MAGS 2008-05: Conspiracy

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/05/2008 08:31:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by last month's winner ShonenAiGuy:

Topic: Conspiracy

There are many stories about conspiracies: aliens, crop circles, sinister government agencies,...
Now it is up to you to tell a tale like this... There is no restriction in which way your story should go.
Use your imagination!

Items to include (these must appear in your inventory at some time):
- Some type of spy gadget
- Dark suits

Things to include (optional, to give you some ideas):
- Black shades
- Aliens
- Evil scientist
- Foreign spies

There are no further restrictions so you are very free in terms of game design. Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by May 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Akatosh

Looks like my theme exactly.  :)

LeafThief

Awesome - although i ain't got no time I think of actually entering this month. That topic is sure as hell great!

Brad Newsom

I'm going to say 'F*** my Mouse problems', I will enter this one! Though I will need others to beta test....

Eggie

I'm glad the MAGS rules are starting to get a bit more loose and freeing.
For a while they were starting to look more like design documents than guidelines for a competetition.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Agreed.  I'd actually enter this one if I had some time.

None

Is there any rules about entering MAGS, if you picked the topic?  ;D I really find the deadline focuses me!

Klaus

Quote from: ShonenAiGuy on Sat 03/05/2008 04:29:36
Is there any rules about entering MAGS, if you picked the topic?
You are welcome to enter the competition if you want to! The only restriction is that you can "only" win three times in a row. This happened in 2005 - some of you might remember Wretched and his games.

Questionable

If you win 3x in a row, can you NEVER win again? or you just have to sit out for a while?
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

miguel

That is correct, even if you make the fourth Monkey Island and be aproved by George Lucas himself.

Sorry, bad joke... ;D
Working on a RON game!!!!!

BOYD1981

i was kind of inspired by this month's guidelines and have come up with something i'm going try develop into a game.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

rock_chick

Because of this quote I'm wondering why a person can win a MAGS competition more than once.[/quote]

Klaus

So time is up and May 25th is near: Please post your games within the next 30 hours (see timestamp of this post) then the voting will begin - if there are any entries here then... :)

Alarconte

Is normal that the people to abandon the thread like that, and the last day submitt games? xD Or it will be a Ghost-Mags?
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Klaus

Quote from: Alarconte on Sat 24/05/2008 18:57:44
Is normal that the people to abandon the thread like that, and the last day submitt games? xD Or it will be a Ghost-Mags?
Well, all is possible - so we shall see :)

Play_Pretend

While researching for this MAGS, I uncovered a massive conspiracy that doesn't want the truth to be released in my game.  They don't even want me to tel

I mean, everything is fine.  Please go back to your competition and pay no attention to this obviously crazy post.

Alarconte

I will love to see the conspiracy games, is a interesting theme ^^

I thinked in make some MAG, but I was finishing my demo...
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Colxfile

Quote from: Strange Visitor on Sat 24/05/2008 20:18:15
While researching for this MAGS, I uncovered a massive conspiracy that doesn't want the truth to be released in my game.  They don't even want me to tel...

You too? This can't be a conincidence...

:P
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Akatosh

Yeah, well, sorry. No game from me. I finished the intro and the first puzzle, then real life sort of intervened.

King_wiking

Sorry about the late entrance. Here it is anyhow.  :)

I'm not crazy, right - The Cell
http://files.filefront.com/Im+not+crazy+right+The+2zip/;10349187;/fileinfo.html

PS: I didn't have time to upload a screenshoot. Hopefully. Noone will mind and play the game anyway.

Fun Fact 2: It's also my first game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk