Author Topic: AGS 3.1 now available!  (Read 27836 times)

Pumaman

• Creator of AGS
  • Administrator
  • Mittens King
  • I sense danger.
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Pumaman worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Pumaman worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2008, 21:13 by Pumaman »

Trent R

• "I am the weapon" -Richard Cypher
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with scripting
Re: AGS 3.1 now available!
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2008, 18:22 »
Yay!!!! Absolutely love it CJ!!

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2008, 23:30 »
Yay, yay, as for the blue screen of death, yep it's media manager..ANYWAY glad this is final..
No more military army stuff. I'm alive and back.

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
  • Just tween it.
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2014, for 'Tween Module'
    • Edmundito worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Edmundito worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2008, 03:52 »
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.5.0!

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Dualnames worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Nov 2008, 11:14 »
I don't know if you wrote it..

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32937.0

I'm talking about this one.
No more military army stuff. I'm alive and back.

« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2008, 11:59 »
CJ, thank you so much for your hard work on this editor. It was and is a source of inspiration in my life and it only keeps getting better and better.

« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2008, 12:20 »
Totally agree.
To see how much effort and work are you putting in AGS, is a great motivation.
Specially if the working on a game stucks on some points.

Big Thx, CJ.  :)

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
  • Just tween it.
    •  
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2008, 14:50 »
I don't know if you wrote it..

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32937.0

I'm talking about this one.

Nope, but I tried something similar years ago under the same name:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19045.0

I didn't know there was a new one! that's cool!

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Knight
  • still mowing the lawn
    • abstauber worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • abstauber worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #8 on: 05 Nov 2008, 15:00 »
Even if I feel a bit hypocritical, posting here again after such a long time... Thanks a lot for this great release. I really really like the 3.x branch of AGS!

« Reply #9 on: 06 Nov 2008, 15:52 »
Great job! On to AGS 3.2 it is!  ;D

"break" can be simulated as monkey_05_06 has demonstrated (though I would like to add support for it in future).
"switch" can be simulated by using "else if"s (thoug again, I agree it's not as nice and it would be good to add switch support in future.

I can't say how many times I wanted to use a switch in my code. (I mean, all the if's and else if's are ugly and make the code unclear and bulky.)

Pretty please with sugar on top look into this for the next version! Thanks!  :=
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2008, 16:02 by Electroshokker »

Pumaman

• Creator of AGS
  • Administrator
  • Mittens King
  • I sense danger.
    •  
« Reply #10 on: 07 Nov 2008, 21:14 »
Glad you guys are enjoying the new version :)

I've now uploaded it to the website, and if no issues are found in a couple of days I'll set the Check For Updates feature to recognise it and send out the e-mail.

I can't say how many times I wanted to use a switch in my code. (I mean, all the if's and else if's are ugly and make the code unclear and bulky.)

Pretty please with sugar on top look into this for the next version! Thanks

No promises I'm afraid -- I appreciate that not having it is a bit messy, but it's not top of my priority list at the moment.

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
  • Just tween it.
    •  
« Reply #11 on: 07 Nov 2008, 23:32 »
Code: [Select]
switch (Pumaman.Status) {
case eBusy:
     Frown();
     break;
default:
     RequestSwitchFeature();
}

Lt. Smash

• He beats everyone!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2008, 19:36 »
I got this error while testing my game in debug mode:
Error: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
Paramname: length
Version: AGS 3.1.0.60

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
   at AGS.Editor.DebugController.ParseCallStackIntoObjectForm(String callStackFromEngine, String errorMessage)
   at AGS.Editor.DebugController._communicator_MessageReceived(XmlDocument doc)
   at AGS.Editor.NamedPipesEngineCommunication.MessageSenderThread()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
What cause this error: It seems that I was running my code into something like a loop. Function A calls Function B. Function B calls Function C. C calls A. A -> B....
What could the errormsg mean: Shouldn't the callstack open? Instead I got this error message and when closing it AGS hung up.

Question: Where can I see the call stack? When I get an error message, it says at the bottom check the call stack.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2008, 20:14 by Lt. Smash »

Trent R

« Reply #13 on: 08 Nov 2008, 20:22 »
Where can I delete the search history? I have stupid things in there such as "on_ev", figuring I could delete them by pressing the delete key while selecting from the pull-down.

I assume that it's stored somewhere in the install folder... right?

~Trent

Another thing I noticed. I have high-res coordinates in scripts turned on. When I use FaceLocation, the ~box shows high-res, but Walk and WalkStraight shows low-res (Start move to x, y). I don't know about other functions, as I've only used these two so far.

~Trent
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2008, 21:18 by Trent R »
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Pumaman

• Creator of AGS
  • Administrator
  • Mittens King
  • I sense danger.
    •  
« Reply #14 on: 09 Nov 2008, 00:28 »
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The length cannot be smaller than 0 (null).
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChec ks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
What could the errormsg mean: Shouldn't the callstack open? Instead I got this error message and when closing it AGS hung up.

Ah... I can reproduce this error if the call stack has more than 5 functions in it. I'll look into a fix.

Question: Where can I see the call stack? When I get an error message, it says at the bottom check the call stack.

A new window should open at the bottom of the editor with the call stack in it. However, if it's crashing with that error that you just posted, this probably isn't happening as a result.

Where can I delete the search history? I have stupid things in there such as "on_ev", figuring I could delete them by pressing the delete key while selecting from the pull-down.

You can't delete entries from the search history, however it will only remember the most recent 20 so it won't go on adding entries forever. I strongly recommend that you just leave it... if for some reason you really have to delete those entries, you'll need to dive into the registry which I wouldn't recommend.

Another thing I noticed. I have high-res coordinates in scripts turned on. When I use FaceLocation, the ~box shows high-res, but Walk and WalkStraight shows low-res (Start move to x, y). I don't know about other functions, as I've only used these two so far.

Thanks for the report. The Debug Console hasn't had much love recently so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit dodgy, I'll take a look.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2008, 00:31 by Pumaman »

Trent R

« Reply #15 on: 09 Nov 2008, 07:14 »
Search entries: It keeps 20 entries? I didn't figure that out, I just noticed that it was keeping some of my 'pointless' searches. Thanks for the reply.

Debug Console: Ya it's old, and as soon as Dualnames can upload it I hope to be using the Console2b module instead. But right now I'm coding my battle system and I show the console as an extra tool. It doesn't get in the way for me, so I just leave it there.

~Trent
PS-One thing that annoys me with the new search is that focus priority goes to it when it's visible. I'd like to be able to search, and then click the script and edit it--while leaving the search still open to search for the next thing.

rbaleksandar

• Life is the biggest adventure.
    • I can help with translating
« Reply #16 on: 09 Nov 2008, 09:40 »
First - thanks a lot! :)

Like the new things added to AGS :)
Second - I have question, that may sound dull, but anyway I am going to ask it  ;D
How can we upgrade AGS without uninstalling the previous version. And one more thing. I opened AGS this morning, with the thought of continuing my project. Then I decided to make a short visit on the website just to see that a new version is available. So with AGS running (stupid I know, but I forgot to turn it off) I uninstalled it. Well surprisingly it uninstalled some things...But AGS was still running and no warning message occurred. The main application was still standing in the installation folder after uninstalling it along with other files like the NativeCompiler.dll (Demo game was missing) How is it possible to uninstall a running application, to get it uninstalled and there it is still running and kicking  ???

PS: How do you get the blue screen of death from the media manager? I don't have problems with it and AGS 3.1 ...  ::)
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

Lt. Smash

• He beats everyone!
« Reply #17 on: 09 Nov 2008, 11:16 »

A new window should open at the bottom of the editor with the call stack in it. However, if it's crashing with that error that you just posted, this probably isn't happening as a result.
Now I changed my code a bit and got a normal error (with that 'I've finished examining the error'-button):
Error running function '...':
Error: Script appears to be hung (a while loop ran 150001 times).
The problem may be in a calling function; check the call stack.
But there is no call stack. I haven't ever saw something like that in AGS. (I'm running the editor on a 1680x1050 display.)

Lt. Smash

• He beats everyone!
« Reply #18 on: 09 Nov 2008, 14:30 »
Debug feature request:
It would be really useful for debugging if we could see the content of specific/all variables.
There would be a list with the current stored variables and their values.
At the moment I have to put a Display command everywhere when the content gets changed, to see where the error could be.
The list would have an ideal place where the normal output window normally is.

Pumaman

• Creator of AGS
  • Administrator
  • Mittens King
  • I sense danger.
    •  
« Reply #19 on: 09 Nov 2008, 15:48 »
PS-One thing that annoys me with the new search is that focus priority goes to it when it's visible. I'd like to be able to search, and then click the script and edit it--while leaving the search still open to search for the next thing.

Well, you can close the window, edit the script, and then just press F3 to find the next match...

How can we upgrade AGS without uninstalling the previous version. And one more thing. I opened AGS this morning, with the thought of continuing my project. Then I decided to make a short visit on the website just to see that a new version is available. So with AGS running (stupid I know, but I forgot to turn it off) I uninstalled it. Well surprisingly it uninstalled some things...But AGS was still running and no warning message occurred.

You don't need to uninstall the old version of AGS first. You can have both versions installed at the same time if you want.

As for uninstalling while it's still in use ... looks like a quirk with the installer, I'll see if there's anything I can do to prevent that.

How do you get the blue screen of death from the media manager? I don't have problems with it and AGS 3.1 ... 

It sounded like Dualnames' problem was related to some sort of driver that he has installed, it's not a general problem with the Media Manager plugin.

Now I changed my code a bit and got a normal error (with that 'I've finished examining the error'-button):
But there is no call stack. I haven't ever saw something like that in AGS.

Are you saying that this Call Stack window doesn't appear:

Debug feature request:
It would be really useful for debugging if we could see the content of specific/all variables.
There would be a list with the current stored variables and their values.

Yes, this is something I'd like to do -- however it would require significant changes to the script compiler and interpreter, and is a very big job that I haven't had time to do yet.