Tune contest! Jan. 2nd - Jan. 9th

Started by Damien, Fri 02/01/2004 18:00:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien

I saw this idea on one of the older tune contest threads, but it was never used, so I'm gonna use it now.

Rules:
Your song can be in any style, but you are restricted to this instruments, and you must use all of them:
-Hammond organ
-Electric bass
-Trumpet (plain trumpet, the unmuted type)
-Sitar

You can also add percussions to your song, but they're optional.

If you use tracking software (like sound club) and can't save your song in *.mid, you can save it in *.mp3 format, but the limit is 1.5mb.

Good luck!

Gregjazz

I actually like instrument restrictions such as those!

I might have time to enter this contest, hopefully. That is, if finish the Apprentice 2 Trailer before the contest ends.

Peter Thomas

What do you mean 'percussion?'

Typical or atypical?

Because, really, if you want to be technical, the piano and harp are both percussion instruments, along with drums and cymbals and such. So are we talking just your standard percussion, or ALL sorts?
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

BOYD1981

why can't we save as midi? midi has all those instruments doesn't it? it also seems a majority of the musicians here use midi and they you're rules are preventing them from entering.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Sluggo

I don't think Damien said we couldn't use midi. He said if you use tracking software (which I assume is .mod .xm and stuff like that), and can't save it as a midi, it's ok to make it an mp3.

BOYD1981

oh, right, i see... so tracked formats aren't allowed? players for them are easy to find, also you can get a utility to convert an xm to an executable file...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Peter Thomas

[ Repeat My Previous Post ]

/\
                 l
                 l
                 l
                 l

*cough*

This is a really weird instrumentation!! I keep on getting all these little ideas that work well on one instrument, but don't work with the others :(
But that's half the challenge, I guess, so I'll persevere...!

Good luck to all other entrants. But not TOO much...  ;)

Damien

Boyd: you can use *.mod or .* xm or *.s3m but if you use *.mp3 then the limit is 1.5mb because it's quite bigger than those other format.
I mean songs in mid, mod, xm, or s3m should be pretty long to be that big.
Also, when i make a song in Sound Club, sometimes when i save it as mod, and play it in winamp i get some weird noise.

Peter Thomas: By percussion i mean drums (snare, hihat, cymbal, bass drum,...)

BerserkerTails

A question (Working on my tune right now)...

Can we have a Muted Trumpet instead of a normal one?
I make music.

Damien

Sorry, but no, there is a difference in sound between muted and normal trumpet so you will have to obey the restrictions this time.

QuoteWorking on my tune right now
Can't wait to hear it!

Trapezoid

A muted trumpet is still a trumpet though... If I were to record a live trumpet, would I be able to use a muter thing?
Not that I have one...

BerserkerTails

It's no worries. The normal trumpet sounds fine as is. I can't wait to finish this tune though, it's really sounding excellent, in my opinion. It's got a very, Persian kinda feel to it. Like you'd hear it in Quest for Glory 2 or something.
I make music.

Damien

Trapezoid: Check the rules  ;D      /\

BerserkerTails

Damien: Another question... Any desired length? My goal is to get a finished song somewhere around 2 minutes, but I don't know if I can make even that. I'm only at 35 seconds right now. Music isn't the fastest thing in the world, especially when you're arranging it as you compose and sequence it,  ;)
I make music.

Damien

There is no required lenght of the song. Make it as long as you think it should be.

BerserkerTails

Zing! Done my tune! Here it is, clocking in at 1:41 seconds, with only a Hammond Organ, Sitar, Electric Bass and Trumpet. Enjoy, I had alot of fun making it!

http://www.ssonicnet.com/lobt/tune.mid

Whazzam!
I make music.

Gregjazz

By 'percussion', he means a trap set or rhythmic percussion instruments. For example, a tabla or djembe would fit nicely.

I hope I'll have time to enter this contest!

Peter Thomas

Thanks for clearing up the percussion thing  :P

I'll get started on my tune straight away (I think)

Peter Thomas

Okay, I officially withdraw from this round. Despite the "use any style you want" disclaimer, it's pretty obvious that these instruments lend themselves to the Anhemitonic Pentatonic scale of the Indian culture. And trying to incorporate a trumpet into that is (imho) just silly, because it's designed for the harmonics of consecutive 4ths  :'(

Okay.... now I'm ranting..... I apologise. I just have certain reservations about the musicality of the Indian raga. Nothing personal...

Just accept my apologies, and don't let this put anyone else off entering the competition.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Quote from: Peter Thomas on Mon 05/01/2004 04:43:21
And trying to incorporate a trumpet into that is (imho) just silly, because it's designed for the harmonics of consecutive 4ths  :'(

Are you saying that you'd NEVER put two trumpets together playing a 3rd apart?!?! And since when has traditional Indian music used electric basses... or Hammond organs for that matter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk