everything was fine, untill the game starts running slower and slower, and then appears a message that the game run out of memory  ???. Yeah, I've got 256 RAM, but this is the first time AGS game that displays me this message. I don't think it's because of the memory. I think it is some kind of problem with the AGS. I don't know which is the lastest version of AGS, but you may consider of using the latest version if you don't.

splat44

Strange!

My system have 256 Meg Ram and I never have that problem.

Game setting is best run with 640x480.

Try that and if doesn't work try deselect "Smooth Scaled Sprites"

By pressing Advance button, the amount of memory for sprites should be set at 10 Meg.

I hope this will help.

Iv4n

This problem presist on 640x480 without sss. Well I increase the memory from 10 to 20 and I have no problems from the begining to the end of the game. Except that when I finished it, I had to wait windows to return to normal for 1-2 minutes..

fovmester

I had that problem just one time when I tested the game. I thought it had to do with me constantly turning on a GUI in repeatedly_execute_always, but I fixed that before I released the demo. And I haven't had the problem after that one time. But it's certainly disturbing to hear that there still might be a problem. I'll look into it right away!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk