What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 31/12/2016 12:54:14
This year is about to end, and many celebrate with fireworks.

As if the world hasn't had enough explosions this year.

So yeah:

+1

(Thank god the only thing they do here in Japan is ring the temple bells at midnight)

Adeel

Here, it has become a custom to do aerial firing on new year's eve. This is obviously not only illegal but also quite dangerous. Many people get injured and even get killed due to it.

Cassiebsg

What do you mean by "aerial firing?" 8-0

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 31/12/2016 12:54:14
There's one thing that grinds my gears, and I thought it might be worth pointing out today.
This year is about to end, and many celebrate with fireworks. One problem however, is that
some people start way before midnight, and continue with the fireworks for hours afterwards too.
All the noise and racket is annoying for me, but an absolutely terrifying experience for all dogs
in the area, so I hope anyone reading this send a thought to the poor animals and wait until midnight
with the fireworks, and then don't keep at it for too long.

The only time I've had that problem where I live was at the year 2000. And damn it, they went on for hours!
So while I've never had any dogs (I have had rabbits who enjoyed the fireworks) I do understand your pain, +1 all the way.

Adeel

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 31/12/2016 17:50:56
What do you mean by "aerial firing?" 8-0

In simple terms, aerial firing is referred to the dumb phenomenon of pointing your gun towards the sky (usually at an angle), and firing a few shots. Some go even far, and empty their whole magazine into the sky.

The Wikipedia article explains this in a much better way, if you're interested.

Cassiebsg

Oh... I got the mental image os ppl launching fireworks from planes or balloons... (roll)
Don't ppl know that bullets that go up will eventually come down, with potential deadly outcome if they hit someone? 8-0

Adeel

Thanks to my absent-mindedness, I forgot to mention the key point that aerial firing is done to 'show' celebration (as the Wikipedia article rightly states).

According to the reports, a minor was killed, and 20 people were injured this time.

Retro Wolf

How about when you see a game with beautiful pixel art, there's always one guy in the comments that says something along the lines of: "Pfft looks like a NES game, why doesn't the lazy developer make the effort to make some real graphics!".

CaptainD

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 10/01/2017 16:29:27
How about when you see a game with beautiful pixel art, there's always one guy in the comments that says something along the lines of: "Pfft looks like a NES game, why doesn't the lazy developer make the effort to make some real graphics!".

On a similar note, people complaining that "indie games always have stupid cartoon-style graphics" despite the indie scene being home to a myriad vastly contrasting visual styles.

(And anyway what's wrong with stupid cartoon-style graphics exactly?! :grin: :tongue: :wink:)

Danvzare

On a related note, they always call pixel art "8-bit graphics" even when that pixel art looks nothing like something you'd find on an 8-bit system, and isn't even remotely 8-bit in colour depth. 8-bit is not synonymous with pixel art! >:(

Mandle

Yeah, a lot of people (probably mostly young'uns) don't understand that the style of the graphics and the tone of the game go hand-in-hand, and that a comedic game probably wouldn't work with the graphics style of "The Last Of Us".

I hear the same rubbish from non-gamer grownups when they see modern games with pixel art, and when I try to explain that it's done on purpose and the reasons for doing so they just roll their eyes and say "I don't care. It still looks bad."

It's like trying to explain Picasso to someone who says "It doesn't look real. A four-year-old could paint that. It's crap."... Best to just give up and not further grind your already ground-down gears...

Stupot

My eye has been twitching for a couple of hours now. And even when it's not twitching it's on some kind of contstant half-twitch. No amount of blinking, massaging or leaving it alone is having any effect. My gears are being well and truly ground.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that I only seem to remember important things or get good ideas when I'm using the bathroom/in bed and about to go to sleep/ in a hurry to catch the next train or otherwise busy and occupied.
Meanwhile, when I actually have time, my brain is completely empty.

Slasher

Blondbraid;

keep a notepad on you at all times (even in the bath (laugh)).

Retro Wolf

More like annoying than making me angry, Google thinks I'm a Muslim. There's always an advert for Muslim brides or some religious event. A few years ago Adeel was talking about Ramadan, so I googled it out of curiosity. Did it a few times when he mentioned stuff. I do have Ad-blocker, but only on my laptop.

Adeel

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 23/03/2017 14:45:04
More like annoying than making me angry, Google thinks I'm a Muslim. There's always an advert for Muslim brides or some religious event. A few years ago Adeel was talking about Ramadan, so I googled it out of curiosity. Did it a few times when he mentioned stuff. I do have Ad-blocker, but only on my laptop.
(laugh)(laugh)

Gurok

Retro Wolf, I think you should embrace your newfound religious devotion.

Google thinks I'm retirement age. I get advertisements for arthritis, cancer, diabetes and liver spot treatments.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

I keep getting adverts for the company I bloody work for!

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 24/03/2017 01:16:42
I keep getting adverts for the company I bloody work for!

Does your company have anything for Twitchy Eye Sydrome?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk