Awards 2013 - For Your Consideration

Started by , Tue 31/12/2013 22:57:05

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

Have you made a game in 2013? Would you like to compete in the AGS Awards 2013?
That's the right topic to showcase it!
Post a download link, a brief description and some pictures (thumbnails preferred, here is an excellent FYC post from last year).

Don't be shy, by posting your game you're greatly helping the players who will take some time to play/nominate/vote!

As usual, a couple of notes:
  • if you think a game deserves mention but the author isn't around, post a FYC for him/her! The more worthy games we get here, the better is for everyone
  • this thread is for FYC posts only, if you want to discuss the awards check the AGS Awards 2013 topic

Hernald

Go on then; I offer for your consideration Baldy's Adventure.
Released in January 2013 with distinctive hand crafted graphics.
It is the tale of a man and his dog. And some goblins, and a dragon, and a dark god.
Baldy can't find William his dog.                              Baldy runs some errands for his elderly neighbour Jessica.
Baldy approaches Grimes' Mansion.                         Lanky is down on his luck.
In the rubbish heap/larder of a fearsome ogre.        Confronting a ravenous dragon.
The Unsavory Mr. Grimes.                                           Baldy is a keen gardener.

Click on the link below to go to the game page.

Dualnames

Here comes the biggest plotwist in the history of plotwists. Give me a couple of days, and it shall arrive. I've always loved this poster even though we went with something different.
Apparently.

Available here (The game's entry page in the database)

Plotz:

Set in a post-apocalyptic world strewn with cast-off machines, Primordia tells the story of Horatio Nullbuilt, a stoic robot who values his solitude and independence. Horatio spends his days studying the Book of Man, sparring with his droid companion Crispin, and tinkering with the airship they call home — a peaceful existence that becomes threatened when a rogue robot steals the energy source that the pair needs to survive.

Features:

• An epic storyline about the extinction of the human race
  • Voiceover work starring fan favorite Logan Cunningham (Bastion) and Abe Goldfarb
  • Gorgeous post-apocalyptic setting handdrawn by Victor Pflug
  • Optional puzzles – learn more about the world the more you play
  • An amazing soundtrack by Nathaniel Chambers, embedded around a music system similar, never before or after used in an AGS game
  • Millions of references and nods to cultural elements
  • Commentary mode.
  • Lots of endings.
  • Crispin Horatiobuilt
Screenshots:

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Volcan

Space Trash Demo

[imgzoom]http://agisite.zxq.net/spacetrash1a.gif[/imgzoom][imgzoom]http://agisite.zxq.net/spacetrash1b.gif[/imgzoom]

Four heroes got abducted by a strange light and they are inside of a spaceship named Pacifia.

You can choose one of four characters to play with.

- Carl Himdalls

- Robin Brocoli

- Inconcia Abomina

- Anne Trankyll

Here the link
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1750/

Nominate Space Trash for worst best Demo.

CaptainD

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 01/01/2014 09:59:20
Pretty sure, but the game was never in the database. I asked bici, and he said it's eligible.

Well I know what's going to sweep the board then! :-D  It would have been interesting to see Resonance and Primordia go head to head last year, both amazing games.  I'm really not certain which one would have come out the winner, they were both so good but in slightly different ways.

Anyway... I've got a couple of games to put up for consideration:

Troll Song Demo
(Hopefully worth a nod for Best Demo?  Also maybe for Tino's excellent Character Art and Background Art.  Maybe even voice work if you liked my infinitely cheesy fake French accent! (laugh))

Download Link

Captain Disaster in: "The Dark Side of the Moon"
(Maybe you might feel it's worthy of nomination for Best Short Game, Best Music, Best Dialogue Writing - though I fear many people who played the game might have missed most of the dialogues out?!  Maybe you liked the Player Character or Floyd as the Non-Player Character?)

Download Link

I would also like to draw attention to AprilSkies' excellent first game, Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor.  I'm still amazed that this was a first game.  Definitely in with a shout for Best Puzzles, Player Character, Background Art...

Download Link

Really the only other thing left to say is:

CLOD SAY VOTE FOR TROLL SONG IN ALL CATEG... CATIG... CAATT... ... ... TINGS.

Scavenger

HEATWAVE

Download it here.
A short story set in a cyberpunk future, where an ordinary guy deals with a power cut during a heatwave. Features:

• Elaborate cutscenes in the style of a very old videogame!
  • A detailed setting!
  • Damn good music!
  • Less than 257 colours!

Slasher

Deep Space Mission: are we alone?

Awards 2013: I wish to enter DSM for your consideration.

A space adventure game based around space, strange planets, danger and loneliness..

Dare you slip into the spacesuit of NASA astronaut John Dibble and find the answer to the burning question: "Are we alone?"

Download Deep Space Mission Game Here

slasher

AprilSkies

I would be honored to participate in the 2013 AGS Awards.
And I would thank CaptainD so much, first for playing and second for his interest and for his appreciation (Thanx Captain! I'm Honored).

I'm posting something that you have asked (description, download link and screenshots' thumbnails):

TITLE:  Donald Dowell and the ghost of Barker Manor

Description: Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor is an old-style point-and-click adventure game, inspired by the great Sierra and Lucas 90's classics. It has an old-fashion graphic style, totally hand-drawn. The drawings were scanned and colored with simple photo-editing programs.
Game interface is old style too (Old Sierra, icons Look, Walk, Talk, Interact).

Story: Donald Dowell is a nice old man in his eighties, retired for many years. Donald s life, except for his "intolerable" wife, is quiet. But Donald feels empty. He has the socalled retiree's syndrome : he s bored to death! The only way to cure his boredom is TO GO BACK TO WORK. After many hours spent in his city, trying to get hired for various jobs, he finally finds his calling: to be a GHOSTBUSTER! Donald will try to become Bob Delano s assistant (the most famous occult detective in Ireland), be involved in the investigation of Barker Manor and, hopefully, solve the mystery.

Strengths:
- Gothic cartoon style setting
- Handmade graphics
- Large quantity of characters and locations (37 non-player characters and 80 rooms)
- Length: over 10 hours (extimated by testers and some players)

DOWNLOAD THE GAME FROM AGS-GAME-PAGE

SCREENSHOTS (thumbnails):

Characters full cast:
[imgzoom]http://oldgames.arena80.it/arenauta11/Donald_D_little.jpg[/imgzoom]

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Yeppoh

For your consideration.

Nefasto's (Mis)Adventure - Meeting Noeroze - DEMO

A point and click game aimed for experienced adventure gamers, with notions and love for computer trivia.

It tells the story of a Game Data whose game has crashed at startup. Because of this he is trapped inside the Computer instead of being deleted. His presence is not very appreciated by the System. Instabilities, bugs, glitches and memory leaks appear. It is your job to find a way to get rid of him and save the Computer from an inevitable crash.

• Nicely animated cartoon characters
  • Varied and colourful environments
  • A big world to explore
  • Learn about its unique denizens and morals
  • Innovative use of items
  • Intuitive and simple interface
  • Witty and full of geeky humour

Suggested nomination for Best Demo.

An updated version of DirectX 9 on your computer is highly recommended.

Gribbler

Well, here's a love song to old-school point and clickers I wrote with Parafia :) It tells a story of a homeless man who communicates with the world using an old sock on his right hand. He's a huge football/soccer fan and plays it a lot near his backalley. One day he gets mugged by a wandering bully and loses his precious ball in the process. Now he must pull himself together, team up with a local superhero, find a new ball and confront his oppressor again.

Features:
- beautiful retro graphics and cool animations
- non stop absurd humour
- Crissy Ronaldo jokes and a Champions League athem!
- self proclaimed superhero (without a cape)
- a real ballad

Some screenshots:

You check out teaser and trailer, too:

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE

Etumretniw

For your consideration: Breakage.

Link for downloading

Description: Breakage is an old-style point-and-click adventure game in its heart, with a modernized control system. The game's graphics and animations are hand drawn.

Story: Something weird has happened. You wake up in a dungeon, and the world seems a mishmash of fantasy, sci-fi and reality. You must find out what has happened and what is going to happen, and perhaps stop it.

Features:

• 1024 x 768 resolution
  • Eight direction walk, talk and idle cycles
  • Lip-syncing to text
  • 34 rooms
  • 15 Non-player characters
  • Hand drawn graphics and animation
  • Intuitive controls
  • Silliness
  • Achievements for doing totally useless things!

Screenshots (thumbnails):

Examples of animation:

DoorKnobHandle

KTX-1

KTX-1 is a point'n'click that won the 2013 MAGS in March. It features a very unique interface that generates interactions dynamically depending on what the player clicked on. It's non-linear (giving you up to three different solutions for some puzzles, with different outcomes and consequences), it includes two optional minigames and the entire making of the game, from complete beginning to the very end, has been livestreamed in front of other AGSers and, to this day, can be re-watched on my channel http://www.twitch.tv/NihiLStarcraft.

The Art of Dying

The Art of Dying is a fast-paced action platformer. It features six build-in levels in two difficulty levels, a fully functional, visual and userfriendly editor build into the game that makes creating your own levels very simple and is supported by a website that can be used to upload and share community-made levels (http://dkh.agser.me/die).

Fizzii

For your consideration:

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

AGS Download Page

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

In desperation, the jarl of Jarnvidr has called for a Heroine, to stand against the forces of frost and put an end to the lasting winter. Her might, sorcery, and cunning may be humanity's last resort. Are you up to the task, or will you die trying?

Features:
- Explore the rich world of Norse mythology!
- Three character classes with separate side quests: use your strength as a warrior, the arcane arts as a sorceress, wit and guile as a rogue, or create a hybrid with skills from multiple classes.
- 32 distinct voice acted characters with animated portraits.
- Over 100 hand-painted backgrounds and 10,000 sprites in animations.
- Many monsters, including giants, trolls, and svartalfar.
- High replayability due to optional quests, alternative solutions, and the three different classes.

Official Trailer:
[embed=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzU3nybN5Y[/embed]

Voice Acting Preview Trailer
[embed=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-WDwlmOgo[/embed]

Please consider us for these awards:
- Best Programming - combat engine and NPC scheduling
- Best Non-Player Character - Ratatosk, the evil squirrel of DOOM!
- Best Documentation - full colour manual accompanying the game and in-game tutorial

miguel

Ancient Aliens
The Roots of Sound

Another year, another award and another game. I'll be a happy man if I can present you a game every year. It's a passion.

Please consider this 1st chapter of Ancient Aliens, a classic story of good versus evil, done with a noir touch!

Help Chet Gasbag to unravel the strange and dangerous legacy that landed at his feet after his father death. Professor Gasbag was an important archaeologist on the brink of discovering a source of power that could change the world.

Will Chet, a bohemian jazz trumpet carry on his father quest?
Words of the immense power  hidden somewhere in Africa have travelled half the world and Chet will not be alone. Danger peeps on every corner!
With the assistance of the lovely Vivian, Chet will start an adventure that will turn his life upside down.

Hand-drawn backgrounds and sprites, a fantastic original soundtrack and smart puzzles will bring you closer to Chet's Chicago of 1992!

And the plot and dialogues, did I mentioned how great they are?

Thank you for playing! And please do play all the games nominated and post your votes!

Spoiler
If you ever get to Portugal I'll buy you a beer if you vote for Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Sound! ;)
[close]

DOWNLOAD
AGS Database
Working on a RON game!!!!!

PuNKKoMmANDO77

This year Miciosegone Games have two games in the compition, The Path of the Pumpkin and A Cat's Night 2: Orazio goes to town

THE PATH OF THE PUMPKIN

Skar the Pumpkin and his assistant Mr.FeeFee, are two well-know detectives fro Treshopolis. One day, their dreary routine is shattered by an out-of-the-ordinary mission, that will take them on a hunt for a girl who as be kidnapped and forced to marry against her will. The two "detectives" have to do their utmost, in order to bring the case to a conclusion, but... this is only the beginning of something much bigger and much more involved!

60 Rooms!
80 Characters!
6 Chapter!
Twelve videos!
60 Tracks!

The game have also a full voiced italian version with 13000 voiced lines

AGS ARCHIVE
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1638/
MICIOSEGONE SITE
http://www.miciosegoneags.altervista.org/pumpkin.html

SCREEN

VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIDlqL3fjAY

A Cat's Night 2: Orazio Goes to town

The game take place some months after the first A Cat's Night, now Orazio live with in the city of Forlì with a Family and other cats. But the streets of Forlì are not safe for dogs and cats, because a group of evil people kidnaps the animals and take them away with a white van. The Feline Council decides to ask for help to the hero of the cattery Emergenza Randagi, Orazio!

AGS ARCHIVE
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1677/
MICIOSEGONE SITE
http://www.miciosegoneags.altervista.org/night2.html

SCREEN

Ponch

For your consideration, eh?

2034 A.C. (After Canada) [MAGS]

A heartwarming tale set in the cozy apocalypse of the Great White North, this little MAGS game is sure to bring a smile to your face as you explore the sweet little winter wonderland that is Canada of the near future. And it was all made in just three and a half weeks!

Please consider this game for: Best Player Character (Paige Rowsdower); Best Non-Player Character (Lord Mansfield Fancyhat); and Best Short Game (Because I like to dream big, eh?). I even created a little Roger smiley in a winter hat just for this game! Beauty, eh?

DOWNLOAD IT HERE, BUDDY

FNGames

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Absent: The Game
by fentonfilmgames

Absent is a story which follows the character of young-adult and college student, Murray Schull. He and his two best friends, Eve and Steve, attend a college in which students are disappearing daily. It's up to them to find out how this is happening, why this is happening, protect their other friends, and to put a stop to it once and for all.

Steve's girlfriend, Crystal, has mysteriously disappeared on her way home from college. But further into the investigation, and through Murray's new-found paranormal visions, Murray realises that whatever caused Crystal's disappearence was not anything from this earth. Alongside his vision, Murray is confronted with puzzles, with friends turning against each other, and all for one reason. The Reaper.

Special Features:
-A point/click, easy to use interface.
-Approximately twenty NPC's to interact with.
-Around forty playable rooms in the whole game.
-A completely original story with original art and characters created by myself. 
-A game so varied, I flipped a three sided coin to choose it's genre!
-Full Voice Acting.
-Full MP3 Soundtrack.
-It's completely free!

2012 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFV8vfTD1S4

Promotional Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raDsUQ7sEto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Teelt_OF14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItvAqt_9aY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4LVApR8sMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFLqQ82mW1I

DOWNLOAD THE GAME FOR FREE HERE

PLEASE CONSIDER ABSENT IN THESE CATEGORIES

Of course, we'd be grateful for a nomination in any category, but I'd say the areas that we are the most proud of overall are in the sound department:

Best Voice Acting
Many have praised this aspect of the game already, and I'm extremely proud of the voicework contributed by our cast.

Best Music
Originally intended as a MIDI soundtrack, it was since expanded and converted into a full MP3 soundtrack in collaboration with Adam Haynes.
Really proud of the final result. Take a listen to the full soundtrack here.

Thanks a lot everybody and enjoy the game!

-Fenton

kaput

For your consideration:
Jack Trekker - Somewhere in Egypt

Originally created for the eighth One Room One Week AGS competition 2013. Help man of steel, Jack Trekker, egomaniac ladies' man and stereotypical adventure hero, escape the tomb of the Three Sisters with the legendary Dildontus relic! With suggestive dialogue and awesome catchphrases, this game is sure to be one for the whole family to enjoy... and junk!

Gameplay:

[embed=560,315]<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M21_qujkB34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Please consider for these awards:
- Best Player Character - Jack Trekker, BOOM! 

Why should I vote for Jack?:
- Because let's face it - he's awesome. Aaaand he will be returning in 2014 in a full-length, fancy smanshy feature game! What better way to let Jack know how much you think he's da bomb, dude, than to lend your vote to the big man? Oooh yeah!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

elentgirl

For Your Consideration:

Adventure Island â€" my tribute to a genre of game I love.  It is not a direct copy of any particular game, but contains many allusions and references to classic adventure games as well as a few other types, and also movies, books and other sources.  Although the tone is light-hearted and the plot highly contrived, I have tried to make the puzzles challenging, with a wide range of types and varying difficulty.

Adventure Island is a full length game comprised of ten different sections, each with its own distinctive style and character, largely based on different sub-genres of adventure game.  The backgrounds range from photo-realism to highly stylised, as appropriate.  It plays mainly in the third person, though there are two short sections in first person view.  There are three playable characters and 20 other characters to interact with, plus a talking parrot!  All are fully voiced.

The game can be downloaded from the AGS game database, or from my web site:  www.adisland.webs.com   A Player Guide, with hints and solutions for all the puzzles, is also available from my web site.

Below, a selection of screen-shots.

selmiak

ETERNAL CHRYSALIS
(MAGS 11/2013)

A short adventure game based in Egypt, featuring a grumpy professor, a disgruntled assistant, a grave robber,
a mummy is about to be reanimated, gadgets, technology that definitely doesn't look like the ancient Egyptians made it,
and most importantly of all PINK SOCKS.

Please Consider ETERNAL CHRYSALIS for the following categories:

* Best Short Game
because it's fun and way too short
*Best Dialogue Writing
Because it's spot on and funny
* Best background art
because, why not try and see how this competes against the other entries.
* Best Music
Emont composed some great tunes while at the same time working on
his own game for this mags and Diane also made an anthemic ancient tune.
* Best Pink Socks as an Inventory Item
because

AGS MASTERMIND

Please Consider AGS MASTERMIND for the following categories:

* Best Non-Adventure Game Created with AGS
because tAoD needs competition
* Best Background Art
Because it's shiny
* Best Programming
because it's tricky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk