Splash screen for AGS Editor

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

My vote goes to Cupshape 9 and/or Dark 2.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 11/07/2013 12:21:26
Clean #2
Gradient #6
Dark #1 (well, I like #2 better in general, except I hate the brown liquid in the cup)

There's no Gradient #6, Snarky. Did you, maybe, mean Cup-Shaped 6? Or other number of Gradient?

subspark

The brown liquid is absent in the lastest PSD.
That's the very one I linked everybody to. No yucky coffee. Clean empty cup.

Or is it perhaps only half empty? Or half full even?!  :=

Crimson Wizard

Voting Tier One completed!

Uh, next time I'd have to find a way to make a poll (hits his forehead with a hand).

Leadership board:

SplashVotes
Clean #216
Dark #110
Dark #29
Dark #38
Gradient #36
Clean #13
Clean #32
Clean #42
Cup Shaped #12
Cup Shaped #42
Funky #12
Cup Shaped #31
Cup Shaped #61
Cup Shaped #71
Cup Shaped #91
Cup Shaped #101

We have clear 5 top-voted splashes here, which is lucky.

Clean #2
Spoiler
Dark #1
Spoiler
Dark #2
Spoiler
Dark #3
Spoiler
Gradient #3
Spoiler

Also, here's the suggestion supported by few people:

"I think I'd actually prefer a merge between the two even..
With the background and cup of Gradient #3 and the layout and rest of Clean #2:"
Spoiler
Since both of those splashes are between leaders, I guess we may take this as another contestant for Tier 2?

Before we start Tier 2, is it possible to make an automatized poll in this thread?

DoorKnobHandle

Clean #2 so clearly won the vote, I REALLY don't see the point in complicated this process but oh well.

Once "Tier 2" starts, it'll be Clean #2 for me again.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Wed 24/07/2013 11:42:16
Clean #2 so clearly won the vote, I REALLY don't see the point in complicated this process but oh well.

Well, yes, it has a big advantage, so it does makes sense.

What about the combination idea? Anyone else supports it?

Radiant

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Wed 24/07/2013 11:42:16
I do. There are multiple images that are really similar, so if only one of those had existed it would likely have gotten more votes. Based on that, a runoff vote makes a lot of sense.

Actually, rather than having a binary runoff vote, it would make sense for people to rank those five picks and give a weighted vote. That way you'll end up with the result most acceptable to all people, rather than the one image that (hypothetically) 51% of people love and 49% of them hate. We did the same in the last OROW and it worked great!

abstauber

Clean #2 also has the huge advantage, that you can create it completely from script (except for the cup). So we can have different backgrounds for special occasions (like "Valentines day" or "Talk like a pirate day").

So I'm all for clean #2 (although I haven't voted myself), because it has so much potential for easter eggs.

If a runoff vote is really wanted, I'd support Radiant's solution.

Problem

Interesting. Clean #2 was one of my least favourites, I found it somewhat bland with the small cup and so much plain-coloured space around it. But basically all of the suggested splash screens look good enough to me.

abstauber

Quote from: Problem on Wed 24/07/2013 13:31:14
Clean #2 was one of my least favourites,... so much plain-coloured space around it.
Judging from your avatar I thought you'd love it  (laugh) (laugh)

just kidding

Problem

Clean #2 doesn't have a handsome pixel guy on it  ;)

Oh, and apart from that Clean #2 has one major fault: the cup is white! 8-0

subspark

I'm quite fond of Clean #2. It's got that early afternoon slacking off in the office on personal projects appeal. I don't remember what that actually felt like of course.  :X

Clean #2 has my vote however I have one consideration to share. It would be complete with a more appealing edge.

Perhaps a 1 pixel stroke of white from the inside, or a drop shadow of some tasteful moderation.
One 'OR' the other as opposed to both suggestions together should do the trick.

Ryan Timothy B

You know what, I'm voting for the new one of the clean style with the background of the gradient. It just looks so fitting. This one

The gradient need to be more uniform though. The multi resolution gradient really drives me nuts.

miguel

I second Ryan Timothy on this one. It does look good.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Crimson Wizard

Uhhhh. I am sorry, I could not find free time lately.

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 24/07/2013 12:03:46
Actually, rather than having a binary runoff vote, it would make sense for people to rank those five picks and give a weighted vote. That way you'll end up with the result most acceptable to all people, rather than the one image that (hypothetically) 51% of people love and 49% of them hate. We did the same in the last OROW and it worked great!

So, is this OK to have such voting?
Did you have automated poll? Should I ask AGA about making this?

abstauber

dactylopus

Quote from: Problem on Wed 24/07/2013 13:31:14
Interesting. Clean #2 was one of my least favourites, I found it somewhat bland with the small cup and so much plain-coloured space around it. But basically all of the suggested splash screens look good enough to me.
I agree.  It looks too 'Windows 8' for me, personally.

I'd actually prefer Dark #2 with the empty cup from Dark #1.

abstauber

A few month later... can't we just have the combined version? I think most people are happy with it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 05/02/2014 13:19:23
A few month later... can't we just have the combined version? I think most people are happy with it.
Omg lol. It's such a shame, this completely dropped from my mind :tongue:
This splash was supposed for 3.4.0, but I got carried away with working on 3.3.0 and custom resolutions.
Yes, please, post combined version if you want, we'll see people reaction to that.

Snarky

Isn't that just this post?

I'm not so keen on the text-cup; I think I'd prefer pretty much any of the alternative bluecup designs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk