MAGS November “Ghosts” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 02/11/2022 15:43:57

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS November?

Don't give up the Cat by eri0o
2 (15.4%)
A Very Serious Plumbing Simulator by Falsely
3 (23.1%)
Highland Spirit by ddavey1983
7 (53.8%)
Two Ghosts of That House: The Missing Toy by Volcan
1 (7.7%)
Ghost Hunter: Dracula by newwaveburritos
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Sat 24/12/2022 08:13:24

Stupot

Theme: Ghosts
Set by: ddavey1983

The winner is Highland Spirit by GOC Games.

Don't Give Up the Cat
by Eri0o
A Very Serious Plumbing Simulator
by Falsely
Highland Spirit
by ddavey1983
Two Ghosts of That House: The Missing Toy
by Volcan
Ghost Hunter: Dracula
by newwaveburritos

This month the theme is ghosts - bumps in the night, headless horsemen, spectral monks, haunted houses. Your ghosts could be friendly, malevolent or even metaphorical as in the memory of people and events past. Or...it could be a bloke in a sheet.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DBoyWheeler

Aww, no Wraiths from Quest for Glory IV?

Anyhow, good luck to everyone entering.

Radiant

Hmmm, I'm tempted to write a Pacman game now...  :tongue:

eri0o

I got the start of something but I haven't made a very useful game loop yet. Not sure I will be able to finish... If someone wants to help me test, send me a dm!

eri0o

Ah, an additional inspiration for this month, a ghost has an interesting meaning in character design.

QuoteThe ghost is important because it relates to the protagonist's character arc, and therefore, the theme.

Most protagonists start with a flaw, weakness, or misbelief that they must overcome by the end of the story.

The ghost is the event (or events) where that flaw, weakness, or misbelief took hold in the first place.

more on here...

Anyone else trying something this month?

Ah, it's also GitHub Game Off, not sure I will be able to fit it's theme too, but they have a curious top image

Volcan

eri0o

Don't Give Up the Cat

Download dont-give-up-the-cat.zip for Windows | dont-give-up-the-cat-linux.tar.gz for Linux

Tonight, you are out in the woods. As a cat.

This is my MAGS entry for this month! I plan to do a write-up, release the code and all that soon. The game is super short, as I did not have as much free time as I would like. I recommend headphones when playing it.

ddavey1983

I've got something on its way but it's going to be right up to the wire! Might be begging for a day or two's extension some the 30th!

Falsely

Mine's coming along! ...Slower than I'd like as things have been busy for me too, so I'm cutting extraneous features out like mad to make the deadline.

We'll see how we go.  :P

Volcan

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 25/11/2022 02:00:38Don't Give Up the Cat

Download dont-give-up-the-cat.zip for Windows | dont-give-up-the-cat-linux.tar.gz for Linux

Tonight, you are out in the woods. As a cat.

This is my MAGS entry for this month! I plan to do a write-up, release the code and all that soon. The game is super short, as I did not have as much free time as I would like. I recommend headphones when playing it.

Quote from: Falsely on Sat 26/11/2022 23:10:08Mine's coming along! ...Slower than I'd like as things have been busy for me too, so I'm cutting extraneous features out like mad to make the deadline.

We'll see how we go.  :P

At least we have competition this time.
 :=  :=  :=  :cheesy:  :cheesy:  ;-D  ;-D

eri0o

I made a quick update to add fireflies in my game. :)

Spoiler
[close]

I also pushed it in itchio and in the completed games page.

newwaveburritos

I have something that's almost ready but I'm not sure if i can get it finished by midnight.  I guess we'll see!

Falsely

There's Something in the Pipes - A Very Serious Plumbing Simulator
Downloads: Google Drive | GameJolt

You are the owner of a movie rental store.
You have one hour until your shift.
You need a shower.
The bathtub is full of blood.

Go figure.

----

Whew. Cutting it real close - had to axe a lot of puzzles, sound effects, and animation frames - but I managed to get my entry playable from start to finish!

Volcan

Quote from: Falsely on Wed 30/11/2022 17:20:56
There's Something in the Pipes - A Very Serious Plumbing Simulator
Download Link

You are the owner of a movie rental store.
You have one hour until your shift.
You need a shower.
The bathtub is full of blood.

Go figure.

----

Whew. Cutting it real close - had to axe a lot of puzzles, sound effects, and animation frames - but I managed to get my entry playable from start to finish!

I got 404 error.

Stupot

Nice to see some pretty entries.

Seems like a couple of folks might appreciate some extra time. Would 2 more days be enough?

ddavey1983

I managed to get it (more or less) done! It works fine, just would have ideally given it a little extra polish.

Highland Spirit - a traditional point-and-click adventure by GOC Games
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2646-highland-spirit/

Becky Speed is an aspiring novelist who is seeking to break her writer's block with a relaxing solo trip to the Scottish Highlands.

However, Becky is about to discover that in her idyllic cottage, she is not alone at all...

Falsely

Quote from: Volcan on Wed 30/11/2022 18:42:10I got 404 error.

Bah, sorry about that - didn't realize unpublished itchio pages couldn't be linked to. Added a Google drive link in the meantime!

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 30/11/2022 19:11:34Nice to see some pretty entries.

Seems like a couple of folks might appreciate some extra time. Would 2 more days be enough?

Two days would be great - I'd love to playtest my own project and tweak a few things.  ;-D

Volcan

Two ghosts of that house: the missing toy

Help Mel to find the missing toy for Bianka.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2647-two-ghosts-of-that-house-the-missing-toy/

(12-11-2022) A new version is out.

newwaveburritos

I have the bones of it done I just need to, uh, add a quick and simple and appropriately stupid story.  Two days should be plenty.  Thanks!

Shadow1000

Quote from: ddavey1983 on Wed 30/11/2022 23:10:32I managed to get it (more or less) done! It works fine, just would have ideally given it a little extra polish.

Highland Spirit - a traditional point-and-click adventure by GOC Games
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2646-highland-spirit/

Becky Speed is an aspiring novelist who is seeking to break her writer's block with a relaxing solo trip to the Scottish Highlands.

However, Becky is about to discover that in her idyllic cottage, she is not alone at all...

I spent about 30 minutes playing this game and I'm really enjoying it. I just can't figure out how to Save and Load/Restore? I clicked the S button but when I click R nothing happens. When I try to load from the title screen, it doesn't show my saved game. How do I continue without losing my progress?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk