MAGS 2009-02: Your Favorite Book

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/02/2009 15:31:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Your Favorite Book

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Dualnames:

Remember your favorite book? Wouldn't an adventure game about it be nice?
Well, all you're restricted is make a game based on a book, whether you make that book
or some chapter of that book, into a game, or base your game's story and plot on a book.

When you join the contest please let us know which book your entry is based on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by February 23rd.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

JuuL

Interesting guidelines. I might make something this month, depending on how much spare time I have. But I promise nothing.
I just have a few questions of clarification... just to be completely sure:
1. The title is 'your favorite book', but the description of the rules just say 'a book'. Which is the right one?
2. I assume that we are talking about fiction and not other kinds of books?
3. Should the book be the original work or can we use anything that has (also) been published in book form?
4. How close should the game be to the book? Should the last sentence be interpreted to say that the game just has to take place in the same world as the book without necessarily being based on the same story?

Akatosh

Hm... interesting idea. I know I've been saying this for the last, like, 13 months without ever actually entering, but I might have something up my sleeve this time for sure. Would it be ok if the game only loosely followed the original plot - as in, using the same setting at the same point in time and space, but not actually stringently following the book?

uncle-mum

I'd love to enter this - and I'd do the Yellow Wallpaper as it's only short, mostly set in one room and odd as ten - but alas I really don't think I could come up with something that would either do the book justice or be worth entering.

Great idea for a MAGs though, can't wait to see what get produced.

Peder 🚀

Book: The Dig ;D
Download game here: http://dig.mixnmojo.com/downloads/digdemo.exe
Screenshot:

8)

Seriously though, it would be cool to make a game based on a part of the book where you include the aliens alot more as in the book, or as the playable characters somehow.

(Sorry for posting such an unserious post in here)

Ubel

Unfortunately these guidelines will be difficult for those who want to make the game in English but have read books translated to a language that is not English. The names of people and places and well known phrases in books are often translated and sometimes greatly modified, which means that you'd have to read the original version of the book first in order to make an accurate game out of it. I for one can't read a book AND make a game in one month. But hopefully too many people won't encounter this problem.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Pablo on Sun 01/02/2009 23:12:29
Unfortunately these guidelines will be difficult for those who want to make the game in English but have read books translated to a language that is not English. The names of people and places and well known phrases in books are often translated and sometimes greatly modified, which means that you'd have to read the original version of the book first in order to make an accurate game out of it. I for one can't read a book AND make a game in one month. But hopefully too many people won't encounter this problem.

The guidelines are broad enough to the point where he states to make a game based on a book, and not on an original edition of a book. I'd say your opening doors which needn't be left open.

Tijne

I don't think the game has to be about a popular book, or even use phrases in the book; It just has to be related in some way to a part of a book. :) .. Right?  At least that's how I read it. xD

There are also a ton of 'short stories' that I think qualify too; so if we really do have to make a closer adaptation, you could always just read a quick hour-long story as a backup plan. ^^;

Snarky

Can you give an example? I mean, I guess they do this with children's books, or if a name is a pun or something, but usually they'll keep the original, surely? I mean, if you're reading Moby-Dick in any other language, it's still going to be about Ahab, Ishmael, Queeqeg et al. (apart maybe for some changes in spelling), right? (That book would make for an interesting adventure game, by the way.)

Besides, even if it is different; if you've already read it, it's not like you have to read the entire thing again in English. You can just look up the names and phrases you want to get right. You can probably even just ask people around here what the various bits are called in English. If you screw anything up, you can just fix it in a later version.

Ubel

I was thinking along the lines of Harry Potter and HHGTTG, where most or some names are changed. But sure, it's possible that it's only a problem for perfectionists such as myself.

nihilyst

What is this 'book' thing you're constantly talking about. ;P

Now this is a topic I'd like to participate, but I can't, unfortunately :(

Minimi

OK, I'm going to try to make a game this month! You might say, Minimi? Yes I'm actually going to make something again with AGS ;)

so I'm going to base my game on The Bible, well atleast a chapter out of it. Hopefully I'll have it done in time, as I have to find out again how AGS worked, lol :P

Ghost

Snarky

Quote from: Pablo on Mon 02/02/2009 00:57:19
I was thinking along the lines of Harry Potter and HHGTTG, where most or some names are changed. But sure, it's possible that it's only a problem for perfectionists such as myself.

Ah, that's simple, then. Just look it up on Wikipedia. Each character will probably have an entry in your language, and then you just switch to the English version to see what they're named in the original. Easy!

Stumblebum

Oooh, I like this one.  As this will be my first game, period, I can not promise anything in the quality department.  Honestly, it may not even be complete by the deadline.  Either way, I'm off to the library tomorrow to reread my favorite Nabokov novel and give this MAGS a shot.  (Don't worry, I won't be making "The Sultry Adventures of Lolita" or anything like that)
Monkey Mind

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This is a great topic, really.  If I had some time I'd definitely make an entry.

Akatosh

Ok, if the guidelines can really be interpreted that loosely, I'm going to give it at least a try, too. Also, it seems the book has only been released in Germany and the Netherlands so far, so I might not get that much flaming from over-zealous fans.  :=

limeTree

luckily,there is internet so the original is just a click away

kaputtnik

I hope everybody is looking forward to my conversion of the epic classic "Operating your Electrolux Dishwasher".
I, object.

Dualnames

I'm glad you all like some part of the rules, and I like that the majority of you have some controversies about the guidelines, and I like you all promised an entry, you won't declared that won't be posting.. and well, I decided to go with something quite free as a subject, since remaking a whole book, might take longer than a month, so that wouldn't really be possible for one to make an entry. As for Pablo, well, just make the game your language and hire a translator.

Now if one wants to make a parody of a book, according to the guidelines he's free to do it.

The game should be close enough to the book, as to sort of make someone that have read it realize that. Tijne got the point.
Listen:
1) You want to make ANYTHING related to a famous book? You can
2) You want to remake a scene of a book? You can
3) You want to make fun of a book? You can

Anything that reminscents a book, is a valid entry. Any book..(even economics book, yes those with the charts and algorithms and all)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk