MAGS January: Early Classic Horror (Winner!)

Started by Dualnames, Fri 01/01/2010 11:15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competition, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Early Classic Horror:

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Kastchey:

Your game must contain the following phrase: "Oh my God... he's alive!"
(she/it alternatively) and either the player character or an NPC must be a typical
monster from those 30s-60s horror films.

Examples:
- A mummy
- A vampire
- A werewolf
- King-Kong or another oversized animal-like monster
- Frankenstein
- Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde
- Anything else that cries old school horror.

It would be nice if your game had a setting typical for an old horror film (or book):
a large old house, a castle in a desolate area, a Victorian age rainy town, a spooky
forest - but that's not strictly required.

Have fun!

All games till the 256th.

Thread Rules:

1)  Comments are allowed at all times but should be hidden before and while the voting.

2)  Participators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here, and only IF the game has a serious bug that makes it crash. Due to the inability of keeping track of versions of the games, I've settled to this.

So you can patch your game, if it crashes or if it can't be completed.

Have fun this month too!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winner

Discordance!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Oh #$%ing YES  ;D

If I manage to make a good story, I am in.

Quote- Frankenstein
A common mistake, it is not Frankenstein, it is Frankenstein's monster. Frankenstein himself was a doctor.

NsMn

He was a psychological monster.

Anyway, this is the best theme ever, at least for me. I hope I can come up with something good.

Eggie

Also; I call my vacuum cleaner a Dyson, not a Dyson Brand Vacuum Cleaner Designed By Mr. Dyson (actually I don't because I don't own that brand of vacuum cleaner but...ahem).

Although I agree calling the monster from the Frankenstein story 'Frankenstein' is incorrect, calling that TYPE of monster 'a frankenstein' is fine in my book.

Also, may I just say: BEST THEME EVVVVEERRRRR!!

Chicky

I totally may have to enter this awesomely horrific theme.

Dualnames

Quote from: Chicky on Fri 01/01/2010 15:55:17
I totally may have to enter this awesomely horrific theme.

I told Kastchey, that themes like that make me wish I wasn't a host! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/01/2010 16:11:18
But can't you just make a game if you like the theme? ;)

Scarab

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 01/01/2010 16:13:04
Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/01/2010 16:11:18
But can't you just make a game if you like the theme? ;)

Yeah, It used to be about the love man, the love of making games.
Ever since your big break in Hollywood all you can think about is winning,
you've changed man...
I'm not even sure it can ever be the same between us :'(

:=

Dualnames

You're right Scarab, the money has made me blind, I only get laid with hot chicks and earn money! Where has my life gone to!

Kastchey

QuoteA common mistake, it is not Frankenstein, it is Frankenstein's monster. Frankenstein himself was a doctor.
I was referring to both of them: 1) the image of a frankenstein-type monster known from popular culture (the theme mainly focuses on popular culture after all) - a humanoid with greenish skin, short black hair, arms thrown forward, and only able to utter unintelligible animal-like sounds, or 2) the deranged sciencist stitching body parts together - hence the general term "Frankenstein" in my list of examples :)
You are free to your own interpretation and could choose any of the two, or even something closer to the original Frankenstein and his eloquent and sophisticated creation if you want - just stay more or less on the subject.

I'm happy you like the theme guys, good luck to all of you who decide to enter :)

Bulbapuck

Hmm.. I may enter this one. The theme is awesome :D
I will start now, can't promise I'll finish though.

SomeSickSelf

So I put down my book of Lovecraft stories, log in to the forums and see this. Kastchey, you have just made my day.

Blobby 101

Arrgh! Completely forgot about last month's competition! Just found my half finished entry on my HDD and realised Christmas had got the better of me xD Well, I love the theme of this one, really hope to be able to enter this time :)

DOWNLOAD

Darius Poyer

The theme sounds great, not that i am an avid fan of classic horror, but this would definitely be a good way to introduce myself to the inner working of the AGS engine.

could i post a thread for a MAGS game in the "AGS games in production" Forum? i figured i might want to make a call for testers at some point, also show a few screens as well.

Dualnames

Sure you can do that Darius. As long as you comply with the two screenshots rule, there's no limitation.

Victor6

Awesome theme, shame I don't have time \ willpower \ organizational skills sufficient to get something done right now.

However might be willing to provide some artwork in exchange for on-screen credit.

Radiant

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/01/2010 11:15:45
Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

Why not? I remember having lots of fun with the Me Go Store series.

Dualnames

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 03/01/2010 16:58:26
Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/01/2010 11:15:45
Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

Why not? I remember having lots of fun with the Me Go Store series.

Me Go Store was a fastly created game. Not rushed in terms of quality.

Radiant

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 03/01/2010 17:15:30Me Go Store was a fastly created game. Not rushed in terms of quality.
Sure, but it was (to my knowledge) created in a few days. Come to think of it, there have been several other MAGS entries made in a short amount of time. Now this may not be what you intended, but the sentence does appear to disallow games made in a few days.

Dualnames

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 04/01/2010 07:52:31
Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 03/01/2010 17:15:30Me Go Store was a fastly created game. Not rushed in terms of quality.
Sure, but it was (to my knowledge) created in a few days. Come to think of it, there have been several other MAGS entries made in a short amount of time. Now this may not be what you intended, but the sentence does appear to disallow games made in a few days.

True. Point taken.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk