Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh R

Awesome. Good to hear this is still going to happen. I will definitely be looking forward to it.

Swat_Pup

Hey really nice job on PQ2 remake.I have 2 questions for you first what paint program are you using to make those backrounds because i am also doing a 2d pq game in the future. and second are you going to incorporate the scuba diving sequence from the park in pq2 into your game, thanks!

ildu

Are you still gonna be using that sprite as your character? I just think that it doesn't fit at all. You've got 3d backgrounds, so why not make a 3d character and render the sprites. The model wouldn't need to be that good, and you'd save so much time animating.

Afflict

Quote from: DCillusion on Mon 08/08/2005 08:42:36
They're are, fully, 3D images rendered at ultra-high resolutions, (about 1600x1200).Ã,  Then put through 1 cell renderer & 1 sketch renderer.Ã,  The 2 pictures are combined & turned into a painted canvas using Paint Shop Pro.Ã,  The whole scene is then shrunk down to game resolution, & colours are reduced to give the entire picture a look.Ã, 

The process from design to render to filter takes about 5-6 hours, but I know plenty of people who spend much longer just drawing their artwork.Ã,  I love the old games, & nostalgia hits me pretty deep.Ã,  3D-art is where my skills lie, however, so I'm using filters to get as close to the old art as possible.

As far as "Over-the-Shoulder" , this is a remake.Ã,  I really can't, nor will I, break from the traditional Sierra mold this game was created with.Ã,  I want people to feel the way I did when I first ripped open Police Quest 3, & I don't think they will if I don't stay true to the style.

Two Things...
Read this Swat_pup its PSP

Ok next SWEET! Dude looks awesome I know if you put that much time into the graphics youl make the story really awesome, dont wander too far of the original! It was near perfect. What about the shoot out scenes

DCillusion

Swat_pup - Unless you like 3D, you're going to have to find your own style.  I can't really help with 2D from a tutorial perspective, but thanks for the 'props.  Of course I have the scuba scene.  It's one of the most important scenes in the game.

ildu -  I should take that as a compliment.  That is a 3D-rendered character.  Using 3D characters allows for very fast sprite turn-around, (since I'm the only one working on the game).  Don't worry, when the characters are in place, they will fit fine.

Afflict - I'm, actuallly, making more of a 1:1 remake than I was when I started, (a lot of comments here settled that).  I'm not removing anything anymore, but I am expanding a few scenes & adding one, (so far).  I'm hard at work on Day-2, but there's always room for improvements.  To, specifically, answer your question, all of the shoot-outs remain & are in place.

imspeshul

Quote from: DCillusion on Wed 10/08/2005 04:20:20
It's interesting.........we think alikeÃ,  in many directions.Ã,  I've made a living space for sonny; I think it leads up to the house scenes in PQ3.

Sonny definitely needs more firepower.Ã,  At the very least, a bigger pistol & some body armour.Ã,  He's working with the Steelton Police; I don't know why they didn't suit him up past a radio.

The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.Ã,  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

Screw the controversy. I dont think 20/20 is going to hurt your sales. The hijacking kicked ass and youre going to edit it because of 9/11. Im sorry, but if you do that, thats the same as letting those terrorists win. Besides, it would be incredibly fun to pop a cap in two turbans in the game in glorious 16-bit. PLZ let that ride, it wouldnt be PQ2 without that scene. Besides, fans are going to be pissed as I will be if you mess around with the structure of the game.

But under the rare occasion that people actually DO care. That will be good, youll get more notoriety which will increase awareness of the remake, therefore getting more people to download. You gotta be more liberal in this day if youre ever going to succeed. Trust me, KEEP THE HIJACKING

DCillusion

Page 6 is starting is starting to look like Pages 2-4.

....Thanks for your concern, but I'm keeping the Hijacking scene.  This topic was covered a few months back.  I took a poll to see if it should stay or not; for awhile it was a concern.

imspeshul

Do you have a website up where I can track the progress?
PQ2 is the most underrated in the series and I sincerely hope you do not abandon this project.

DCillusion

The website will go public very soon.  Don't worry, I'd be pretty stupid to abandon a project of this magnitude 75% through it.  I don't think anyone should tackle a Sierra remake if there's any question whether or not they'll finish it.

Thanks for all your support!!

lerouxh

Hi..Ã,  I've been doing the "PQ2 remake" search in Google regularly for two years now, and finaly found this link!
PQ2 is my favourite of the series... keep up the good work man!!!
:)

scourge

looking good, keep up the excellent and inspirational work :)

spigian

DCillusion I am really glad about the progress of the game, even though you had that bad luck.75% is ready or I misunderstood something?Do you think you can still make it by Christmas?

Mugs

I've never played the original Police Quest before. Anyways, I can't wait to play your "PQ2 remake", the pics looks extremely good.Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Keep it up!Ã,  ;)
Cool stuff I found out: Men are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.  Wow, really? [dirty joke] Maybe this has to do with the fact that us men have "lightning rods"? [/dirty joke]

DCillusion

No, I don't see any way to make it by Christmas.

That is still my number 1 priority, but things aren't moving fast enough....sorry

spigian

DCillusion we are gratefull to you for doing this,do not apologize to us!We are lucky that  you do this!Thank you for all and I am looking forward for your news!!!

Swat_Pup

yeah major props to you dcillusion i am a huge fan of the series and give major kudos to you for undertaking this project. believe me when you finish the game we here in the forums will make sure it gets the respect it deserves, and the respect you deserve

DCillusion

Given the recent questions involving the game, I've updated the post to answer some of the inquiries that have come of late.

P.S......& a New Screenshot!!

There's been request as to the status of the game; so I've added a status report.  I didn't do anything revolutionary, but if someone wants to know how far along I am; this will keep them updated.

spigian

Nice screenshot DCillusion!!!This is going to be very good!Thank you for keeping us informed.Can I ask you something?Have you designed any character?I would really like to see a screenshot with a character inside on your next update!Keep up the excellent work!Q2 is near!!!

Shalkar

Man its been since November 23 of 2005 and still no replies/updates for this game. DCillusion: Are you sure you are still working on this project and the earliest release date is Quarter 2 of 2006?! I hope so. This is one of my favs.

Later man.

Darth Mandarb

** Sigh **

Why not send a PM to him (as the Forum Rules suggest) rather than bumping the thread?

DC - how about an update?  Now that this thread has been dug-up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk