Swarm Development: Postmortem

Started by Baron, Thu 21/04/2011 04:58:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Sephiroth

Quote from: BaronI've tried to be very open thinking the more swarm members know the better the game will turn out

I was saying this about spoiler tags only for the actual players and those who don't want to read the details and possible solutions for puzzles, but of course anyone intrested in knowing/expending the plot would just have to highlight the text, I d'ont see any problem :)

Wyz

Well it's easy: anyone that will not participate but still likes to play the game should not visit this topic! You'll know when it's done when the topic title changes I'd say. :D

Btw, I have to agree, with the given background the first sprites looks much better. Good decision, Baron.

Too bad I already got my hour's work in, now I have to sit back and wait. :(
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Tabata

Quote from: Baron on Wed 11/05/2011 12:37:16
@Tabata: Regarding spoiler tags.... How do people feel about this?  I've tried to be very open thinking the more swarm members know the better the game will turn out, but that does come at the expense of keeping things secret for players.  Have we gone too far to change now?
I don't know, how „people“ feel about, but I can tell you, what I feel (not everytime ::), but about using spoilers here) 

For this very special experimental project I prefer to go without them, because:
1 # This is like a document, normally only creators can see, but this one is a very special process.
2 # Biggest part of the fun is about the process of making the game (or study it growing). So why not show it to all, who are interested to this path. The whole swarm should have the fun. This will be most of the active members anyway in the end  ;D, so it's not necessary to hide something.
3 # If someone has an interesting idea about an entry or problem, why not take assimilate it - The swarm is like borg, isn't it!?

So I say:
No spoilers, but a warning is needed:

Avoid this thread or you all will be assimilated!   

Now community, prepare yourself!

Give up! Don't ward off - you will be part of a bigger existance soon!

We      -     are     -     Borg    Baron's Swarm!

... with every thought to be known by each other!

Armageddon

Corby

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 11/05/2011 20:59:57
I already called that? :P

Yeah I'll just do the hallway.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were calling #1 on the list:

1) LAB BACKGROUND (claimed by Corby)
2) HALLWAY BACKGROUND (claimed by Armageddon)(or Buckethead?)
3) ROBOT LAB BACKGROUND (just thinking maybe a Bunsen burner/lighter instead of matches/lighter?)

I was going for #3 :) Can we switch that Baron?

Icey

Might have been said but what is the resolution for this game?

Ali

320x240, with backdrops drawn in a 320x200 area plus 20px letterbox at the top and bottom.

Icey

Thats good. I think I work better with anything 320x240 and lower. And also when is every thing do?

Baron

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 12/05/2011 00:31:15
Thats good. I think I work better with anything 320x240 and lower. And also when is every thing do?

Work is due when it's done, but don't drop off the face of the Earth for more than a week or I'll give your job to someone else.  Seriously, when you find the time in the near-ish future is fine.

@Corby     I'll update the the jobs post -sorry for any confusion.

@Tabata     I think it was Sephiroth that mentioned the spoiler tags and I just got confused, but I think you enunciated my general feeling as well.  There are spoilers laced throughout this thread already, and it will be hard to get everyone to edit their posts retrospectively.  As soon as we get two backgrounds I'm going to make some in-game mockups and start a GiP thread: this thread will be where all our dirty secrets are revealed and the GiP thread will be where only the "public" info will be posted.   

I also think we should shrink all characters to emoticon size and let Tabata be sprite design director  :o. 

abstauber

O' art consistency, where art thou  :-[

Anyway - here's the doctor, time ran out on the body, though.

Ghost

I just read through the whole thread, and:
a) was intrigued by the idea and it taking off so quickly,
b) laughed out loudly several times for the sheer awesomeness of it
c) cried a lot that I totally missed such a cool thing!

Aaaaand I spend ROUGHLY ONE HOUR reading the thread detailing the game progress that still unfolds. Does this in any way count as participation?

Good luckies!

Hudders

Quote from: Baron on Wed 11/05/2011 12:37:16
@Hudders: I think your draft has merit (although we've got some feature creep by adding another character  ;) ), but the doctor should tone down the overt silliness just a tad ("Wakey wakey!" for example).  Over the top creepy (which becomes absurd and therefore funny) would probably play out better.  More explanation of why Merrick is weedy and dressed in a vampire costume would be more important than rivalry with another facility plot-wise (good as the jokes were!).  You've also left out a few crucial bits of plot that the player will need: 1) different types of blood give the vampire the ability of that creature (dog blood for obedience in the plot draft), and 2) the facility is under attack giving him an opportunity to escape.

The General could be off-screen. But you make a good point about the facility being under attack - that should be the point where the Doctor exits stage left, I suppose.

This was just a first draft, dashed off in a couple of minutes to get some feedback. I'll write another later today.

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 12/05/2011 07:52:09
O' art consistency, where art thou  :-[

Is it necessary to restrict ourselves to exactly an hour each? I would think that going down that road would mean the project will eventually peter out as all the most enthusiastic members use up their hours. I already spent a bit of time drawing the front and side views of the Merrick sprite but I'm not counting that towards my participation.

As I see it, an hour should be the minimum commitment to the project with the key element of the swarm being that of collaboration rather than a strict adherence to the one hour time limit.

EDIT: Just a thought, but could the intro take place over several days as Merrick fades in and out of consciousness? Could just be done by fading in and out on the doctor, (i.e. seeing through Merrick's eyes).

Pinback

I'll take;

5) Giant (100-150px) Robo Monster -must have lasers and have pod/head big enough for two vampire twins

Hudders

Quote from: Pinback on Thu 12/05/2011 11:50:32
I'll take;

5) Giant (100-150px) Robo Monster -must have lasers and have pod/head big enough for two vampire twins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ED-209 ?

Scarab

Quote from: Hudders on Thu 12/05/2011 12:02:25
Quote from: Pinback on Thu 12/05/2011 11:50:32
I'll take;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ED-209 ?

I pictured this initially as well :P

Although tank-tracks as opposed to legs would significantly reduce animation efforts without much loss in aesthetics. (Although with a shake-screen/rubble falling effect, perhaps it would never have to actually walk...)

Hudders

Quote from: Scarab on Thu 12/05/2011 13:37:56
(Although with a shake-screen/rubble falling effect, perhaps it would never have to actually walk...)

Its legs could just be behind the part of the wall still standing. Kind of like the Metal Gear Solid level of Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Tabata

Quote from: Hudders on Thu 12/05/2011 09:49:57
Is it necessary to restrict ourselves to exactly an hour each? I would think that going down that road would mean the project will eventually peter out as all the most enthusiastic members use up their hours. I already spent a bit of time drawing the front and side views of the Merrick sprite but I'm not counting that towards my participation.
Some minutes more or less won't be the prob, but the guideline is set with one hour each.

Maybe contributors can find a way to deal with it by using the following definitions about measuring the time of one hour:

not counting: Since this is an open thread, the things put in here can be defined as brainstorming and to discuss about which direction to go on. It's like in the critics-threads, where you can find some hints, mock-ups and ideas for solving probs or any help and critics, you are looking for. All these members answering share their knowledge/oppinion for fun and are not creators or mentioned in the credits of the game, the author of the thread is on. Let's take the suggestions and entries for to show, what you do as what they are â€" normal forum-stuff from members. Otherwise it would be a disadvantage for the swarm compared to the usual producers.

counting depends on you: If you already got your theme and have questions or do a scetch to ask/show if your direction is right, it depends on your intension (doing a scetch can be don by everyone to explain something). So you are allowed to count it in if you want to, but it's not compulsorily.

to be counted: You got your theme and you know what you are going for: Start doing „your job“ now let the clock beginn ticking.

It's only my suggestion, of course, but I think, that it fits to the rules and leaves enough space to do own decisions.  ;)

Baron

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 12/05/2011 07:52:09
O' art consistency, where art thou  :-[

I like him!  I also like Hudder's idea of fading in and out (or eyes shutting and opening) over time -easily achieved effect but adds to the atmosphere.  Keep up the good work!

PS -We've been promoted to a sticky thread!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk