MAGS August(Winner Announced) Topic: Episode 1

Started by Dualnames, Sat 01/08/2009 14:44:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Episode 1

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Gudforby:

Telltale have had a great success with episodic adventures. Now it's your turn to create the first episode for your own new adventure serie!

You are pretty much free in the forming of your first episode. The game might be the first part of a continous story or a serie of separate episodes. You might base your serie around a main character, or an enviroment, introducing new characters and plots in each episode.

The only thing you must do is that in the end of your episode, you have to tease for your next episode, to show your further thought on your "serie". This can be archieved by ending with a cliffhanger or a short "preview" or "trailer". You might even have a better idea yourself? It's all up to you!

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All votes can be cast in the next 72 hours from the edit time stamp (till the 30th)

Winner:

Tijne with his game, the Colourless Sylph!!
Congrats you have the honour to choose the next month's guidelines..

Comments:

I found the idea really really cool, and for the first time its something really new and exciting, wish I could really enter!! Have fun lucky ones you! :D

As for comments, there has been a trouble last month about posting comments during the voting, since according to some it affects the voting. I feel it somehow does, but I also feel it weird to have one's mouth shut until the voting. I really can't decide. Perhaps its better for people to post their games after the MAGS, so people can comment on them. That's the most viable solution here.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

Good luck to all, I'll be playing. That's for sure.

As for the comments: I'm not sure how easy it is to change the voting site. If you can leave comments there (like said before) and make these visible after voting so you'll have the number of votes and the comments it would be a nice addition. At the moment it's just anonymous voting and that's it. There's no feedback or result (other than who won) after the voting has taken place which would give me the feeling of 'why should I vote at all...'. ?

A bit more statistics and motivation would be nice. The comments during voting shouldn't be mandatory though to scare people off.

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Joseph DiPerla

OK, well, I am gonna try and give this one a shot I guess.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Helme

I already have an idea and it's more Telltale-like, than you request in your guidelines. ;D

So, if nothing really strange happens, I'm in.

Eggie

Ha, a cooler theme might have been 'episode 3'. All series hit their stride at episode 3 and this woukld have been a good opportunity to skip doing those pesky episodes 1 and 2.

Joseph DiPerla

NOOOOO!!!! Keep it Episode 1. I already came up with idea's for this. I spent the whole day laying out a plan. Ok, a lot of the day. But still! Leave it alone.

-With Warm Love,
Joey
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Radiant

Nice one. I've had an idea for episodes for a long time now. I'm not sure if I can make such a game this month, though, I've got too much work already.

Tyr

hmmm, I was already planning on releasing a act 1 of the game I'm working on right now before the proper full game....Could do this if I manage to make headway.

Brad Newsom

This is hilarious. I've written two television series scripts, and about a week or so ago, I started planning a video game episodic series.

This might be the perfect time to do it. :D

Everyone needs to understand. An episode isn't just Act 1. An episode should contain at least three acts. Else, it wouldn't be considered an episode.

Tijne

:o  Eep! 

Lots of people this month. xD

Gudforby

Quote from: Tijne on Thu 06/08/2009 22:35:31
Lots of people this month. xD

Yup, looks promising! Keep up the good work everybody! ;D

Dualnames

Tijne:
Yeah, it looks promising, in fact it looks like this:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36455.0

People promised and promised..and I won by default, guess they got scared, yeah, that's it.

Leon:

A bit more statistics like? Votes so far? Last months it was:
Tijne Gud
3 - 4

Klaus once I took over said that it would be better for people not to be able to see the votes.

MrDiPerla: No worries once set, the MAGS can't change ;D Unless I die.

Rest: Make it happen folks, make me a happy man, make games so we can end in a 7 people draw.

Voting

My thoughts on the voting is that it seems not to work perfectly perhaps the idea of a mandatory comment before one casts a vote? But with me being able to see the comment before the voting ends. Sounds cool?

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

If the comments are visible after the vote, yeah, works for me. And the stats don't have to be during voting, but can be after (or maybe a "x votes so far"..).

Jared

Started work on mine - but bear in mind that not only will this be my first MAGS but, if I make the deadline, my first real AGS game ever, nobody should hold their breath. Even though I've made my plan very simple...

Leon

Quote from: Jared on Sat 08/08/2009 06:00:11
Started work on mine - but bear in mind that not only will this be my first MAGS but, if I make the deadline, my first real AGS game ever, nobody should hold their breath. Even though I've made my plan very simple...

That's the best way to start... and it has to be a first for everyone once. Good luck!

Tijne

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 07/08/2009 21:07:30
A bit more statistics like? Votes so far? Last months it was:
Tijne Gud
3 - 4

???  I recieved ~ 20 or so different downloads of my MAGS game within the voting period (All within the first day or two...)
I doubt they would have voted for me, but I expected the votes to add up to at least 15. T_T.  Boo!

Lazy voters!...  I'm obviously not going to get any votes this time. xD

Leon

Quote from: Tijne on Sun 09/08/2009 04:26:57
Lazy voters!...  I'm obviously not going to get any votes this time. xD

It should be more open and visible to the public to see what's done with the votes. That's maybe why adding comments to your vote and show everyone why you've voted for that game makes it more interesting.  Actually it's one of the reasons I gave my comments before the end of the voting period: make people aware of the fact that the game is out there, let them know what the game is about and let them see for themselves.

Oh and... Tijne, there's more chance of getting votes than you might think:

1: If no one else completes in time, you'll have my vote.
2: If you come up with a good story and game, you might get my vote.

But if you don't enter:

You won't get my vote.

Another issue: if you enter the competition and you announce the game in the completed games section and you add it to the database before the end of the competition, make sure people know it's a MAGS game, explain what MAGS is and ask them to vote. Otherwise it's extra publicity for your game but won't earn you extra votes.

If you want to have very strict rules, you shouldn't be allowed to advertise you game anywhere else but the MAGS site until after voting. But that's a bit very harsh I think.

None

I think as long as you link back to the thread, or the site, "STRESS" that people should play ALL the games...
It's a competition, but I don't think anyone's that DESPERATE to win by not giving everyone a fair shake... What good is winning if it's 'handed' to you...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk