The Wordle thread (with spoilers!)

Started by cat, Fri 18/03/2022 08:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Quote from: cat on Thu 23/02/2023 12:58:53Sorry for being unclear, it was an expression of sympathy towards Snarky.
Ahh sorry cat, that was a failed attempt at humour. I didn't realise your emoji was a reaction to Snarky's post. I thought it was a reaction to puzzle 614 being difficult:
(Spoiler for 614 below)
Spoiler
The answer was "vague", so "Can you be more specific?" would have been totally hilarious.
[close]

cat

Haha, now I get it. I didn't post today's result yet, because it was just a regular solve, nothing special. Here it goes anyway:

Wordle 614 5/6*
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STARE, ADOBE, WAIVE, VALUE, VAGUE
[close]

cat

🟨⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Could have been worse, I guess  ;)

cat

Got it in 4 today. What's interesting, though, is that Scoredle would have lost today's game
Spoiler
SLATE, POSSE, WORSE, HOUSE, NOOSE, GOOSE
[close]

cat

#625 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STARE, COULD, PINKY -  those are the words I usually use as starting words for Quordle
[close]

Snarky

Something that just occurred to me is that one thing that helps make the game a lot easier is that English generally abhors consonant doubling at the end of words, even though it does use it elsewhere to indicate short vowels. I think the only ones you get in any halfway-normal word are L ("skull"), S ("bless"), F ("stiff"), and Z ("jazz"). Most others are reduced to just one (flag not flagg, cop not copp, bed not bedd, etc.)—if they occur at the end—while double K is instead spelled CK.

This greatly reduces the possibility space for consonant clusters at the end of words. You can often deduce that one of the last two spaces must be a vowel because there is no possible way to fill them with the remaining consonants.

Stupot

True, and after playing for a while you quickly get a feel for what consonant clusters are possible.

I sometimes will choose a word that could eliminate multiple clusters in one turn. For example let's say I have _ _ A _ _.  I might try "shack" because not only does it eliminate ck at the end, but also sh (which is common at the beginning and end of words, as well as within). Plus using the S can eliminate all of the many clusters which use that letter.

As for today's puzzle:

Wordle 626 6/6*
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Babar

Wordle 629 5/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

When you've basically figured out the letters, and now you're just hoping you guess the correct word before your chances run out
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Snarky

Yeah, that's the thing I don't like in hard mode, that it comes down entirely to luck. Though in that case I think there were only three plausible possibilities, so at least there was no risk of failing.

Spoiler
REBEL, REPEL, REVEL; "REFEL" is apparently also a word, but is obviously not going to be the answer.
[close]

Wordle 630 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STORE
BENCH
LIMED
EMAIL
[close]

I was completely stumped after the third line to come up with ANY legal guess, and had to resort to listing all 28 possible letter arrangements and going through them one by one until I found one that I could make a word out of.

cat

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STARE, PEACH, EMAIL
[close]

I was surprised because I would usually write it
Spoiler
[close]
But like Snarky I ran out of other options.

Snarky

There was a spelling reform (by the Chicago Manual of Style, I think) a few years ago.

Spoiler
They took out the hyphen, and also changed "internet" to no longer be capitalized. (Though I personally still use uppercase most of the time.)
[close]

cat

That was ridiculous.

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Snarky

Wordle 668 X/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

I kind of blame myself. I should have seen what I was setting myself up for on the third row and avoided locking in four letters (though with three yellow I didn't have many options, and probably couldn't have played all that much more efficiently in any case).

Stupot

I made the same mistake

Wordle 668 X/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩

cat

Here as well:

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

Stupot

Ouch. I imagine a lot of people said goodbye to some decent streaks today. RIP

Update: my mum got it in three
Spoiler
She was coughing so she started with 'cough', then went 'house', 'hound'
[close]

Matti

I got it in four today. Funny enough I started with "stare" which i seldomly do  ;)

Wordle 668 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STARE
PLUMB
FOUND
HOUND
[close]

cat

Who else guessed

Spoiler
THUMB
[close]
before
Spoiler
THUMP
[close]
today?

Snarky

Quote from: Matti on Tue 18/04/2023 19:02:06I got it in four today. Funny enough I started with "stare" which i seldomly do  ;)

Wordle 668 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
STARE
PLUMB
FOUND
HOUND
[close]

Congrats. It seems to me that it's really PLUMB that is doing the heavy lifting here, in that unlike STARE (a perfectly reasonable starting word) it would normally not be a good guess, but in this case it actually ends up ruling out about half the possibilities for the final letter (POUND, MOUND, BOUND).

Quote from: cat on Wed 19/04/2023 08:21:40Who else guessed

Spoiler
THUMB
[close]
before
Spoiler
THUMP
[close]
today?

Not me, but I did guess
Spoiler
THUNK
[close]

Snarky

BTW, the latest Quordle redesign a couple of weeks ago screwed me out of a 50-game streak that I would have completed today. When it updated, it somehow failed to zero out my game from the day before, so that I had to start off with 8 rows pre-filled with irrelevant guesses and no way not to lose.  :~(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk