Pirate Fry 2: The Hand of Anturus...

Started by Squinky, Thu 24/10/2002 06:27:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Squinky

Yep, Pirate Fry 2: The Hand of Anturus is still in production.....

Pirate Monty Fry finds himself thrown into the middle of a diabolical plot when he accepts a mission to find the mysterious Hand of Anturus.  I've been working on this game for awhile and I guaruntee it will be a worthwhile download...

Progress:
Recently I've started over the project from scratch. I originally was working on it in ags 2.14, then had some problems importing it into a newer ags...

I've been re-doing all the backgrounds, characters, dialoges, everything....I'm hopeing to have some real progress in the next couple of months...

Download the demo here:
http://squinky6.tripod.com/squinkyproductions/id3.html

Now this demo was made a couple months ago, and the full game will feature enhanced graphics and puzzles and general betterness....

----Edit 11/14/02----

The game will be divided into these categorys just so I can better describe at what point I am at. It might seem goofy, but to me it seems like an easy way for me to describe my progress...

Playable intro/Demo area
Act 1, the real begining of the game
Act 2, the middle of the game
Act 3, which is the ending portion of the game
Finale, the final cutscenes and credits

Currently I am finished re-doing the Intro/Demo, and have a good start on act 1. I really have most of the elements finished for the next three acts, I just need to re-do backgrounds and character art, and add some more goodness. So theres where I'm at...More updates soon...
Maybe some screen shots.

-----Edit 11/26/2002-----

Act 1 is nearly finished, just needs some additional tweaking....
So, I just posted here to let you guys know....

------Edit 11/30/2002------
I've finally added some screenshots, with my newer style....So if you played the demo, you can see what I've been wasting my time fixing...

-----Edit 12/18/2002----------------------------------
Okay, act one is pretty much finished, Yep, I'm always saying that....
Act one alone consists of 26 rooms so far, about four are non interactive scenes for cutscenes and titles, and it's jam packed with Pirate Fry goodness...
I am really doing some cool stuff, this is pretty much the game I've always wanted to play...

-----Edit-----01/02/2003---------------------------------
I had figured I'd be done by now, but am I....no.
I've started cutting things out of the game, stuff that I realize now is crappola...I'm taking my vacation next week, so I'm hopeing for some real motivation to get this thing done. But anyway, with the cuts, It should speed me a bit...

Snake

Heh, can't wait to play the demo. I'll download it tomorrow though...need sleepy....

I'll start promoting EN tomorrow too!1! EEEE!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

jAcK-o

and from what i have seen of the newer screens, etc Squinky is working on...

yeah...can't WAIT to play it...cept the bastard won't release an updated Demo he has said..
grrrrr...

i guess i do get to test it ?
*kills the psychosomatic concept of love*

"Life, the gift you sometimes want to return for something better."

Squinky

Yes, you get to test it and make all of the music, yay!!

Speaking of which, does anybody want to  be an official beta-tester?

Gonzo

I wouldn't mind beta-testing it for ya, Squink. As long as it doesn't reach the beta stage in mid-January when my exams come up...

Snake

"Gonzo [New game site coming soon - watch this space]"

I've been watching that damned space for ages...

--EDIT---
SQUiNKY!1! I love the demo! This game is gonna kick ass, man. I can't wait...hurry up :)
Heh, I forgot all about that pirate gambler guy being named after me, cool. I loved the intro sequence with Fry's bowling ball headed friend. Some funny shit ;) Will he join Fry during his adventure at all?

--Snake

Gonzo

I've changed it just now, coincidentally, just before I read your post! Crazy! My site's hosted by Sylpher, so thanks to him. Post on the dead forum I have, or else. :)

The Pirate Fry 2 demo is awesome, as was the first game, I much look forward to the full game, with the enhanced graphics (rubs hands). :)

Squinky

Cool, Gonzo, I'll contact you when I get to a stage for beta-testing, then if your busy, you can just tell me to go to hell...heh...

And Snake, In the revamped version the character named after you is actually going to speak, yay !!!
The bowling ball guy is going to appear off and on during the adventure too....so yay!!! Yay for me, yay for pudding!

MillsJROSS

I can't wait for this game...Squinky. I love your sense of humor.

-MillsJROSS

jAcK-o

SilentEvil

wow that demo is awesome. But im stuck, how do i get the ball off of the roulette machine, or isnt thta possible in the demo. Im assuming i have to use that ball on the mans cup to win the game and get the prize?

Squinky

Demo Spoiler
You need the magnet from inside the roullete machine....
Look around outside the pirates guild....in the alley...

Squinky

Updated the original post with a teeny little progress report....

Snake

QuoteAct 1 is nearly finished, just needs some additional tweaking....
So, I just posted here to let you guys know....

Don't you hate it when nobody cares?

lol, just kidding, man

Hurry up, damn you! We've been waiting for fricken ages ;)

--Snake

Squinky

Heh,

I'm planning on getting it done soon man...

Squinky

I've added some screenshots....Finally....

Snake

Sweeet! They look awesome, man. Great improvement from the demo's graphics ;)

--Snake

Gonzo

As if I wasn't enduring an agonising enough wait for Pirate Fry 2, you go and post these absolutely awesome screenshots! This looks incredible, I played through the demo for the second time last week and the improvement is so huge. As much as I liked the graphics of the first game and the Hand Of Anturus demo, this looks just wonderful. I can't wait man...keep us posted in this thread. :)

Squinky

Okay, so I've put a little update on the top post, and thanks Gonzo, thats really motivational....:)

Gonzo

Ohh, Act One finished, cool! How many acts are there in the game?

Squinky

Three along with the intro/demo area and the final cutscenes...
But most of the work is done now as far as backgrounds, I shouldn't add more than another 10 to 15 rooms....So, hopefully I can pick up the pace...

Squinky

Matt Brown

great shots! This is one of the games that I really am looking forward to the most, as I loved the first one. one of the more under-rated AGS games i think
word up

jAcK-o

agreed 100% on the under rated factor.
Be he my brother or not, Pirate Fry and what my bro made there(even if it wasnt a scripting masterpiece) exceeds in the ways of humour and character more than a lot of the "big names".
No, i won't name any names, but the ones i am talking about were glorious in their own right.
I just think more kudos should go to Squinky for a wonderful game, and what i PROMISE(since i got's insider info)will be a spectacular sequal.

Gonzo

I've said a couple times that Pirate Fry 1 deserves so much more appreciation, it's a gem of a game. But I think the sequel will be one of the big boys of 2003, so that's gonna mean Squinky will get the kudos he deserves for his work. Maybe more people will play and like the original when Pirate Fry 2 comes out and kicks ass.

Ionias

Wow. I played the demo ages ago and loved it. I can't wait to play the revamped version. Those screenshots are looking good.

26 rooms in just the first act! Sheezzz. :) How many rooms total will be in this game? You still have 3 acts to go don't you?

Squinky

Ionias....now that I've spelled your name for the first time...I just realized how neat-o it was, heh. The game is probably going to be approx 35 to 40 interactive rooms.....but I've been cutting out crap and changing things....I'm trying to re-use areas of the game, this was a weakness in the first game...So, I'm not really adding many more rooms, just adding more interactions....

Gonzo, Jack-o, Mr.Panda, Ionios and the tin man....
Thank you so much for posting your opinions, it really helps me too focus more on the game, which has been a problem for me lately....Really, I love this community...thanks again guys...

My vacation starts tonight, I'm off for eleven days, and I'm gonna bust ass on this as much as I can....

Pet Terry

Now I have started waiting this game more... this looks really cool and Pirate Fry 1 is very good game. I like your style Squinky :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

poop

Squinky

Er...Well, I haven't made any dramatic progress here lately. But I promise to keep you updated, Mister Poop...

Quickstrike

Are you still in need of BETA testers?  I can be one if you want.  And, how close to BETA are you?
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Trapezoid

Squinky

Well, I just sent a url for a beta to snake tonight....
This isn't a complete beta though, just a partial. Not everything is done...
I'm gonna wait and see what Snake says, then maybe upload another beta, and then I'll definately let both of you guys test for me. I really apreciate the offer by the way...

Quickstrike

"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Snake

I just want to let everybody know, that this game is gonna kick all your asses. All your base are belong to Squinky.

That is all.

--Snake

Trapezoid

Snake

Trap, I haven't seen Squinky around, it's kinda weird. Hope nothing serious happened :(

Anyway, I'll update a little for him:

He asked me a while ago to join The Pirate Fry 2 project, which I did. Wether this is concrete yet, I don't know. I have made him custom cursors which he has said that he has put in the game already, and I have given him a few ideas for the custom GUI. So far I helped with one puzzle.
He still has yet to get back to me on them GUIs...hopefully he comes back from limbo some time soon...

There's an update for ye :)

--Snake

Trapezoid

I believe I saw him today in the goodoldadventures.com chat thingy. Thought it could've been the other Squinky...

Snake

Trapezoid

Squinky

Nope that was me trap, having kooky fun chasing you down and trying to kill your goose self...

And Snake is a concrete part of the project now, that is unless you break free from my mind control....

I'm mulling over your gui Ideas Snake, and kinda taking a break little break from the forums, but nothing serious....So thats why I haven't been to social lately...

Anyways, I'll try to get a more apropriate update on here soon, and Snake I'll catch you on msn soon hopefully...

Squinky

Heres a new screenshot that Snake made up to show the new cursors....The screen itself isn't actaully done but, well, what the hell...

Timosity

that's cool Squinky,

How much longer do we have to wait for this masterpiece, no need to rush, but just rush anyway, I've been hanging out for this for ages.

Snake

One thing that I need to get done, Tim, are those damned GUIs ;)

--Snake

Timosity

Ah, just use the default GUI,

just kidding, take as much time as you like Snake

MillsJROSS

Trapezoid

Ooh, cool. I like the exclamation mark bubble.

Neole

Iz that a speech balloon I see?? Are all the dialogs in speech balloons??

Pet Terry

Woah! It looks awesome! I want to play it :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Trapezoid

Neole: I think it's one of the cursors.

Snake

Just to clear up any confusion before it starts. Trap is my girlfriend.

--Snake

..er...wait, that's not it...

ah, oh yes. The regular talk bubble (over Fry's head - but without words in it) will change into the bubble with the exclamtion point when it's over a character.
There we go.

Minor MW update:
Neole: If I could figure it out, all the speech for Monkey Wrench would be in talk bubbles since that's how I picture it. Squinky and I have decided to go with animated talking views (characters face in box), for now.

--Snake

RickJ

Hey Squinky,

Is there a Fry-2 walk through?  

Squinky

You mean for the demo? I don't think I have one up somewhere...but if you need one I could e-mail it to ya...

RickJ

I finished the demo and it's way cool.  So now when are you going to have a beta ready for us?   We are waiting on you, so get to work.  D)

Squinky

Hey thanks rick, I'm hopefully gonna have something soon, just gotta get motivated...

Matt Brown

word up

Quickstrike

I know!  I'll kidnap Ron Gilbert and make him write MI5!  It will be so good or so bad, that you'll need to finish Pirate Fry 2.  I can keep him in my garage.

RickJ

I knew a guy once who completed a game and never released a beta and his balls  fell off.  And if that doesn't motivate you squinky then you are a sissy....   : 8)

Squinky

Oddly, that frightens me more than it motivates me, heh...

But I've been trudging along, got some sloppy scripts I'm trying to fix up, you guys will probably see me in the technical forum here shortly...

Snake

SQUiNKY!1

Check your e-mail, bud. I just sent you the Top GUI with the "animated" buttons (mouse down). You'll get the options GUI soon...

Sorry it took so long, I kinda forgot  :-\

screenie:

Hope you like it.

--Snake

RickJ

Snake, That looks absolutely superb!  

Quickstrike

I just urinated in my pants...That's so awesome

Squinky

Quote from: Quikstrike89 on Fri 28/02/2003 23:06:57
I just urinated in my pants...That's so awesome
Join the club...
Snake, Rock on with your gui making self, I'll try and slap that in tonight. One thing I think I like so far (from just this, I can't access my e-mail fully at work) is the options area, thats just cool as crap...

Man, now I got nothing holding me back...

Snake

Squinkis, here's the other part (push buttons)...

All you have to do is save target as...

I saved 'em as PNG so both (teh new one here and the other one I already showed you) are JPG-crappiness-free...

--Snake

Gonzo

That GUI looks wonderful, you even went to the trouble of having the little man look like a cute little mini-Fry! You guys are teasing us now, my anticipation of the game just goes up and up, dunno if I can take much more of this! :)

Quickstrike

I'm going into withdrawal, just like in the ROtN forums!  

Snake

Squinkermierweener, here's the Options GUI:

(save this one...or which ever one will work)
And here's a close-up of it:

I was thinking that you can put the sliders over to the right in that open space for Music, SFX, maybe game speed...blar blar...
1 suggestion:
There should also be a shortcut key to this GUI, like spacebar  or something...or at least a shortcut to the Inventory...

If you need or want anything changed, it'll be easy to fix since I made 2 versions (one without buttons)...

--EDIT--
I'm now starting on the custom text boxes...unless you prefer that stupid-looking white box ;)

It'll basically be the same outline as the blue bar that surrounds the GUI's above...or whatever you'd prefer.

--EDIT2--
Oh, hey, I know you probably already know, but just to make sure....
This GUI fills the screen, it'll go over the background, so make sure you turn the other GUI is off when this one is turned on...

--Snake

Quickstrike

I hate you, Snake...This torture has gone on long enough!  

Squinky

Hell yeah Snake, I got that stuff all slapped in the game, and as far as the text boxes, I'm with you on what you got planned....thanks again man...

Snake

Did you see the second edit?

--Snake

Squinky

Yeah, I just saw it, thanks man....I'll make sure and do that....

Snake

Cool.
When is the next beta coming, man? I can't wait to see the improvements ;D

*laughs and points at all the people who must wait for the final release*

;)
--Snake

Snake

Here we go, SQUiNKY:

It's very basic, but I think it fits well with the Pirate Fry theme...

NoTeS:
For the text color, I'm picturing either one of these; Yellow, Light Blue, Light Green, Black or White...whichever one you choose to go with is up to you anyway.
For the background color, all you have to do is match it up. I'd say a dark blue is in order (but lighter than the box's shadow) ;)
Um, you might find yourself testing it and see a gap somewhere or it is totally off...just reimport the screwed-up ones and try it again :)

Ah...I guess that's it for me, 'aint it? I got you the GUIs, the cursors, and the text box...now what? I'll tell you what, FiNiSH THe GaMe!!1

-btw, I liked your ideas for MW, I'll back to you soon...

--Snake

Squinky

Quote from: Snake on Mon 03/03/2003 00:51:09

Ah...I guess that's it for me, 'aint it? I got you the GUIs, the cursors, and the text box...now what? I'll tell you what, FiNiSH THe GaMe!!1

--Snake

Thats right, your debt to me is paid. And now for my final wish I shall free you from your lamp prison...
er...heh...

Thanks again man....I'll try this stuff out and get another beta up soon, this time I'll let the others beta too...
which I think was:
Snake
Trapezoid
quickstrike
Gonzo, if he's not busy with school...
and...I think Rickj?

If only I didn't have to work till next sunday! Blargh!

Trapezoid

Gonzo

Quote from: Squinky on Mon 03/03/2003 00:58:59
Thats right, your debt to me is paid. And now for my final wish I shall free you from your lamp prison...
er...heh...

Thanks again man....I'll try this stuff out and get another beta up soon, this time I'll let the others beta too...
which I think was:
Snake
Trapezoid
quickstrike
Gonzo, if he's not busy with school...
and...I think Rickj?

If only I didn't have to work till next sunday! Blargh!

Count me in Squinks, the pressure's off a little at school for the moment, so I should be able help with the beta testing...if you were planning on feedback through the IRC chat, I'll have to do it through forum PMs or e-mail instead, as my IRC has mysteriously stopped being able to connect. Don't know what you had in my mind, but I'd love to help out in any case...

agsking

Is it to late for another beta tester?
This is the game I'm waiting to play most, by far! :o
I love the new graphics style!
And snake, that is one cool GUI.

Quickstrike

Yay!  Quickstrike is BETA testing!  If only I, Quikstrike, were testing...

(j/k)  Many people make the mistake and I don't take offense to it.

RickJ

Squinky

Beta-Testers!
Okay, for the beta testers, Rickj set me up a "secret" forum awhile ago so you'll need to go here and sign up
http://artheartsoul.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/blusoft/YaBB.cgi
Then Rick can give you access to the pirate fry part of the forum. So just to clarify, when you sign up, you'll only see the public area, so don't freak out! Heh, rick will let you in to the specail area when he gets time....
So if you wanna go ahead and sign up for the board, we should be ready when the beta comes out...
The list of beta-testers is:
Snake
Trapezoid
quickstrike
Gonzo
Rickj
And Ags king, I would like to use you further along in the testing if you don't mind, I'll get in touch with you when I reach that point...
I promise I will release a beta this upcoming sunday or monday...it will probably be a first in a series though, since snake found a lot of problems...
Thanks again people...

RickJ

Arrr! Mates.  Them what got their keys to the beta forum is in the list below.  

* Snake
* Trapezoid

Welcome aboard ....

Quickstrike

RickJ

And now all them beta testers is ready ....

* Snake
* Trapezoid
* Gonzo
* Quikstrike89

Gonzo

Cheers RickJ, looking forward to test-driving Squink's game.

Squinky

Cool, glad things are all setup...The way things are going now, the beta will be ready on monday, I got stumped on some mini game coding....

So....I'll be posting more info soon...

agsking

Should I sign up even though I will start beta testing in the future?
Thanks for leting me beta test, squinky  ;D

RickJ

agsking:  Go ahead and register to the forum.  I will give you access to the beta forum when Squinky tells me to.  He can tell you when that will be.

Squinky

Alrighty, the beta is released...further info on ricks forum....

Trapezoid

Um, the PF beta forum seems to be down.

Squinky

Yeah, I was having a prob with it earlier today....but it seems to be working again...

agsking

Ok i'm signed up. Now I guess its just a matter of waiting...

MillsJROSS

Wow...it's almost done, can't wait.

-MillsJROSS

Squinky

Whelp, I'm taking a short rejuvinating break from fry 2...Hopefully, I will have a finished beta shortly...

MillsJROSS

It's been shortly Squinky! I...am..so...impatient.

-MillsJROSS

Squinky

I hit a brickwall while working on this game, I'm working on a demonslayer game meant for aprils mags, but It took to long....

I'm shooting for july for this game here though, and I'll be glad to be done believe me...

Thanks for your interest though...

Gonzo

Much respect for you solidering on with Pirate Fry 2 even when it has become a bit of a chore, you've really stuck with it. I have trouble doing that with anything creative.

Squinky

Gonzo, I think most of us do....I'm just days away from releasing a pretty cool-ass game , and then I hope to tie up pirate fry pretty soon...

Squinky

********Newsflash****

Pirate Fry 2 is now back in production. Expect more progress reports soon...

Snake

w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

t

--Snake

PS
!1!11!!

agsking

RickJ

I think you all know this already but the forum has moved to the followin URL.

http://gaia-spa.com/cgi-bin/blusoft/YaBB.cgi

Squinky

To anyone concerned, I am once again working on this project, and fell as though I may finally complete it this month.

Oh, and I got trap helping me out with some mucsic along with using his cool-ass midi 30 pack....

earlwood

Woah, definetly alot better looking then the first one. I cant wait!

MillsJROSS

I've been awaiting this one for a looong time. I hope you finish it to your satisfaction. I know I'll probably love it.

-MillsJROSS

Squinky

Thanks Mills, I guess I just have to get over this final hump....

Finish Ace quest 2 dammnit!!!1111

remixor

Woooooo!  I was hoping very much this would get going again.  Good luck Squinky :)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Minimi

hmm.. i just played fry 1 ... and there are lots of bugs in it! Lets hope fry2 will be lot better!

Squinky

Thanks, I guess? heh...

Fry was my first game. I didn't use any scripting....so...thanks for playing it though.

I hope you enjoyed it even though it had bugs...

Squinky

Game released, check the announcement forums...

Now I ask that a moderator lock and burn this thread so that my curse may finally be lifted....

save me...please....

remixor

Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

AGA

Locked, but not burned. Your laziness will be recorded in time forever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk