Release Something (NOW)! - October 30, 2005

Started by Kinoko, Tue 27/09/2005 01:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

It's time for another Release Something! I think. The last one was a success so hopefully we can make this one even better! For everyone looking for some motivation to get their game completed or even write a few more words of dialogue, consider this your chance.

ABOUT RELEASE SOMETHING:
This isn't a competition as such, just a big free-for-all where we can all showcase our talents. Basically, a date is set for "Release Something!" Day and on that day, people are invited to post to this thread anything they like, really. For example, some sprites,Ã,  screenshots of your game, music, sound effects, backgrounds, rooms, a plugin, a storyboard, a demo, or if you can manage it, a full game. Heck, even if it's 95% done or 1% done, if you wanna release it, you go for it!

WHEN:
I set the date for October 30th, just in time for Halloween, I guess (even though I don't celebrate it). This gives us just over a month to work on things which I think is plenty of time without being too far away.

Remember, anything you want, as little or as much of it as you want! Get working, people!

Note: This thread will be locked until October 30th. Then you can go nuts.

MrColossal

Well, I suppose it's October 30th! Or at least close enough!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Barbarian

"Happy Halloween.. bwuhahaha!"Ã,   :o

** Update: My short adventure game, "Dark of Night", is now up and ready to take a beating form you fine adventurersÃ,  ;D

My Completed Game thread, with more info and such can be found at the following link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23302.0

Here's a screenie:

Enjoy!
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Sinitrena

Ok, time for me to release something. I'm currently working on an RPG Template which is half finished by now. Therefore I won't release it as a template yet but rather as some kind of game.
So far you can create characters and use magic. It took the last week, 3-4 hours every day, to finish this version and unfortunatly I wasn't able to make an english version yet. So it's just german at the moment, sorry.

Here are some screenshots:

And here is the download.

PsychicHeart

Happy Halloween everyone!
My contribution to the Release Something 2 thread is this: Some news, a storyline and some screenies of rooms and characters of my game, Stewie Quest.

THE GAME
Enter the world of Family Guy, where the Griffins ( Peter, Lois, Brian, Meg, Chris and Stewie ) are a dysfunctional family living in Quahog, Rhode Island.
All is well until, one night, while Stewie, an intellectual baby who is pessimistic in anything and everything, is sleeping, his teddy bear, Rupert, is stolen. Stewie must find and take back Rupert, or he'll lose his best, perhaps only, friend in the world.
The game is basically a replica of topdown games where the player and NPC's are more or less just little circles with green or blue or red inside them.

UPDATE LOG
6th of September, 2005: Began work, made some sprites and stuff.

14th of September, 2005: AGS accidentally wiped off PC.

15th of September, 2005: Download AGS again.

20th of September, 2005: Made a few more sprites.

25th of September, 2005: Started working on the guide, an AGS-operated
helpbook, used rather than a Readme, and involves characters,
hints for levels, basic controls etc.

11th of October, 2005: Started making trailer + made other "ads", involving a Forum Signature and an MSN Display Pic. These items will be part of the final download package.

19th of October, 2005: Finished trailer, put together initial cutscene.

22nd of October, 2005: Gained some team members. 2 more artists, 1 more programmer and 3 people to supply everything they know about Family Guy.

SCREENSHOTS
Here are some screenshots of Stewie Quest.

The game's main menu. I'm not good at main menus, so another artist did it, but i don't like how Stewie looks, i might change that.

This is when Stewie suspects Happy-Go-Lucky Toys stole Rupert as a new toy model.
We're not gonna' say wether or not he was right.

Stewie. The original and the best.

Stewie on the right side. The walking animation DOES actually involve visual feet moving, but i'm not sure how to string together an animation on the forums.

Stewie's 17 year old sister, Meg.

Meg on the side.

A civilian. This is the civilian before Stewie vaporises him.

Well, that's it, sorry it was such a long threadÃ,  := := :=
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Krysis

A sprite I wanted to show off with.Ã,  :)

PsychicHeart

that's a wicked screenie Krysis!
This is for... what kind of game?
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Krysis

It was supposed to be part of a cut-scene where the main characters drive on a road chased by the police :)

But they'll be driving a Pickup truck so this one became obsolete.Ã,  ::)
I used a real car and "traced" it.

Pet Terry

I was supposed to have this one project scripted by the end of the month so I could send it to dialog writers and stuff, but real life (tm) didn't really like that idea. Long story short, I had very little inspiration to work on this. And when I actually was eager to work on it again a couple of days ago, something silly happened that prevented me from working on it! Blargh!

So for now, here are a couple of screenshots.

Enjoy.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Grundislav

Since BJ5 has been delayed, here's a little something to hold you over.

Percival Quentin Jones's new look.

Privateer Puddin'

The game is still work and progress and this is a short teaser. There will probably be several bugs still and a lack of interactions ;). Contains Swearing.
Click here to download.
[/url]

Vince Twelve

These look really good so far!

I have two contributions to this Release Something!

First is the demo for Domestic Conspiracy, which I announced at the last Release Something.

Download the demo here: domcon.rar -- 3MB

The demo shows off the stylish graphics, the unique inventory system, the very cool menus, and a number of challenging puzzles!  But, it's been stripped of story to prevent spoiling the plot.  So, enjoy!

This project is still being worked on, albeit very slowly.  I'm not a big art guy so it takes me a long time.  Plus, the code for this game is so dirty and difficult to add to and debug because it was my "learn to use AGS" game.  Every once and a while I get a burst of energy and finish a new background (there's a lot not seen in this demo).  I don't know when I will finish this game.

If you have comments on this demo, please leave them in the Domestic Conspiracy thread.  If you need hints for the challenging puzzles, PM me or post in the H&Ts board.

Download the demo here: domcon.rar -- 3MB

The second contribution is the alpha version the project that gets all my free time, Dwight of the Living Dead.

DotLD is possibly the first TBABCRPG (Turn-Based Adventure Board Card Role-Playing Game).  I won't go into the plot at all, but basically you play as Dwight and you fight a bunch of Zombies.  Do you really need more?

Download the alpha here: dwight.rar -- less than 1MB

Note: all the graphics present in this alpha should be considered place holders.  I'm currently focused on getting the game engine in place.

DotLD is played out on a randomized board, so each play through will be different than the last.  Dwight uses his deck of Attack, Defend, Item, etc. cards to navigate around the board and do battle with the zombies.

It's been a fun challenge to code so far.  The whole game as you see it here is made using one room, zero objects, a few characters, and two GUIs.  Everything else is done with RawDraw functions!

I had hoped to include the battle system with this alpha, but I didn't get far enough with it to be able to release it, so here, you'll only be trying out the movement system.  Coming into contact with a zombie will kill it instantly rather than launch a battle.

I've given the player a few rooms (each room has it's own randomized board layout) to mess around in.  The rooms are populated with zombies of various levels.  A higher level zombie has a larger movement radius and is more likely to be smart (i.e. go straight for Dwight rather than stumble around randomly).

Errr... and it's really a lot more fun than that screen shot makes it look...

I'd love it some people could toy around with it for a while and report any bugs to me!  Thanks!

Download the alpha here: dwight.rar -- less than 1MB

Bernie

Nice stuff so far! I wasn't able to try the demos yet, but I shall do so soon!

Here is my contribution - a demo of a small game I'm working on:

CLICKSEY HERE WITH MOUSE
~2 MB

This is a fantasy game with a more serious theme. There are 7 playable rooms so far, the work of 4 days. It still lacks a lot of descriptions and hotspots since I'm only adding what's necessary for now.

The recommended age to play this is 16+ because there's lots of blood and a pixelled, nekkid man. If the deity you've choosen to worship will smite you with thunderbolts if you see a nekkid pixel man or if you're simply too prudish, don't play! :=

Sreenshot:

Vince Twelve

Dang Bernie, that's some nice art.  The game looks and sounds amazing!  Really nice work there!

And Puddin', Drugbust looks awesome.  Great art.  I love the little touches like the inventory folding out like the pictures in a wallet.  And the fact that each screen is populated and active makes the gameworld feel really alive.  Nice stuff! 

Sinitrena, can't wait for an English version so I know what the hell I'm doing!  Looks like a good start though!

Can't wait to try yours out Barbarian!  Looks very atmospheric.  I'm assuming that the light is coming from the lantern and will move around the screen with the player.  If so, wow! If no... still neat. 

I'm off to bed, but I look forward to waking up to more Released Somethings!

Theme

lots of nice games here  :o

this is the game I'm working on...
it shows the MI3 gui style ive made
nothing much
AGS games runs really slow on my computer  :(

(3.8 Mb)
http://fileupyours.com/file.php?action=download&userid=2566&file=Dude_RS2.zip
http://files.filefront.com/Dude_RS2zip/;4300409;;/fileinfo.html

notes: 'I' opens Inventory
rightclick mouse button : open verbcoin

o/

Redwall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/jsRedwall/sd_prev.png

Two characters from a game I'm working on. Not much, I know.
(They are also in the Critics' Lounge.)
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Darth Mandarb

Team Hasslehoff was planning on releasing a Tech Demo for Release Something ... but due to Hurricane Wilma we're a little behind.  We're planning on releasing it sometime this (or next) week.

However ... just to take part, here is a new screenshot:

MrColossal

Finally, I believe I have squashed every known bug and added a song generously donated by Mr. Adam "Darkstalkey" Hay

Enjoy! and if you find any bugs, please post them in the Completed Games thread I'll be making in a few moments!

http://kafkaskoffee.com/images/games/AutomationV1.1.rarÃ,  Ã, 5 megs with music

http://kafkaskoffee.com/images/games/AutomationV1.1-nosound.rarÃ,  1 meg without music

If anyone likes doing sound effects and would like to make some for the last part of the game, contact me! Or better yet, wait for the Completed Games thread.

Eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Renegade Implementor

Here's a non-interactive promotional trailer for the RoN series and an accompanying screenshot.

You can download the trailer from here:
http://ron.the-underdogs.org/downloads/demos/5thpromo.zip

Gord10

Lost In The Nightmare
Official Release Date: 4th of November, 2005

Edit: Hosted the pictures to ImageShack now.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk