[SOLVED] Help with file write before load?

Started by SpacePaw, Sun 14/03/2010 12:16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePaw

Okay. I'm getting mad...All I try to do is save some text file before loading save slot (which idicates which saveslot was loaded last). I specify the path to $SaveGameDir$ but it writes it in the compiled game folder! It happens for loading only :/ - when saving everything is ok
Code: ags
File *output = File.Open("$SAVEGAMEDIR$/ResumeGame.dat", eFileWrite); 

I do close the file later. I thought there might be a problem with the fact that the game loads (maybe it screws up the path or something and game doesn't wait for the file to be written before load) - so I made a simple hack:
while(!File.Exists("$SAVEGAMEDIR$/ResumeGame.dat"))
      Wait(10);

but it still saves in the game folder and loads the game normally - like it ignored the loop completely.
And no my savegamedir isn't the game folder - it's in my documents - I checked - Saved files do get written in there. So any ideas?

Pumaman

Can you post the contents of the script function that has this command in it?

SpacePaw

Save button click

if ( GetSelectedSlot ( ) == -1 )
// if there is no slot selected
{
  return;
}
else
{    
  if ( Game.GetSaveSlotDescription ( GetSelectedSlot ( ) ) )
  {
  // if the slot exists
    //Save last used load
    SaveResumeFile();    
    FreezeOptions = false;
    RestoreGameSlot ( GetSelectedSlot ( ) );
  }
}

SaveResumeFile(); content

{
    File *output = File.Open("$SAVEGAMEDIR$/ResumeGame.dat", eFileWrite); 
	  output.WriteInt(GetSelectedSlot());
	  output.Close();
    //HERE I INSERTED THE HACK BUT IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL
}

SaveResumeFile() works just fine when called when saving game...Did I forget about something?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Is this meant for something like a continue feature when you start the game?  If so, a real quick workaround that doesn't involve writing files at all would be to have a special save slot that is overwritten each time a new save is made with the same data as that save (kind of like a quicksave).  Then when you choose continue or whatnot it restores from the special slot. 

SpacePaw

Good thinking Progz! outside the box :) But still that thing bothers me because who knows when I'll need to save some information to the file before load...

For now your idea sounds great though, thank you :)

SpacePaw

AAAH! MY FAULT MY FAULT! I tried to do what progz suggested and I deleted whole save .dat file but...it still did save it. That's when i realized that there's some code executing before my function - And I found it! I forgot to delete one old function which did all that mess _-_
So sorry about that :/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk