Abandoned ideas ?

Started by .., Sat 15/03/2008 18:25:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, I'm back after about a two year abscence or something like that.
I don't know if anybody really remembers me but I used to linger around here a lot, I was 15 then, so I was probably the annoying one who nobody really listened to. ( I think I suggested the 'Popular Threads' forum back then )

Anyway, I'd like to get back into the Adventure Gaming swing of things, I'm studying graphic design now so I think I'm a bit more 'Qualified' to really have a good crack at it.

The thing I struggle with really is ideas and story though... so it got me thinking that of all the attempted and failed game ideas out there, there must have been some at least good story ideas. Or maybe some ideas that people just weren't commited enough to be able to follow through.

There may be a thread about this somewhere else (Remember.. I've been away a LONG time :P) but would it be good to have some kind of collection of ideas, so that the imaginatively-challenged individual like myself can delve in and maybe develop them into something a bit more worthwhile.

Akatosh

Well, I have a whole dump of abandoned games here. I really, really dig most of them, but they turned out to be a lot less practicable in reality than they seemed in my head. Ah, well... might just share my two favorite ones as well.

1) Cascade Failure. Basically, it's the classic "Evil AI" thing, but with a spin - you play as the computer. So, of course, for the player it will seem as if the crew was slowly spiraling into madness... now, where WAS that termination robot?

2) El Presidente. Another "Evil Genius"-ish idea, another an attempt at a mAGS game, another failure. I still hope to complete this game at some point in the future, though.

Actually, I'm going to put this back intro production very soon. I'll have to redraw most of the sprites, though, because they're pretty crappy right now.

Lionmonkey

I never abandon my ideas. I just leave them somewhere, to wait for better times.

Finishing other's abandoned stuff does seem interesting, anyway.

Darth Mandarb

I am the same way ... I don't abandon, I just put them on hold!

I have 3 or 4 game ideas (really good ones) that I would love to work on someday.  Just gotta finish the one I am working on!

blueskirt

Quote from: Akatosh on Sat 15/03/2008 18:54:36
1) Cascade Failure. Basically, it's the classic "Evil AI" thing, but with a spin - you play as the computer. So, of course, for the player it will seem as if the crew was slowly spiraling into madness... now, where WAS that termination robot?

I like this idea of playing an omnipresent, omniscient HAL kind of AI. Controling other machines and having to prevent humans from unplugging you has a lot of potential in term of story, dialogue, puzzle originality and gameplay.

Dualnames

I've abandoned MI: Day of The Dead. For now that is. The whole reason I started AGS was to make a good MI game. I made a MI game, a good game and I'm missing a good mi game.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Vince Twelve

I've started writing out in-depth "pitches" on my blog that lay out the story and gameplay of games that I've set aside.  I've been doing this since I'm working on a long-term project and don't want these other ideas either getting lost, or having them taking up space in my head that would be better reserved for my main project.  The first one is here, and the second one is about 75% written.  It's a bit of spring cleaning for the mind and I would highly recommend it!

Akatosh

Quote from: Blueskirt on Sat 15/03/2008 20:43:40
Quote from: Akatosh on Sat 15/03/2008 18:54:36

I like this idea of playing an omnipresent, omniscient HAL kind of AI. Controling other machines and having to prevent humans from unplugging you has a lot of potential in term of story, dialogue, puzzle originality and gameplay.

Pretty much what I though. Of course, the player would not be completely almighty and omnipresent at the beginning but would instead have to increase the "AI Override Level" bit by bit, by nice talk... or by artificially creating a threat (e. g. having a cleaning robot rip a hole in the ship's hull) so the crew would be forced to give him further control in order not to die.

Ghost

Akatosh

As I said, the classical "crazy AI" thing (HAL, Shodan, Glados (spelling may vary), Master Control System), but you play as him. Or her. Or it. Or whatever.

Zufub

If you don't want to hang-on project read this information, that may be helpfull:

1. Write the story, characters (heros too) on the paper. If you VERY lazy better do not try to make game, it is not for lazy peo(ns)ples.
2. Write it only when you got some good ideas or when you just want to write, never for the deadline. If you will be writing too fast and without thinking about that, what you putting on the paper, your project will join to club of "Non-completed projects".
3. Graphic isn't important.
4. Music is important.
5. Try to make something oryginall.
6. If you don't good in jokes don't make comedy typed game. If you good in horrors good choice will be to make game in horror styles.
7. Try to find people that may help you in your project.

Thats the basic rules, but you don't need to using them. But they are very helpfull ^^ Maybe they will degrease number of non-completed projects ;P
If you like any game makers, writ in your browser those tags:
RPG maker
Game Maker
Adventure Maker
Of course there are many more programmes to making games, but i prefer them + AGS ;) First is to making RPG games, next to ANY games and last is able to make Adventure Games (many is type: Escape the Room).

ZuFub ;

space boy

I'm going to disagree with the following:

Quote from: Zufub on Fri 21/03/2008 17:33:53

Point 3: that's an old dogma that many people regurgitate. Graphics may not be the most important thing in a game but that doesn't mean they are not important at all.
Point 5: original doesn't automatically mean good. Simply make something that is enjoyable(for you) to play, doesn't matter if we have seen it before.

Zufub

but playing same game again but with antoher music and graphic is boring ;P I wrote TRY not YOU MUST ;P It's difference.
If you like any game makers, writ in your browser those tags:
RPG maker
Game Maker
Adventure Maker
Of course there are many more programmes to making games, but i prefer them + AGS ;) First is to making RPG games, next to ANY games and last is able to make Adventure Games (many is type: Escape the Room).

ZuFub ;

Da_Elf

seems like the right title of the post to post in here. i know my asterix game has been abandoned due to lack of time. what ever happened to great games like that lagoon one?

Emerald

Quote from: Scuthbert on Sat 15/03/2008 18:25:34
The thing I struggle with really is ideas and story though...
... It would be good to have some kind of collection of ideas, so that the imaginatively-challenged individual like myself can delve in and maybe develop them into something a bit more worthwhile.

The initial concept is a very minute part of the story-writing process. It is, in fact, the absolute easiest part. You could take the most imaginative, brilliant idea in the world and make it suck, or you could take the stupidest, most ill-conceived idea in the world and make it brilliant.

Afterall, Terminator is about a robot who goes back in time to kill some kid, Hannibal is about a serial killer who eats people, and Harry Potter is about a bunch of teenagers with magic powers.

None of those were particularly amazing or original ideas, but that didn't stop them from being good stories.

Point is, if you're a good writer, you'll think of something and make it work. If you're not, a good 'pitch' won't help you much - you should find someone who can write the details of the story and dialog for you. Stick to your strengths.

A lot of people seem to think writing is a nothing-job (like singing in a band) which can be done on the side while you do the programming (or play the guitar). But in the end what you usually end up with is a sloppy story full of ridiculous dialog (or strained vocals which are hampered by constant distraction)

Uhh... I'm sure I made some good points in there. You just need to ignore the self-righteous preachy parts :P

Stupot

Scuthbert.
Why don't you try designing a remake.

I also have trouble coming up with new ideas... I like to think I can write fairly well but I have the imagination of a yoghurt pot.  Because of this my next project is going to be a remake of sorts.

You may rememer How to be a Complete Bastard on the Amstrad (and ZXspectrum and C64).  My new game is based on that... the gameplay will be nothing like the original, but the general gist will be the same.  The good thing (or bad thing depending on how you look at it) is that it is not story driven; it is more arcadey (which will mean spending more time in the Technical forums from now on...  :P)

This way, I've been spared the hell of having to come up with my own idea... and can concentrate on the game-making side of things.

Afflict

Quote from: space boy on Fri 21/03/2008 18:05:24
I'm going to disagree with the following:

Quote from: Zufub on Fri 21/03/2008 17:33:53

Point 3: that's an old dogma that many people regurgitate. Graphics may not be the most important thing in a game but that doesn't mean they are not important at all.
Point 5: original doesn't automatically mean good. Simply make something that is enjoyable(for you) to play, doesn't matter if we have seen it before.

I second that motion.

Frodo

I have absolutely no programming skills what-so-ever, but I would love to see a game based on Maniac Mansion \ Day Of The Tentacle, but seen through the eyes of the Tentacles.   ;)

My idea is this:  Green Tentacle & Purple Tenacle are creations of Dr Fred.  They are just trying to survive in a hostile land full of humans.  The Tentacles know they are different from everybody else, but can't understand why they are treated with such despise and hatred by the humans.  At first, Dr Fred seems to be their only friend, but gradually, he gets nastier to them, and they become his slaves \ servants \ pets \ whatever.  In Day Of The Tentacle, Purple Tentacle is seen as the evil genious out to destroy the world.  But he is not evil at all.  He just does what he has to, to protect his little brother (Green Tentacle).  He finally realises that Dr Fred is NOT their friend at all, but the cause of all their problems. 

The Tentacles are victims!!!   :=

TerranRich

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anybody remember an old, old, old thread where people posted their puzzle ideas they didn't want?

I ask this because I had a well thought-out jail cell escape puzzle in there that I wish I could look at again to refresh my memory. I even checked the Wayback Machine (www.archive.org), but no luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk