Laura Bow in Colonel's Bequest: Resurrection

Started by Jodo Kast, Sun 28/12/2003 23:19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Jodo Kast

More information is at:  www.geocities.com/lbcbr2004    

This thread is to announce that development is proceeding on our remake, Colonel's Bequest.  The website will be updated with screenshots, the alpha demo this summer, and the full game with source code Christmas 2004.

Partly due to the open nature of this community we don't have any problem releasing the source code with the game, and plan to do so to help future game developers.  

More screenshots will be posted soon; send all feedback to my e-mail or post here.

E-mail is: lbcbr2004@yahoo.com  (Thanks Bryce!)

Thank you!

Jodo Kast

Bryce

Hello Jodo,

My email is still empty.  Are you still working on the character's page? Maybe I can't see the link because of the black background.

I'd really like to see the Xmas demo for further feedback.

MuzlakOofmay

Erpy

Direct link is: http://www.geocities.com/lbcbr2004/characters/index.htm

Although it's still not clear to me if he's still interested in giving people a demo. Last time I checked he still insisted on the use of Kazaa.

Jodo Kast

The demos are still on Kazaa.  They are old demos.

For the latest updates, check the website.  Also, Erpy, that is just the characters section with more sections to come.

Thank you!

Jodo Kast

Erpy

I don't think that was what Bryce/Muzlak was aiming for.

I'm not going to restart the discussion again, but from what I've learned from the previous thread, the files on Kazaa are inaccessable to just about everyone here. So here's a choice to make:

- If you're no longer interested in spreading your older stuff, that's your choice, but you can take them out of your shared folder, since it's obvious nobody can get them.

- If you ARE interested in spreading your stuff, you should send your files to Bryce/Muzlak through email. He'll host them and post links here and people who read this can download it. Kazaa is not an alternative.

Whatever choice you make, the Kazaa answer will no longer do. Of all posts in the former thread, not a single one contained feedback based on something that was downloaded yesterday/today. (whether the poster supported you or not) That tells me the files really ARE inaccessable, no matter how often you insist they are not. Nobody on either the AGDI-forum or this forum has been able to track them.

That's all I'm gonna say about the subject, it's yours to either utilize or ignore.

Jodo Kast

Erpy,

Quit causing problems.

I have had offers to host the file, and FilePlanet is willing to host Laura Bow when it's done - and tested.  If you want the latest check the website.  

The Beta and Alpha versions of the game will only be made available from Kazaa if this keeps up.

Jodo Kast

Erpy

QuoteErpy,

Quit causing problems.

I don't get it. I'm trying to hold a discussion with you about something, without the use of flames or offensive language, so I don't get why you're telling me to shut up. Would you mind telling me what problems I would be causing? Because I pledge innocence at present.

QuoteI have had offers to host the file, and FilePlanet is willing to host Laura Bow when it's done - and tested.

I know about the offers. Both Muzlak/Bryce and Angelus offered to host stuff for you. I didn't know about Fileplanet. But since you were asking for feedback, I still don't understand why you keep turning down hosting offers.

QuoteIf you want the latest check the website.

Do you mean files? At the time of writing, I don't see any downloads on your site.

QuoteThe Beta and Alpha versions of the game will only be made available from Kazaa if this keeps up.

I think you'd really be punishing yourself that way and not me or anyone else. Developers generally want to spread their work as much as possible. You're the first one I've heard of who threatens to do the opposite. I'm a bit confused.

deltamatrix

I've just read the other thread about this game and I'd just like to say that Jodo, you are an oddball :P

After seeing the website, I must say that I don't like your style of graphics. I find them quite off-putting. Obviously this may explain the huge size of the demo (if it exists) but haven't you considered people who haven't even got broadband?
SIZE doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think 3D modelling suits the game. At least not this kind of game. I'm used to Tierra styled VGA.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Jodo Kast

OK Erpy to answer your questions again:

1. I don't need file hosting.  Geocities.com is hosting my stuff for now.

2. What I post here matters.  If I say it's on Kazaa that's where you can get it.  Whining about it isn't going to help you.

3. If you want to catch up to current development, comment on the characters on my website.  Then on Saturday when I post some backgrounds, comment on the background.

4. You can talk about anything you want.  Sometimes you won't like my answers, and that's OK too.

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Deltamatrix,

Thanks for your feedback!  To speed up development we are using Poser characters.  We can render without anti-aliasing to get crisp edges (without alpha channels).  We can render walking views left, right, front and back.  It takes time we don't have to hand draw graphics.  It takes time we don't have to model our own characters in Lightwave.

The characters are pretty bare right now.  We are working on adding doo-dads and accessories like reading glasses, cigarette, wheelchair, etc.  We are also saving poses for the characters so we can render blinks, talking, etc like an assembly line.

Plus I personally wanted realistic looking characters over cartoons like QFG2 and KQ2+.  The death animations and carnage scenes will be alot better.

Jodo Kast

The Subliminal Messenger

So, we get some backgrounds on Saturday.

What sort of style are they being made in?
No one told me there were laws AGAINST Public Nudity!

Nixxon

Quote from: The Subliminal Messenger on Tue 30/12/2003 21:12:47

I beleive they're pre-renderd 3D, which could make for some nifty eye candy, i'd imagine creating walk behinds would be somewhat of a nightmare however  :-\

It's amusing that production threads with little or no content seem to obtain zillions of replies, where as the opposite receives run of the mill attention. *Watches own thread plunge down the apex* The almighty paradox! :P ;)

Jodo Kast

Well we are using photo realistic brushes so hopefully it will look semi-realistic.  It takes awhile to get the grass to look right but once it's done it looks better than 3D rendering, IMHO.

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Quote from: Nixxon (IbeX) on Tue 30/12/2003 21:17:01

I beleive they're pre-renderd 3D, which could make for some nifty eye candy, i'd imagine creating walk behinds would be somewhat of a nightmare however  :-\

Yep, we are using layers of course for the grass, so there are planes of grass that we will add.  We use the image of the grass against a transparent background, then make it one-color to mask it (and create the walk-behind).  5 or six levels of grass or so...

Blackthorne

Heheh.  He's in command of a Pi team! (It appears the "Pi" post was deleted after I wrote this.  Jodo said that the team consists of 3.14 people.)

Well, at least you have SOMETHING to show now, Jodo..... I'm glad you put up something, even if it is stock poser characters.  I still think you have no game demo, which is OKAY, I mean, you're working on something.... but you didn't have to lie about a demo.  You could have just said "We're working on the game.... here are some pictures of what we're doing....."... instead of sending people on a wild goose chase for a non-existant demo.

I look forward to seeing some backgrounds, just a suggestion.... Lillian's Hair is very off for the style; she should have a short bob haircut, as she was a traditional 20's flapper.  Check out pictures of Clara Bow (the actress) for reference. (In fact, the name Laura Bow is a play/homage on Clara Bow)

Blackthorne
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Jodo Kast

Nixxon (Ibex),

It took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together.  You are the perfect example of how it's been going so far.  You artwork is amazing and I can tell you spent a lot of time in Illustrator to get it to look like that.

Our backgrounds are the same way.  They take forever.  However if you make the characters as wonderful as your backgrounds, it's gonna take you awhile!  

Poser allows me to create the characters we need quickly.  Our backgrounds will use photo-realistic paint brushes and 3D rendering so we'll see if it cuts on the time it takes per background.

If anyone wants to join the team, e-mail me and I can tell you what we need currently.  "Currently" changes so right now if you can do Poser characters let me know while the rest of the team is concentrating on the backgrounds!

Thanks Nixxon!

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Blackthorne,

You asked about the hairstyles.  The new game takes place in present time, so that might answer your question.

The house will look old and with 'retro' 1930s interior design so you will feel like you are in the past when you are in the mansion.  Some of the dates are changed but the story is the same.  The family tree will need some updating to fit...

Jodo Kast

Blackthorne

Oh, it takes place in the present time?

That sucks.

The tone of that game was set by it's use of the 20's.  The story will have to change much.  Why there is no causeway to the island will have to be explained (The state would have built one, or if the Colonel is so rich, why didn't he build one..... I mean there was a road leading to his house in the original game, the swamp just overtook it) People have cell-phones, motives are different..... this is going to be a completely different game.  I'm not sure you should call it the Colonel's Bequest.... I think this is heading towards a more original creation that a remake..... which of itself isn't a bad idea, but now it just seems like a bite off the original now, doesn't it?  What war was the Colonel a Hero is?  World War II?  Korea?  Why would he have a war horse?  The last war they were used in as cavalry was The Spanish American war, which the original Colonel fought in.  Blaze was his prize horse from that.  Will the colonel still have such a stereotypical cook as Celie, the black-voodoo woman?  Much story rewriting will have to take place....  Perhaps you should rename the heroine as well, as the name Laura Bow is an homage to a 20's movie star, Clara Bow.  Why don't you call her something like Angela Jolene or Julie Stile.  What about Kathy Dunst?  Or Laura Prepon?  Hmm.. also, the other names in the game are homages to 20's people.  Clarence Sparrow is an obvious refrence to Clarence Darrow, the atheist trial lawyer whose sweeping speechs moved jurys to tears.  He defended the Scopes Monkey Trial.  Maybe you should rename him Johnny Sochran.  Or R. C. Bailey.  Or maybe Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro...... I dunno.  Gloria Swansong?  Refrence to Gloria Swanson, who was famous in the early days, but later became famous for her role in Sunset Boulevard in the 50's.  So, a washed up or older actress today..... Maybe you could rename her Bette Meddler, or Goldie Prawn, or Diane Beaton?  These things should be considered, if the game is moved to present day.

Bt

LucasFan

Ok, Erpy & Co. I've downloaded that damn demo from Kazaa and put it on a website. Now we can all be friends again, forgive each other, love each other, help each other to change and make some good resolutions for the new year.  :-*

01 02

Blackthorne

Angelus3K

LF that demo was great!!! I love your backgrounds!!

Why dont you make a game? Seriously you make superb sierra style backgrounds!!

Bryce

Jodo,

In return for real feedback, I asked only for the demo. It seems that you don't want for me to have it, since it's not in my email.

At the VERY least, could you post specific information on how to download the demo off of kazaa? I use it fairly regularly, but have been unable to find it. Are you on kazaa the whole time?  I'd really really like to see the demo, but it's unfortunate that you won't let me a) host it or at the very least b) see it.

Please, at the VERY least, post specific instructinos on how to get the file. I've done a lot of searching for it, and it has turned up failed. Could you potentially have your friends put it in their kazaa folder as well? As many people said, they can't find it. They want to give you feedback, but they simply cannot.

-Bryce (MuzlakOofmay)

DGMacphee

Am I imagining things or did this thread mysteriously shrink in the wash?
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Jodo Kast

MuzlakOofmay,

The demos are on Kazaa.  Why insist on whining about what I am - or am not - doing for you?  I am not your personal slave.

Future releases will be distributed differently, so don't worry about it, I won't use Kazaa again.  I know you'll like the game.

Jodo Kast

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: DGMacphee on Wed 31/12/2003 04:15:56
Am I imagining things or did this thread mysteriously shrink in the wash?

Ummm ... I was wondering that too.

I'm a little confused here.

Perhaps we have a forum poltergeist or something?  A gremlin perhaps?  A ghoulie?  A critter?  A boogins?

])]v[

Bryce

QuoteThe demos are on Kazaa. Why insist on whining about what I am - or am not - doing for you? I am not your personal slave.

Um... I'm not whining. In fact,  I have been very realistic and helpful to you. I've given you positive feedback in return for this new demo. I have whined none.

Also, I asked for instructions on how to get these files. I've looked for "LBCBR" and gotten no results. Am I searching for the wrong keyword? This is hardly whining. In fact, I'm doing what I can in my best efforts to HELP YOU OUT, even though I don't necessarily believe that you have a demo.

I've been supportive of this project, helped with suggestions for backgrounds, given feedback, and I get this "whining" crap. Please save it for someone who deserves it.

Again, I'm trying to help you out. I honestly want to help you out in anyway that I can within reason, but my offers to host your files have resulted in nothing. I'm sorry for trying to be helpful Jodo.

I've stuck up for you throughout this entire discussion Jodo. I've put time and effort into helping you out with feedback, suggestions, and even a background! Really, why are you attacking basically the only person who's stuck up for you? I haven't really said it, but I don't' believe that you have a demo. But I do believe that everyone has jumped the gun, and I want to help you out in rectifying the situation. Please don't attack someone that's only offering a helping hand.

-Bryce

AGA

I am the reason this thread keeps shrinking. I delete all the posts that have no actual relevance to the game (most of them).

Erpy

Jodo, your statement that the game will take place in the present somewhat clashes with the statement on your site that it's important to you to keep with the spirit of the original. Blackthorne gave some arguments why changing the timeline may cause complications. It's not just the family tree, it's the entire essence of the game that may be subject to change. And it might make people wonder why Laura simply doesn't use her cellphone to contact the police after the first body is found.

I'm curious to the reason for this change. It's not because you're reluctant to do large amounts of editing on the character models in order to make them fit a 20's look, is it? The main questions are "Why?" and "Are you absolutely sure about this?"

I'm all for overhauls when the game in question calls for it (KQ2), but Laura Bow had a fairly stable plotbase to begin with.

Eero

Nice one, LucasFan!
Jodo, please give us at least a sig2dat link, if you don't want to upload the demos elsewhere...

Jodo Kast

Please see my previous message regarding my demo and Kazaa.

If Erpy had not deleted my posts and banned me from their forums I would be more than happy to help you with Kazaa.  

But Erpy made it clear I have to start over in this forum.  So you can look at the website or help me with the game (see first post in this thread).

Do you get it yet?  It's hard to respond to one Erpy who banishes me.  It might be better if you used a different name so I don't automatically ignore you.  You see, DEMOS EQUAL AGDIFORUMS.  I am banished and my threads were deleted, the only place where I tell people to expect demos in 2003.  Now read the first post of this thread over again.  It says demos in 2004.  No mention of demos that have already been released.  If you want to find them, search for technology demo or lbcbr in Kazaa.  If the 3 people who downloaded my demos don't share you can blame them.  I deleted my Test Demos I created specifically for the visitors at AGDIFORUMS.  For more than obvious reasons!  Now I am banned so the project starts anew (as you can see from the website).

Thanks for understanding.

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

BTW. the Cellphone doesn't work.  Laura can try it again and get the same response.

Must be because the island is out in the bayou?

BTW: I felt the original KQ2 plot was superior to the rewrite, only because I got sick of looking at the muddy VGA graphics. See?  Even a good plot can't save bad graphics.  You just want it to frickin end already and kiss Valanice.  This is my opinion, and I'll trot it out happily...

Jodo Kast

Vel

Jodo, I wasnt very optimistic about your remake in the first place, but this modern days thing simply sucks. This wont be much of a remake, if it is being done and if it ever gets finished.

Erpy

Okay, I'm going to try and keep this as civil as possible, so my post won't get deleted, but you're rapidly wasting your credibility in my book.

QuoteThanks for understanding.

I don't understand anything. And I don't think I'm the only one.

QuotePlease see my previous message regarding my demo and Kazaa.

The problem is that your directions are not sufficient. Nobody can find it. And people who complain about it are labelled by you as whiners.

QuoteIf Erpy had not deleted my posts and banned me from their forums I would be more than happy to help you with Kazaa.

Nobody's gonna blame ME for YOUR attitude. I think you're just looking for excuses. This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Perhaps I should explain once more...

- The meaning of our game making forums is to allow people to help each other with game making questions. It's a crossbreed between the technical forum and the critics lounge. Not a recruitment place and we'd rather not have too many people just using it to draw publicity to their own project. You assumed you could just use our forums as a base of operations for your project. You were wrong.

- Your threads kept turning into flamewars. That's not why you were banned. Both sides were at fault. We removed the threads and asked people to drop the subject. We had grown tired of continously watching the thread and warning both sides to remain civil. (didn't work)

- After the threads were removed, we politely asked to drop the subject. Your project has had plenty of publicity, but future threads were doomed to become public spectacles. The rest didn't mind. You did.

- You kept attempting to create new CBR-threads on our forums or posted complaint threads about how we deleted work that "didn't match our style". (poppycock!) Since you were completely unwilling to put the issue to rest, we (and I'm speaking for the rest of the team too) decided to revoke your posting abilities until the whole hype had died down. I mentioned to you that I would lift the ban, but that I just didn't want any more CBR-related threads in our game making forum for a while.

- This forum was more suitable to promote your game, since it's the forum of the engine. (you're not using the forum of the "competition" to attract publicity)

QuoteBut Erpy made it clear I have to start over in this forum.

Yes, I did and you did.

QuoteSo you can look at the website or help me with the game (see first post in this thread).

I don't think you're in the mood to take anything I say as constructive, but I need to say it anyway. When I see other threads, I see developers who are answering questions from the visitors and taking feedback into account. You, on the other hand, ignore most of the feedback given to you and hardly answer any questions at all. When people comment on something, they expect you to defend it or agree with it, but you simply don't comment back at all. And when someone asks a question you don't want to answer you either ignore him or insult him. Other developers try to spread their work as much as possible, but you stubbornly refuse to listen to people. This is REALLY the wrong way to keep up your public relations.

QuoteDo you get it yet? It's hard to respond to one Erpy who banishes me. It might be better if you used a different name so I don't automatically ignore you.

I could have chosen to use some anonymous fake name, but decided just to use my own account, so I wouldn't feel like doing anything secretive. But I'm not the only one you've been ignoring.

QuoteYou see, DEMOS EQUAL AGDIFORUMS.

So just because you can't use our fanbase and popularity to feed on means you refuse to share any work? What's the reason? I don't understand.

QuoteI am banished and my threads were deleted, the only place where I tell people to expect demos in 2003.

I explained my reasons above. I'm willing to post the links of those old threads, but they no longer work anyway.

QuoteNow read the first post of this thread over again. It says demos in 2004.No mention of demos that have already been released.

You kept mentioning a christmas demo over and over again. It was to be found on Kazaa. I have proof to back up my statement. Here's the first posts of two of your threads in the AGDI forums. (one of them no longer in the game making forum)

Posted on 12-24-2003

QuoteLaura Bow: Colonel's Bequest Remake Demo is ready for download!

Just search Kazaa for LBCBR and it should come up. It will be easier to download as time passes...

Enjoy! Till Christmas 2004, Have a great new year!

Jodo Kast

Posted on 12-27-2003

QuoteErpy,

Where did the Laura Bow Remake Thread go?

I have screenshots I want to post from the demo for people who can't download it.

I am assuming you guys just want to mess with me. Any info would help as I am getting annoyed.

Jodo Kast

You make promises, so why refuse to live up to them now?

QuoteIf you want to find them, search for technology demo or lbcbr in Kazaa.

People can't find them. Everyone around here can confirm that.

QuoteIf the 3 people who downloaded my demos don't share you can blame them.

As the developer, it's YOUR responsibility to get YOUR work to people who are interested. You've had host offers aplenty. You can't pass the blame on others.

QuoteI deleted my Test Demos I created specifically for the visitors at AGDIFORUMS. For more than obvious reasons! Now I am banned so the project starts anew (as you can see from the website).

Why did you delete them? I don't see the obvious reasons, unless the reason was that people were disappointed by the demo's and took the liberty to tell you that. And me banning you is no reason to restart your project. Your project is (or SHOULD BE)completely unrelated to any 3th party forum whatsoever!

QuoteBTW: I felt the original KQ2 plot was superior to the rewrite, only because I got sick of looking at the muddy VGA graphics. See? Even a good plot can't save bad graphics. You just want it to frickin end already and kiss Valanice. This is my opinion, and I'll trot it out happily...

Completely unrelated to your thread and spam according to your own definitions. Once again, you're just trying to throw a jab at me.

Jodo Kast

Remember Erpy!

Nothing on AGDI Forums makes a DIFFERENCE because you deleted it!

It's gone!

Get over it!

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Quote from: Vel on Wed 31/12/2003 10:51:12
Jodo, I wasnt very optimistic about your remake in the first place, but this modern days thing simply sucks. This wont be much of a remake, if it is being done and if it ever gets finished.

Thanks for your support!

Jodo Kast

Vel

The Subliminal Messenger

I must admit, this is getting stupid.

Jodo, the King's Quest remakes were great games in everyone's opinions. A lot of people were sceptical about KQVGA when it was first announced, but once it was finished and done well, everyone thought Tierra were the best thing since sliced bread. So my advice to you is to shut up and make the damn game, so we'll all think you are the best thing since AGDI.

And in my opinion, AGDI's VGA graphics were far superior to any 3d technology, as I'm sure many will agree.

scotch

You just don't know when to stop, do you Vel?

When a thread has been locked and cleaned because you are posting flames and spam in it (which a moderator has already told you was the reason) then it is not a good idea to continue in the same vein on the new thread.  There is no need to respond to this post btw.

If Jodo is doing something wrong then the more responsible members of the board will deal with it.  He does not have to prove to anyone he has the ability to finish the project, or that he can design a good game, or that he has a demo.  It is unfortunate he would pretend he has one if he doesn't but that's hardly a good reason to make pages and pages of pointless posts about it.

This thread is for advertising, suggestions and feedback.  Not personal attacks or non constructive critisism.

If he can't finish the game then you've already got what you seem to want.  You can shut up now.

Erpy

QuoteRemember Erpy!

Nothing on AGDI Forums makes a DIFFERENCE because you deleted it!

It's gone!

Get over it!

Jodo Kast

If you're saying that the quotes I took from your posts are no longer relevant evidence because one of the threads is no longer on the public forum, I'd like to remind you that the "deleted" thread is still in the moderator forum and can be returned if I would have to.

"Get over it" is exactly what I wanted to say to you. According to your previous post, not me but you were the one who started beating this particular dead horse as an excuse as to why you weren't going to help anybody locate your demo. You using me as an excuse was something I didn't like at all. Whether you have a demo or not is not known. All I mentioned is that you promised screenshots and a demo and that you didn't deliver.

I was actually expecting you to react on my points. I'm disappointed you simply pretend I didn't answer your post.

Midnight Mist

QuoteThis thread is for advertising, suggestions and
feedback. Not personal attacks or non constructive critisism.

Yes, but he also said he has a demo out there for people to play. Anyone is yet to find his demo and when they ask
about it, he bashes them back calling them idiots or some
other kind of insult excuses.

What do you want them to do scotch?  ???

He asks for feedback on his demo, but yet no one can give it to him because he gets mad when people ask how to find it.

Blackthorne

Yeah,

People want to be supportive and give advice on this project, but it's hard when he says "The demo IS on Kazaa..." then someone politely says "I'm sorry, I can't find it..." and Jodo Kast immediately says "Quit whining, you unintelligent being!  It's not my fault you are a moron!".. How is one NOT supposed to respond to such brusque behavior?  

He is rude, and hostile towards pretty much everyone - even those that would give him real advice on his game.  Which I have.... I thought I made some decent points about moving the games setting to the present day and the conflicts to the games plot it presents.   Now he can take it or leave it (I have the suspicion he doesn't care what anyone says, and he'll do what HE wants) but he's alienating the community at large that could help him, and being just cold to people.  

Another point, yes, flaming him isn't going to help anyone in the long run, and continuing to post such things won't solve anything.  He's a stubborn, inflexible person who talks a great game, and I believe gets off on the reactions he drags out of people.  Who else around here gets 60 posts a day, and half of them deleted by the end of the day?  He has no inherent creedance to his words, but in some bastardly strange way, we give him credit by the sheer amount of good words and posts we send this way.  We ALL need to let this lie, and let his game either appear, or fade into obscurity.

Most of us around here are civil, especially to each other, and we work hard to form a supportive and constructive community.  No one is perfect, that's for sure, but I know there are quite a few smart and talented fellows out there.  We need not waste our time worrying about Jodo Kast's project.  Most of us have our own..... and as sickeningly entertaining as Jodo's threads CAN be at times, we need to stop the madness.  I mean, seriously, now I sound like and infomercial.

Bt

Pumaman

*sigh* not again. Look, these forums aren't here for your personal flame wars to transfer over from the Tierra forums. If you've got some sort of problem with each other, discuss it over there or by e-mail. We're not here to facilitate all this childish bickering.

I don't understand why you people keep posting replies. Either Jodo is having a laugh and trying to wind you up (and succeeding spectacularly), or he's serious about making the game but doesn't have clear direction on where he wants it to go.

Rather than arguing about whether this 'demo' does or does not exist, how about we all just leave this thread alone and come back in 6 months time. By that time, Jodo will have had some time to let all the details and screenshots settle down.

The previous thread was deleted with an explanation, but it seems that you guys just can't let it go for some reason, so please stop posting here if you've got nothing but snide remarks.

Jodo Kast

Pumaman I appreciate it.  

I *did* have to start over here in your forums, and the first thread did mention the demos I made for the folks over at AGDIforums.  With this new thread, I removed the references to the problems I encountered at AGDIforums, and removed references to the demo, but Erpy is still bringing it up again.

If I was banished from this forum, I would not return or acknowledge any of the work I had done here as well.  That's how it is when you are banished.  Both parties say 'Fthis' and go their separate ways.

So please Erpy, Vel, Blackthorne, MuzlakOofmay, go your own way and please ignore my project.  Or use fake names so when I see your message I don't automatically ignore it as Spam/Flame.

Thanks!

Jodo Kast

Erpy

QuoteI *did* have to start over here in your forums, and the first thread did mention the demos I made for the folks over at AGDIforums. With this new thread, I removed the references to the problems I encountered at AGDIforums, and removed references to the demo, but Erpy is still bringing it up again.

Okay, but we didn't know whether you had a demo or not. Everybody was under the impression that you had one and nobody understood why you didn't want to let people have it. Nobody would have brought it up if we would have had clarity regarding this matter.

QuoteIf I was banished from this forum, I would not return or acknowledge any of the work I had done here as well. That's how it is when you are banished. Both parties say 'Fthis' and go their separate ways.

You don't do work on a forum. That's just where you communicate with people about your project in order to keep them informed and answer their questions and comments. So as I removed the thread on the AGDI-forums, no work was lost because you just posted there. You didn't use the forum itself to program or draw anything.

QuoteSo please Erpy, Vel, Blackthorne, MuzlakOofmay, go your own way and please ignore my project. Or use fake names so when I see your message I don't automatically ignore it as Spam/Flame.

Blackthorne's and Vel's comments could be argued about, but I'm curious where in this thread I flamed. If you can quote me on a post where I insulted you, I'll apologize. As for Muzlak, of all the people, he was probably one of the most supportive towards you and you can't accuse him of flaming and keep a straight face at the same time.

About fake names, I can't believe you're suggesting us to lie to you about our identities in order to be taken seriously. Does this also mean you've been judging each post on the poster, rather than the contents?

Ah well, it's a pity we couldn't communicate on the same wavelength.

Bryce

I tried emailing this guy, and look what it said:

Quotedelivery error: dd This user doesn't have a geocities.com account (lbcbr2004@geocities.com)
It seems that email is not a viable option. I'm going to respect CJ's wishes, but I'd prefer not to be called a flamer/spammer. I've supported his project until this last post.

If all you can do is attack your community, your project will fail. And after this, I'm gonna laugh. It's not surprising that you'll probably be banned from two forums. Then you'll have to infect some other community,

Matt Brown

* panda! boards up his adverture game forums, and hangs up sign, "no jodo allowed!"
word up

Jodo Kast

Erpy,

After you banished me from your AGDI forums, I am ignoring your 'wavelength'.

Bryce,

Why does it happen, whenever I feel like I am PERFECT, I go and screw up?!  You are right the e-mail address is actually lbcbr2004@yahoo.com  .  Feel free to keelhaul me for that one.  I am the biggest S.O.B. this planet has ever had to endure.  Most likely my future mistakes will make this one seem trivial.  I just want to warn you now.

Panda,

PumaMan already posted that these types of posts are inappropriate.  That is why you see poltergeists deleting messages... cuz posts of your nature fan the flame of others.

BTW, Panda,  I'll add Look Out Productions to my personal blacklist of companies/groups who are so competitive in nature, they leave nasty posts on message boards.

Thanks for your input/feedback/support!  Remember even if you post nasty things on my thread, I still appreciate the fact you care so much about the new Colonel's Bequest.  Even tho you may not agree with my public relations strategy (inspired by Karl Rove), the game itself will not embarrass the AGS community.

Jodo Kast

BerserkerTails

Here's some crit:

I played the demo. the one LucasFan uploaded... And I want to know... Whta happened to the 3d characters and backgrounds??

It only shows for a quick second, a remade screen in beautiful VGA, and a nice VGA Laura Bow sprite. I like this style, and think it's better for the game than the 3d, but I'm just wondering WHAT HAPPENED? All this time you've been talking about 3d, and I finally get the demo, and it's NOT 3D!

Plus, that wasn't much of a demo. After ALL THAT WAITING, all the new stuff could've been shown in a screenshot.
I make music.

Nixxon

Jodo Kast

That's a fake demo made by professional Flamers.

Lucasfan and Vel are professionally flaming me.  It's great!

Keep up the marketing blitz pawnz!

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Nixxon

Quote from: Jodo Kast on Wed 31/12/2003 18:36:40
Quote from: Nixxon (IbeX) on Wed 31/12/2003 18:34:31
penish

I agree.

Jodo Kast

yeh i dunno, i'm shit faced, somewhat hard to create structured sentences... good luck with your project though... if it's real... and what not... sachmo

Angelus3K

BerserkerTails,

That demo was made by LucasFan thats why the backgrounds were so beautifull!!!

Jodo Kast

Why would I care about the characters and how they look if it wasn't real?

Most of what I know about creating backgrounds I have learned in the C&C forums, so hopefully you'll like what you see.

Jodo Kast

Nixxon

lol is it just me that finds irony in the fact that 'lucusfan' makes astoundingly good sierra type bg's?

Jodo Kast

Quote from: Angelus3K on Wed 31/12/2003 18:47:03
BerserkerTails,

That demo was made by LucasFan thats why the backgrounds were so beautifull!!!

Then why the he11 was it posted in my thread?  Because LucasFan, Angelus3K and Vel are professional Flamers.

Is there anybody I'm forgetting?  Erpy is forgiven cuz it's his job to represent Tierra forums.  I can't even read the Tierra forums so I'm not sure why he thinks I can, or even care to.

Jodo Kast

FakeName

hey jodo

get bent, you flaming pile of stinky cow manure

sincerely

fakename

Nixxon

lol everytime i refresh, there's atleast 2 more posts... this is insane :P

Jodo Kast

I think Fifi is sexy enough.

What do you guys think.  I'll make her look like Lara Croft.... lol.

Jodo Kast

Nixxon

Quote from: Jodo Kast on Wed 31/12/2003 18:52:10
I think Fifi is sexy enough.

What do you guys think.  I'll make her look like Lara Croft.... lol.

Jodo Kast

lol, implement some 'dead or alive'  physics and your on your way :D

Angelus3K

Jodo Kast when have I flamed you??

And some feedback, your characters look really good! I've never heard of 'Poser' before but it sounds like a powerful program!

Erpy

QuoteI can't even read the Tierra forums so I'm not sure why he thinks I can, or even care to.

Actually, I was referring only to posts you typed before your ban, so I assumed you still remembered them.

About you ignoring my wavelength, that's a shame, but if you would have been willing to respect our decision without attempting to post new threads, it wouldn't even have been considered. A pity you took it so personal.

Also, if this whole thing is actually what you call a public relations strategy, you're taking it waaay too far. Yes, bad publicity is also publicity, but every developer sooner or later needs help to get ahead and you may someday have to depend on someone whose respect you've wasted with this whole spectacle. There's a saying that says: "The toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow."

Matt Brown

omfg! I'm been blacklisted Im sooooo scared!
Lighten up man. we do stuff like this all the time here, dont get your panties tied up in a knot. If you have to be so defensive about everything, people arent going to play your stuff, and your games, no matter how good/bad they are, will rot on in the underbelly on the internet.

Trust me man. I've been down that road.

haha, I wouldnt call vel a professional anything :)

only kidding vel.

I downloaded the demo, and I too am confused. (I am of course, speaking of the lusucfan demo)

if what you said is true, that it isnt yours, then can we lock this thread or something, until you can show us something that you can certify is yours?

not meaning to be an ass actually, just confused
word up

Jodo Kast

Panda,

The only demos that were discussed were carried over from my ban at Tierra Forums.  For this reason I can no longer support my earlier released demos.  There's lots of new content and more stuff coming at the website (which you should visit if you say I haven't done anything).  Plus I'm sure replying to your post qualifies as doing something related to my project.

If you want to ban me, that's fine (as you stated earlier - I am banned).

So I get to ignore you.  It's fair, right?

I'll try not to ignore your posts if they are written intelligently (as Erpy has shown), but for now there's nothing new for me to say.

Jodo Kast

Blackthorne

Jesus Christmas!

Stop the madness people!  Erpy, arguing with Jodo isn't going to do one bit of good.  Just forget about it.  ALL OF US..... let this LIE..... let's come back at a later date and see if he comes up with anything....... let's forget the past, start a new year over, and give him time to show he's working on something.  This thread isn't doing ANYONE a bit of good!  We can critique when he posts something new, or adds to his site.  Until then, let's just stop!

Bt

Angelus3K

Quote from: Blackthorne519 on Wed 31/12/2003 19:18:15
Jesus Christmas!

Stop the madness people!  Erpy, arguing with Jodo isn't going to do one bit of good.  Just forget about it.  ALL OF US..... let this LIE..... let's come back at a later date and see if he comes up with anything....... let's forget the past, start a new year over, and give him time to show he's working on something.  This thread isn't doing ANYONE a bit of good!  We can critique when he posts something new, or adds to his site.  Until then, let's just stop!

Bt

Hear, Hear

Although Erpy was just trying to communicate Jodo turned it into an arguement, but lets just let sleeping dogs lie, accept Jodo lied about a demo and give him time to come up with some great backgrounds and characters!!

The Subliminal Messenger

Jodo Kast

People have played my demos, so just because you didn't, so what?

Are you going to continue to post about it and cry about it and say, maybe next year?

I think you will!  Cuz you are doing exactly that... flaming flaming flaming.

Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast

Quote from: Blackthorne519 on Wed 31/12/2003 19:18:15
Jesus Christmas!

Bt

Yer a pawn in my marketing blitz campaign.  You are increasing awareness of my project.  Thank you for your support!

This goes for Vel too.  Nothing you will say now will diminish the enjoyment people will get from the game.

Jodo Kast

deltamatrix

You have to get the last word don't you :-\

One big mistake I believe you've make Jodo is announcing the project too early in development. Really you should think up ur idea and give a big long try first and decide whether it can go the whole nine yards before advertising it.

There I said it.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Jodo Kast

Deltamatrix,

Thanks for your input.  We're ready to go.  It's like an unstoppable train now... who knows who it's going to plow into. Maybe another train?  I told Vamp3D that once I post Laura standing in a background or two, the flamers won't have much to talk about.  What fun is that?

Check out this awesome article: http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=329  "Commercial Adventures Are Dying? Hooray!" by Dave Gilbert

Also Ken Williams Q&A is great: http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=325

Aaron Loeb, Planet Moon Studios mentioned this about today's adventure games on the same Q&A page:
"[Designers] talk about them for very good reasonsâ€"we played them when we were kids and they convinced us that computers could be used to make incredible stories and game experiences. The question is, how do you take the best parts of adventure games (the fact that they seem to plug right into your imagination, make you part of a story and a world, make you actually feel something about characters) and bring them to modern games for a mass audience? It’s a very interesting and difficult to answer question."

I believe the answer lies in marketing campaigns that sell eagerly-anticipated games (like Colonel's Bequest).  On top of that our responsibility is to make YOU the Laura character, so you can enjoy a classic adventure game experience without being distracted by the form of the game (like text parser and blocky graphics).

Have a Happy New Year!!!!!

Jodo Kast

P.S. Some of you may get annoyed but I can tell when this page is updated.  I check the index and see if anyone has posted.  If they haven't, I close it (takes 2 seconds to check).  Also you can surf anonymously if you wish to ask a forum why they banned you, just go to: http://www.space.net.au/~thomas/quickbrowse.html

I recommend ProxyWeb, but it's your choice.  I know lots of tricks...

P.S.S. My apologies to Text Parsers and Blocky Graphics... you guys have your place!  Retro is cool.

Jodo Kast

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

If you visit my website and you can't see the menu, the color is set to the Default Font color.  So if your Default Font color is black, you won't see nothin!

Instead, go to Tools -> Options and click on Colors and click on use Windows Colors.  If this doesn't fix it, manually change your Link colors so you can see them.

Jodo Kast

Blackthorne

Quote from: Jodo Kast on Wed 31/12/2003 19:27:53

Yer a pawn in my marketing blitz campaign.  You are increasing awareness of my project.  Thank you for your support!

This goes for Vel too.  Nothing you will say now will diminish the enjoyment people will get from the game.

Jodo Kast

Uh, you're welcome?

Bt

Darth Mandarb

Jodo - good luck with your game.

Here's a healthy tip from good ol' DM ...

cheers,
])]v[

Jodo Kast

Bryce

Jodo,

If I recall correctly, you said that you had to do this because "programming is what you do."

With every passing post, you prove yourself more and more an idiot. I am officially a flamer now, but you know what? I don't care. Because you started it against me. You act like you have the power seat all the time, pushing people around, and saying that it's their responsibiiity if we can't download the game of KazAA.

Every freaking day you make yourself sound more and more like a freaking baby and idiot. I've offered so much help, and you take it as spam/flame. Do you even know what spam is? I'd really like it if you could look back through your posts. Every time I post some long post, and say a bunch of stuff, you post some crap like, "Thanks!" or "STop flaming, Muzlak!" Well, why don't you find one example of a flame before you said quit whining. I DARE you to look through this thread for any spam/flame.

Of course, asking you to do this little effort is too much to ask for. You will reply with nothing more than "shut up. Because your name is muzlak, I won't listen to you." That freaking crap is getting so old!

It's freaking KIDS like you that make projects as serious as mine look bad. You are an embarrassment to humanity. Please, get a life. I don't even want to see this game anymore. All my support for this project is completely gone because you point yourself as the victim, and everyone else as the enemy.

I remember the early days at TIerra when you posted a KQ3 background and we helped you with it.  Back when we thought you were civilized. But I remember at the end of this, you said something like, I'm not gonna pursue it because I'm working on this gameboy game. BULL CRAP. You never did any of this!

I'm tired of hearing your bull crap stories about how every else is the enemy. Please, for the good of the universe, shut up.

(You can start saying your Amens now)

AGA

Alright guys, well done. That's another locked thread. Jodo, lemme know when you've got an update to make, and I'll temporarily unlock the thread. Until then, this, and any other threads you might start regarding this game, will stay locked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk