Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph DiPerla

Hey DC, are you using some graphics at all from the original PQ3 and PQ1 remake?
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

DCillusion

Aside from some of the GUI work from those games, it's all original.  I am, however, attempting to capture the style of 1 & 3 to integrate this one seamlessly between the other two.

Joseph DiPerla

Ahh excellent. I had four suggestions and more might come in as well. Being that this is a remake of the game, I dont see any harm in adding some more plot/puzzle work and features from the original.

First suggestion- Have a driving map feature like in PQ1 and PQ3, I always thought that driving would be awesome, especially since PQ1 and PQ3 have it. But maybe make it optional. For instance, use a text parser and type" Manual drive" to drive it yourself, or "Drive to: " to go automatically. But if you want to make this game fit in more with the other VGA, I would have it be in the game.

Two--- Since ags supports multi player functions, allow us to also be Keith and wonder off and do some stuff with him. Maybe even positioning him in the right place to be able to catch a criminal or shoot at Bains like in the park.

Three-  Add a text Parser for extra added functions. Keep the original GUI, but if we needed to push or be more specific in a certain area, we could use the Text Parser. Let me give you an example:

Use talk Function on a character:
Hey Sonny, how are you.

Use it again:
Is there something I can do for you Sonny?

A Third time:
Leave me alone will ya!?!?

But if you type something like this in the parser: "Book the evidence." or "Ask for arrest Warrant", it would give a more productive response.

I think the Text Parser would allow for more details to be used such as how to handle evidence and to use the evidence Kit he carries around, etc...

Four-- In game parser jokes. I used to write some funny stuff like "Kiss Toilet", or "Slap Girl" and I would get some funny results. Try adding some of these in-game gags as well. Try using Sci Studio from Bripro.com to decompile the game and see the script so you can recreate it better.

Just some thoughts, I might have some more.

I also wanted to state an opinion about a few features you might not add to the game, such as the changing of clothes. Sonny does go home at a certain point in the game, so it would have to be done in there I would think.

And as far as the terrorist thing... Yeah, take it out. Maybe do something like at an airport bank where someone is holding the bank up or something... I dont know. But being in NY on 911, it would be a good idea to take it out.

But good work on the game! Keep it Up.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

DCillusion

The only real additions I'm adding to the game are extended puzzles.  As there was no driving in Police Quest 2; so there won't be any in Police Quest 2.  I think of it like 1 & 3 had driving; 2 & 4 did not.

I don't think I could add a text parser.  VGA Police Quests didn't feature the parser.  I'm working on a strict schedule as it is, & so, unfortunately, I can't go crazy with the engine.

....Any suggestions are welcome.  Keep 'em coming.

Klytos

/// The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding
/// scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

I don't think the hijacking scene would be too touchy. It's in the original, I don't get flashbacks of 9/11 when I play the game. Why change something that worked so well in the original game?

DCillusion

That part of the game hasn't been finalized yet.  I had always considered that after 9/11 most Americans would be uncomfortable with the scene.

If possible, could some of the people on these forums P.M. me a Yay or Nay to that puzzle.  It would give a better idea.

jcsturgeon

Breathtaking!

I dunno what state you live in, but...

Marry me?

Haha, just playing... I cannot wait to play this!!!

Pumaman

Quote from: DCillusion on Sat 10/09/2005 03:48:16
I had always considered that after 9/11 most Americans would be uncomfortable with the scene.

Aeroplane hijackings happen, I don't think anyone could object to a scene like that in a game. After all, it was in the original and similar scenes feature in loads of Hollywood movies. Besides, it's not like the plot in PQ2 involved them trying to crash the plane into a building, they just wanted to blow it up.

Along the same lines, are we supposed to ban any games involving a hurricane or a flood just because of what happened in New Orleans?

I wouldn't worry about it.

GarageGothic

While I agree that we shouldn't limit ourselves just because of some real life event, I do think that it would be a wise decision to cut that scene from PQ2. It didn't have anything to do with the plot, and actually seemed a bit out of place in the middle of the Bains investigation. Actually it was more dramatic than the final showdown!

Also it doesn't seem very realistic that you would be able to bring a gun aboard a plane just by flashing your badge these days.

I think you'd be better off if you turned the bomb puzzle into a trap set up by Bains (like the shotgun at the motel). Perhaps you arrive at Colby's house too late to save him, and Bains has rigged the entire house to blow.

Kweepa

Quote from: GarageGothic on Mon 12/09/2005 22:42:19
I do think that it would be a wise decision to cut that scene from PQ2.
Actually it was more dramatic than the final showdown!
Well that seals it for me. I say don't cut it.
I'd like to play PQ2, not some watered down remix.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Broomie

Look, the game was made in 1988. Years and YEARS before 9/11. It would be silly to remove that puzzle, plus it was one of my favourite scenes in the game. Not in a sick twisted way but it had alot of tension and plus killing the terrorists was my favourite.

Anyway, I say Yay put that scene in. Just because something serious happened in a similar incident in real life doesn't mean it should be removed. If someone played the original and got upset there is nothing you can do about it, you're just remaking it so leave that scene in it :).
Broomie
Infamous Quests
http://www.infamous-quests.com
Kickstart Ventures
http://www.kickstartadventure.com
-------------------

GarageGothic

Listen, I couldn't give a shit about political correctness BUT the whole point is that the scene might detract from the game. Yes SteveMcCrea, it was more exciting than the final showdown, but that's a flaw of the original game's ending - not a praise of the hijacking scene. You're in the middle of a criminal investigation focusing on your arch nemesis Jessie Bains and his revenge scheme against those who witnessed against him - and as you casually take the plane to another city, you suddenly get involved in a hijacking? What kind of storytelling is this?
Imagine that you were watching Silence of the Lambs, and as Clarice walks down the street on her way to Buffalo Bill's house she passes a bank where five banrobbers are holding the customers and staff hostage, so let's put the entire serial killer story on hold while she takes care of the hostage situation in the bank? Jeez.

You'd be much better off fixing the ending of the original, giving Sonny more stuff to do in Steelton before going down the sewers (what's with arresting the punk in the park?). And the sewers themselves could be so much more exciting. Multiple encounters with Bains, traps, and for the love of god, a more interesting final puzzle than standing on the right spot. (Did we even get an explanation of why he was down there in the first place? Surely there must be better places to hide). The whole point of remaking a game should be to make it better - otherwise what would be the reason?

The fact that some people might be uncomfortable with the hijacking scene - not to mention fail to see the logic of being able to bring weapons and bombs aboard the plane - is just ANOTHER reason for avoiding this sequence. To me it felt like just a preview of Codename: Iceman, and I find Jim Walls' stereotypical representation of Arabs as terrorists to be even more disturbing than the actual hijacking itself. Add to it that killing the terrorists was a possible dead end if you hadn't adjusted your sights before leaving Lytton.

Kweepa

GG, I agree with you. I haven't played the original, so I don't really have a leg to stand on.
However, throwing away some people's favourite scene entirely seems like a waste.
Perhaps the hijacking scene could be moved to the start of the game (like in that Dirty Harry film - I forget which), or added as a deleted scene?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Blackthorne

Look, the scene is in the game.  The game was completed in 1988 - I don't think it detracts from the game at all.  Police Quests were more about ACTUAL police work, not some dramatized version of it - and real police work is not linear with a complete three act structure.  You can't say "Screw one event, I'm huntin' wabbits!" Criminals choose to do their crimes WHENEVER, and Police Officers have to respond in kind.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

DCillusion

It looks like most people prefer the bomb puzzle; so I'm keeping it in.  Although I agree with Garage Gothic, (as it is ridiculous & completely detracts from the actual game at hand), & I believe he could've almost single-handedly convinced people to remove it.

It also appears as if I've misjudged people in believing the terrorist actions of present-day would have an impact on how they feel regarding the events in the game.

However, this is a nostalgia piece, & although my own idea is to capture the feeling I had playing Police Quest 3; most others would like to re-capture the feelings they had playing the original Police Quest 2.  It seems that without it; these feelings would be lost.

I'd be lying if I said I was only making this game for me.  It's impossible not to follow the majority of suggestions.

Flop

Well, I for one am glad that you're keeping it in. Although I do agree with GG that it's ridiculous when you think about it, it's still part of the original. Besides, as someone mentioned, the game takes place in the 80's and back then people actually managed to smuggle guns onto airplanes.

Also, the fact that Sonny just happens to be at the right place at the right time, is no more ridiculous than John McClane in the Die Hard movies. Oh wait, that's actually very ridiculous. :D

bspeers

Apparently, according to Nelson Mandela's (auto?)biography, when he was in the early stages of freedom fighting, he used to smuggle whole magazines of ammunition and guns under his clothing on planes flying in and out of Africa.

It was certainly doable.
I also really liked my old signature.

Klytos

I'm glad you're keeping it. Personally it was one of my favorite parts of the game, even though I completely agree that it had nothing to do with the plot and was out of place.

Sonny Bonds

I also happen to think the hijacking scene should stay. The sewer scenes however, are something I'd miss like a hole in the head. Surely you could change the setting for the final showdown. (like Bains in a barricaded house or something)

Just throwin suggestions out here, Maybe im the only one who disliked the sewer scenes. ;)

GarageGothic

Quote from: Sonny Bonds on Thu 15/09/2005 02:30:34
I also happen to think the hijacking scene should stay. The sewer scenes however, are something I'd miss like a hole in the head. Surely you could change the setting for the final showdown. (like Bains in a barricaded house or something)

Or accept the fact that the airplane scene was the dramatic high point of the game and let Bains be the hijacker! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk