Dustbowl - A Post Apocalyptic Adventure

Started by pixelincognito, Wed 17/09/2014 11:10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelincognito

Welcome to the Dustbowl
The world is a desolate place, humanity is in a transition from life to extinction as those that lived through the events cling onto the threads of survival. The world is a dead, dusty landscape filled with ghosts and spectres, of smashed cities and dried oceans. The surface is a symbol of what has been lost.

What is the Dustbowl?
The dustbowl is an 6-mile crater surrounded by earth the size of mountains, legend has circulated around this strange place that a great treasure is in it's centre or an abandoned alien weapon. Many have tried to reach the dustbowl but none have succeeded. It is not just the impassable terrain that makes it impossible to reach but a strange radiation that boils anything it touches.

Features

• A unique turn based combat system - Get ready for fast paced retro combat like you've never seen before. Use special items to change the odds and equip powerful weapons to get the upper-hand. %90 Complete
  • Full inventory management - stackable items and a full .Kg weight system. %100 complete
  • Hunger and Thirst system - Keep your stomach full with food and drink adding depth to your wasteland survival. %100 Complete
  • Armour up! - Armour updates your look in game!
  • Poin'n'Click! - It wouldn't be an AGS experience without the solid point & Click system with dialogue trees and solve puzzles out in the field and also in the underbelly of your home.

• Status Effects - Get sick! Bleed out! Get Poisoned! Suffer fatigue! Combat and the environment are both deadly things: from radioactive dust to brutal combat damage; make sure you have the gear to survive! %30 Complete
  • Rogue Trader - Find items, and buy, sell and search the wastes for fortune and glory! Or die trying %50 Complete
  • Assignments, Sidequests & puzzles - deal with characters that live in the shadows as a mercenary and complete assignments for the Hub as a militia member.
  • Hardcore enough? - Play the game with a permadeath option.

(A panel from the intro sequence)

We appreciate the time you've taken in looking at this thread and we hope to be posting many more in the near future! You can also find us on IndieDB.

Thank you!

arj0n

CaptainD

This looks fantastic!

Also love the way that you've included "Get Sick" as an in-game option to look forward to :grin:

Fitz

Looks great: the huge pixels, the limited color palette... That screenshot from the intro itself had me nodding in approval (nod) I'm not an RPG guy, nor a manical fan of post-apo -- but I like the aesthetic, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

shaun9991

This looks really interesting, has some similar elements to a game we are working on. I like the art and palette, and the RPG influence looks cool. I'll follow this one closely, best of luck with development!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Monsieur OUXX

Looks very interesting indeed. I hope you will take advatnage of the fact that the character sprite is so small to make some larger backgrounds from time to time.

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Lasca

pixelincognito

Thanks for the positive reaction :)

It's all very pre-alpha, lots of missing character animations here and there but its getting better every day.

(unpopulated canteen area)
[/i]

We plan to post weekly updates (if it isn't too annoying :confused:) and expect some regular development videos too. To answer a question the game environment will be displayed in the upper portion of the screen but room shapes will change to mix things up a little.

Cheers guys!
Pixel Incognito.

amateurhour

This looks gorgeous! I can't wait for a demo.
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

selmiak

this looks very cool, I want it now! The colorscheme is very well chosen!

Trapezoid

I love the look of this! The dither pattern in the borders is a little hard on the eyes, though.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SilverSpook

Looks fantastic!  Sign me up for this Apocalypse, now!  I also admire your gumption in attempting to mold AGS into an RPG.  The art is crisp, the idea refreshing; like a well-preserved, newly-opened bottle of Nukacola.

BTW I'm sure the second coming of Wasteland (II) had absolutely nothing to do with the posting date... :)

pixelincognito

Alot has happened in the space of a week, more features are getting added every day and progress has been amazing; the game just keeps getting bigger and better. One of the big visual updates is the player creation screen where you can enter a custom character name and choose from a selection of starting items. We've also been working really hard in getting more of the functions in from finalizing the tiredness system and cleaning up the hunger/thirst systems (which are fully complete :)).

More custom character animations have also been added to the intro scene, more sound effects have been added and the HUB (player base) has been reworked a little, with an elevator that the player can use to access a number of different floors. It really gives the base more verticality and space, feeling larger than it actually is.

Weapons, armour and a helmet slots are now functional, items can now be picked up and slotted into the correct gear slots which feels excellent and instantly gives it that cool RPG feel! For more information please watch the development video that shows off some of the spoken features and the combat system.

To view our latest developer video that shows off some of the spoken features and combat head over to our IndieDB page, and if you want to give us an extra pat on the back why not follow the game there too :)

Thanks again for the support and we appreciate the time you take in reading the post.
PI

pixelincognito

Hi Folks!

Big things happening deep in the dustbowl, we've been really working hard in turning AGS into quite the powerful RPG system and it really hasn't been hard. Environments are coming on nicely and your underground home is now flooded with NPCs. We're starting to design some of the mission environments, specifically the subway as this is the first area you must explore from leaving your home.

The player can now wear armour which changes the look of your character - all armour will update the player's sprite, this will be alot of work but the effect is worth it and every player likes seeing new armour on their characters.

We have a really nice quest system now that lists tasks you must complete and of course rewards for doing it all! So expect lots of side quests that will have you wandering the wasteland.

Day and Night cycles now work and we have a nifty timetrack that displays where you are in the day or night, this just means we can have more dynamic elements to the world like shops that only open at night (Black market) or NPCs that the player may need to speak to that only appear at night.

Combat has also had some work, if the player has no weapon equipped then they'll go fisticuffs and have to punch their way out of danger. You can also try and escape combat, the run feature now works but the more dangerous the creature the harder it is to escape and trying to run will use your vital turn.

Enemies in combat also now have idle animations so they bob about as they wait to get punched in the face.

The Loot system is now complete too, every enemy type in the game has it's very own loot table and upto 3 items can drop after combat, these can be quite common trash objects you can sell to extremely rare artefacts.

We have a nifty "The Sims" style Status effect bar where icons will display how the player is feeling, from: Hungry, thirsty, tired, bleeding and poisoned.

I'm sure I've missed out more things but I should shut up and just post the darn screenshots, as you can see we're keeping that C64 colour range, just love that retro look and I cant wait to show you some of the subway areas and they'll be quite unique looking in comparison to the rooms of the Hub. So enjoy.

(The Waypoint bar in the HUB)

(The hydroponics bay of the hub - a boy's gotta eat.)

(Feral mutant placeholder - one of the new enemies in the game)

Why don't you also see our second Dev blog video which really is just all the above but moving...in a video :-\

We appreciate you taking the time to look at this thread, and we hope to have more to show you asap.
Cheers guys and gals.
PI

selmiak

this getting better an better with every update! Keep it up!

Armageddon

Please stop saving the images as jpegs. I want to see the pixels and the colors. :-D

Kasander

I like your idea of a combat system, that hit/miss bar reminds me of penalty/free kick shooting in some football games, but I don't remember I've seen that being used in RPG. That seems refreshing :) I love oldschool proper RPGs and being sentimental towards all things post-apocalyptic I'll make sure to play DB demo. Seems quite a challenge by the way, to make a RPG with AGS. I can only imagine it needs some serious counting and coding skills. A rocket science to me :)

Atavismus

Quote from: Kasander on Thu 09/10/2014 20:30:38
Seems quite a challenge by the way, to make a RPG with AGS. I can only imagine it needs some serious counting and coding skills. A rocket science to me :)
Thx for your words Kasander.
It's not that a big challenge imo.
Although, some AGSers already made what we are doing.
It's a fact, AGS is made for point'n'click, but we can code almost every kind of games.
Ofc there are some limitations and you sometimes need to find some workarounds, but AGS is far more powerful than some ppl think (even in the AGS community).
Moreover, with the dedicated dev team constantly improving it, I have no doubt AGS will become what we could call "a modern engine". :)

ThreeOhFour

This looks very cool! Good luck with it.

declerfayt

I'm really looking forward to play DustBowl. Good work guys! :)
Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Play free beta // Video trailer // Website

KodiakBehr

This really looks like it's going to pass the fun-test with flying colours.  It's pretty.  The premise is interesting.  The mechanics (appear) to draw from the best features of AGS.  Post-apocalyptic games are in right now.  There's a lot of great potential here -- looking forward to it!

Atavismus

Thx guyz! :)

Btw, we made our first poll on indiedb forum:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure/forum/thread/permadeath-option-poll
It's about permadeath.
You don't need to have an account to vote.
If you have one, feel free to comment (here or there) ;)

Thx for your opinion!

Cassiebsg

If you don't mind asking... what's permadeath??? Do you mean to permanently kill the player?  Permanently kill the player's computer? Something else related with death?

I'd like to know what I'm voting on. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Haggis

QuoteIf you don't mind asking... what's permadeath

I was wondering the same, does it mean when the player dies there is no way to continue other than to load the last saved game? (e.g. Fallout 3)

Game looks fantastic by the way.

Atavismus

Sorry guyz, I should have explain it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_death
When you die, you can't come back, we delete your save slot.
Yes I know, it's harsh but realistic. :D
Mind, it would be a settable option.
Also, we try to randomize everything as much as we can. ;)

Thx for your time and cya! :)

Cassiebsg

Voted, and I'm with 7%... so I guess your decision will not be "permadeath or not" but "optional or not". ;)

Good luck with the game. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

mkennedy

Are there any benefits to choosing the permadeath option? One of the online games I play has a permadeath server, but the XP and skill gain are both at 10 times the rate for the nonPD server (hence why I play it).

Atavismus

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 17/10/2014 04:32:09
Are there any benefits to choosing the permadeath option? One of the online games I play has a permadeath server, but the XP and skill gain are both at 10 times the rate for the nonPD server (hence why I play it).
Well, we didn't thought about it, but it's an idea.
Still, I guess permadeath is more something between you and yourself.
Also, it's a different way to play: more careful, more vigilant, more pondering.
You have to think about your choices, like in real life.
imo, it adds more tension, more challenge, more realism.

KodiakBehr

I'm on Team Permadeath.  It's what made the new X-Com, or FTL so joyously nerve-wracking.  My next game will surely feature it.

Atavismus

To all survivors!

You can now follow us on twitter :
https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

I'll soon begin to tell the story of our hero with the hashtag #dustbowlstory

Thx for your support and cya!

ChestPecRespect

This looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of Fallout and A Boy and His Dog.
So looking forward to this.

Raez

Not to sound like a broken record, but this looks pretty stellar! It's like Fallout meets Organ Trail or the video game equivalent of the Trace Italian from Wolf in White Van. I look forward to following your progress.

Also, although I personally am a big fan of permadeath, games that (successfully) revolve around it tend to have it embedded as a core mechanic from the ground up. So it's probably either/or from my point of view. Maybe it's not the place for you to focus your efforts. Maybe you can patch it in later as a goodie. Either way, good luck! (nod)

pixelincognito

I'm quite overwhelmed with your comments and support, your a great community.

We're working really hard in getting the game done, I've been adding sounds here and there but spending most of my time making new art for the future locations and the surface map which the player will traverse to reach various locations. I've been working on more environment art and getting the world map revamped, I've heard alot of people talking about Fallout which is a game thats dear to me and the original idea of the world map would resemble how the fallout map would work but this has dramatically changed.

The map is now much larger and open, you now have direct control of the player and can roam the world and enter various buildings and special locations - alot of the smaller areas you can enter like farm houses, barns roadside motels etc, are randomly generated and have their objects and loot randomly placed. I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now. There will still be random 'Fallout' style encounters as you travel and hidden radioactive areas, a geiger counter SFX will warn the player about such areas but this is something we need to work out :smiley:

I've also been working on new environment art (so much to do); the subway is the first main environment that the player will be tasked in exploring and I'm very happy with how that's going, there were one or two concerns with the room art (always being square rooms like Spy Vs Spy) but there is real scope for mixing things up and keeping the world fresh for the player.

It's getting there and we hope to get a rough alpha demo for the end of next month - but of course, it wont really reflect the final thing. :)  Raez, If I can achieve the mood of Organ Trail I'd be a happy person.

Thanks everyone!
PI.

cacaro

Can't remember whether I already said it, but this looks really fantastic. Can't wait to play it.

Quote from: pixelincognito on Thu 23/10/2014 10:18:02
I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now.

It looks very similar, indeed. And I love it.

Matti

This looks very nice. I dig the art style and the concept seems cool. Keep it up!

Quote from: cacaro on Thu 23/10/2014 11:44:30
Quote from: pixelincognito on Thu 23/10/2014 10:18:02
I guess for those that can remember 'It Came From The Desert' the map is very much like that now.

It looks very similar, indeed. And I love it.

+1  :)

Surdy

Looks pretty cool!

I suppose you know the Fallout serie?

Keep up the good work Pixelincognito!

.M.M.

That looks great! I'm working on a post-apocalyptic RPG myself, can't wait to try this one out! :-)

pixelincognito

With everything falling into place we're now working on random generation and encounters that can be found in the game, either entering smaller areas on the map or while travelling around on the map (Fallout style). There will be a lot of different encounters that you'll come across in the game, some positive while others will be negative. Others will just make the world seem eerie and interesting and tell little hidden stories. Of Course! There will also be plenty of easter eggs that can be found while wandering the dustbowl wastes .

Expect further details at the weekend, as we plan on producing a new developer video and I'll be demonstrating the map and these systems. Hope everyone is doing well and being very productive!

Thanks guys
PI.

Gurok

Wow, such a lovely thing to say. I hope you have a productive week too, pixelincognito.

I'm definitely getting a post-apoc, Wasteland/Fallout vibe from this latest screenshot. Looks great!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Atavismus

Thx a lot Gurok and all others! :)

Some news from the bunker!

* I started to tell the hero's story on our twitter account with #dustbowlstory.

* We made our "studio" page on indiedb: Cloak & Dagger Games (oops! We'll change that asap because of the killer http://cadgames.weebly.com/).

* We add a new poll about enemies (you can vote without any account).

Thx for your support, comments and sharings! (The stalker is watching you! :D)

ChestPecRespect

Oh man that reminds me of the first time you step in the Ghost Farm in Fallout 2.
That looks amazing. Can't wait! :cheesy:

pixelincognito

Hey Everyone!

It's been a very long time since I've posted but that's because I've been so busy working on the game that these things get a little neglected; but we have real progress and lots of news.

We've been working incredibly in packaging up what we have into a nice polished demo for everyone to play, I'd say for a new player going into it with no idea of where to go and one who plans to try and do everything...I estimate there might be about 2 hours of gameplay in the demo? It would be interesting to know how long it takes you guys to play it. If we can (and things are going very well) we'll try and get the demo out tonight but at the very latest, tomorrow! The demo includes the HUB, the Cave System and the Subway and the Surface Map along with all the side quests that go with each area.

Currently the last real jobs on my list is adding in rooms for none-important areas on the map (farm houses, huts, etc to flesh the world out) and more loot, but it's looking rather good.
There have been some big visual updates too, the map looks different now with pockets of radiation - you hear your geiger counter...head the other way! (currently it wont hurt you haha, but please pretend!).

We also have a website: Dustbowl Website which at the moment is a little bare but it's a work in progress. We've also added ourselves to Steam Greenlight which has a small features trailer Dustbowl Greenlight, so we'd appreciate some support there, and by all means, vote Yes or No, it's all good :)

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/fHhgYzl8a5g[/embed]

Again, thanks for your support and I'll be posting details on where you can download the demo :)

Cheers guys, hope you all have a splendid day.
PI

portableTaco

This game looks absolutely fantastic.  I'm on-board! Also, on the permadeath discussion, I like the idea of having both, with rewards that are different for each style of play.  That way, if the player wants a certain reward or to see a certain event, they have to play the permadeath game....and vice versa, they get a bonus or reward for playing the other version.  Of course to you the programmer it's kinda extra work to do both, haha. But that's just my two cents.

pixelincognito

That's a great idea portableTaco :) We'll look into that for sure.

Well here it is...the demo in all it's lovely brokeness haha. If you head over to the site: Dustbowl website and look down for the big , fat download button you can get the demo! I hope people wont be too disappointed, once you get out the HUB (start area) the world should really open up and it's an area that will be expanded upon - it's a taster :)

Hope you all enjoy our little game so far!
PI

abstauber

Hey, thanks for sharing the demo at this early stage.
I really got heavy 80s vibes by playing this - I love the aesthetics and the overall design. Too bad that I couldn't find any health improving things in the hub, so I'm stuck at 3 hp and somewhat doomed - and I have to admit that this is not really motivating me to start all over again. But that's 80s game design frustration, which made me smile anyway ;)

What I think you need to work on is the battle system: this game would work so much better with a timed RPG battle system. Currently it's just a simple reaction game, which is getting tedious quite fast (although the technical execution in AGS feels nice and solid).
Also I'm missing a health bar for the enemies and an option to at least try to run from fights.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

pixelincognito

Yeah health is something that needs to be dropped in a few places I think haha, you can wait until you're tired and sleep that will recover health (from my understanding, it's not a lot and this will be greatly increased.

The combat is still really a basic element, we plan on adding combat items that can be used, like grenades and flashbangs for skipping enemy turns and damage dealers. The idea was to give it a kind of Final Fantasy/turn based thing to it but we understand there's more work to be done in that area. We did have a run button with a chance of escape but I removed it for the demo. Not displaying enemy health bars was a design choice, we could eventually add something that tells the player when an enemy is below 50% health (a bit like Dungeons & Dragons with their 'bloodies')

We really appreciate you playing though it means a lot, there's so much more work to do but I hope it gives you a good idea of it's direction, even if it's a taster.
-------------------
Update!
There is a new demo zip, you can loot the med box in the armory and also sleeping now recovers 50hp.

Cheers!
PI

Atavismus

Well, the game is meant to be hard, but ofc, I guess it needs some balance.
Moreover, we plan to implement a market, so you can buy what you need and sell stuffs to get money.
Tip: you can train as much as you want (using your fists) in the range room. ;)

abstauber

Quote from: Atavismus on Tue 02/12/2014 11:14:08
Tip: you can train as much as you want (using your fists) in the range room. ;)
So I still can do things, yay :P
Btw. I don't have trouble with the fight system, it's just not very entertaining. An example: I fight a puny beetle and it easily deflects my heart shot. After that it butchers me down to 12 HP, while I need 3 more critical hits to take it down. The only way to influence the fight is a reaction test like in the 80s and early 90s golfing games, just even more simplified.

I hope you don't get me wrong, this is really a cool demo. Please keep up the good work!

pixelincognito

oh no! really I understand haha :) You're right in that the combat is lacking just that little extra, the hit location was supposed to be that thing. The we don't explain it at all though....our fault.

Damage that is in white text is armour damage - your not actually hurting the creature and you can't one-shot an armoured area  - think of armour like Halo's over shield, you get rid of that before damaging the beast. So when you see that you have to select a different part of the body to target (and hopefully one-shot).

Red damage is...well damage and you'll notice if they crit you or you crit them.

I think the real fun to be had is on the surface, at the moment that's sorely lacking but we knw what to do. I have the most fun in the game going in and out of the houses and looting them (of course we'll also throw in some random elements into the houses to keep it fresh for the next time you go in). We need more enemies too, bigger more scary things that take up of the size of the room, so when you collect things like HE grenades then you'll want to save them for the big beasties.

No... we really appreciate you playing the demo, it means a great deal to us - so many sleepless nights! haha

Cheers!
PI

abstauber

hehe - thanks! Then I'll try the updated demo and explore the outside a bit more.

pixelincognito

There's about 5 (none story houses to enter (one house has one of my favourite NPCs in the game haha) and then there's the Subway and HUB itself, you should find the game a little easier once you get your first armour and rifle :)
----
NOTE:
MKennedy has discovered that you can leave combat by clicking on a room exit ( I dont suggest that as it will break the game but thanks again! We'll fix that asap: we should have found that. Cheers!
----

Cheers again, you're a star.
PI

portableTaco

Quote from: pixelincognito on Mon 01/12/2014 18:17:35
That's a great idea portableTaco :) We'll look into that for sure.

Well here it is...the demo in all it's lovely brokeness haha.
Thanks! And please, call me Taco. =p  Awesome, I'm gonna check out the demo tonight after I finish up some of my own work. WOOT.

selmiak

this is really fun though I died way too fast! ;-D

ChestPecRespect

Alright. Just finished the demo today completing most quests that can be completed except

SPOILER ALERT (Isn't there a hide spoiler option?)

The rabbit quest.

I hate that I only have the Fallouts to compare it to as I've never gotten past the first village in Wasteland but yeah.
It's very Fallout-like indeed. Even the battle system in a way except you're in complete control of your 'chance to hit'

There are some noticeable glitches
1. Saving the game in the Subway Security Office. Loading the game sometimes brings me back to the Locker room.
2. The USB doesn't disappear from the menu upon delivery.
3. Clicking on a different exit sometimes exits the map. This one is noticeable in the entrance to the subway.

I have to say I'm loving the random element of the game with the encounters and The Bug Quest.
While I'm not a huge fan of the combat, I love that there is some strategy as to WHERE you do your critical strikes. (limbs of a bug for example. it makes a lot of sense :grin:) Also loving the dr. who references in there. :)

There are a few flaws I feel the need to point out though
1. The walking speed. I don't know about feeling like you're doing more by making the character move so slow. It takes like 7 seconds to get from one end of the room to the other and there is no way to undo a click if you accidentally click the exit on the opposite end.
2. I think he really needs a personal stash somewhere even if just his room. When I got the thing from the Security Office I had to dispose of a lot of hard-earned loot. While I've figured out which are useless, I still had to binge eat and drink and even discard leftover resources just to carry that thing.
3. I don't know if this should be counted but the is currently no way to repair armor. Hopefully this is just a feature you deliberately left out of the demo.

Very excited to play this. I love the multiple status you need to maintain. I was actually surprised the dirty syringe healed some hp as I was expecting a status penalty for doing that.

pixelincognito

Hi ChestPecRespect

I'm so glad you enjoyed what you played so far. It is very much a work in progress, repair kits are planned for the game to fix up damaged armour, we'll definitely look into the issues you've brought up, some puzzling ones haha. But great job getting through the demo, despite it's warts! :D

The map is something we're working on so we hope to flood it with lots of places to loot and explore. Combat is something we're also still developing and enemies with armour is something we need to add a lot more of but the moment we add HE grenades and flashbangs and ballistic knives (think spells) then I think combat will be a lot more interesting of an activity.

[embed=640,360]http://youtu.be/zIJ0LDOL7Aw[/embed]
For more info we had a little interview which discusses a few systems.

I'm really over the moon you've enjoyed your brief run around Dustbowl though :)
Cheers!
Mark

pixelincognito

Hell folks, I hope everyone had a really fun Christmas and New Year and have fully recovered!

It's been a very long time since our last update but what with the aftermath of Christmas and the New Year I needed to give my eyeballs a rest from Dustbowl, just for a wee while.

I've been working really hard on concepting a couple of new ideas for Dustbowl and finalizing the world map, which I may add, is incredibly large! Over the past 8 days I've been working solidly on this element as it's such an important/fun part of the game and I don't think anyone will be dissatisfied with it's scale and the number of areas to enter and loot. The map itself weighs in at 4248x4960 which might not sound like a lot but in regards to pixel art...it's a large area to cover.

All the key areas are now in with a swath of random locations to explore and loot but I'll probably be going back to add in more farms and factories. So by no means an I done with the map but it's looking good :)

Another thing I've been exploring is character portraits. We all love character portraits and for Dustbowl I think it would make a huge difference to the experience. Dustbowl characters are VERY low res and the detail in them is quite simple, BUT with character portraits suddenly this blob of pixels now has a detailed face, a smile, an expression...a real character. So I'll be looking at getting them into the game :)

So now I'm happy with the map what else? Well before Christmas I just finished a new area "The Junction" which is another section of subway that the player must deal with (and a boss fight!). But I'll be looking at making the new areas and getting them into the game (now that they finally exist in the world!).

But that's a lot of reading so it's time to show off some art I guess :)

Well there we have it for now, progress admittedly has slowed a little but we're back on it and we hope to get more updates to you soon! We appreciate like what you all your support on the project and if you see please head over to our Steam Greenlight Page and give us a thumbs up :) STEAM GREENLIGHT

CaptainD

If your screen resolution is 320x200 (I'm presuming it is?) that map size works out as the equivalent of a whopping 329 screens!  Which is, by any definition, pretty darn big. :grin:

I'll do an update post on indiegamenews.com - a lot of people are interested in your game!  16th on IndieDB is some going, congrats.

pixelincognito

yeah it is 320x200, the map has taken bloody ages! haha

Thanks for your support!

pixelincognito

Hey everyone!

It's been a really long time since I posted here...it hasn't been due to inactivity but because we've been so busy working on the game that we just haven't had the time to really sit down and collect everything to put in a news post. So what has been going on exactly? Well a lot.

I've been working on hard on getting everything in for the main quest line (so we can actually complete the game). That's all the large unique areas, NPCs and their animations, items and of course...dialogue.

In total the NPC dialogue for the main quest line is over 40 pages (or so Google Docs tells me) and that's pretty whopping. As only one of us can work in the actual project at once I set out writing the dialogue in such a way that it can just be copied and pasted in. So that is a massive load off our shoulders now - and I know how the game ends!! That's good news for everyone.

I kept promising our dialogue system was going to change and it has dramatically (I think I mentioned it in another post but here I go again). We have animated character sprites, unique portraits for every NPC in the game and it just looks so much cooler, with your chat options positioned in a nice place and not covering the centre of the screen.

Shops are also a new feature, with a Medical, Weaponry and general supply stores where you can vender off junk items and keep stocked up.

We're hoping to get the game into a testing phase in March and a big push from us both in getting in the last side quests and random houses to loot. But there is still a lot to do, more random events, enemies and items.

Again, I'd like to plug our twitter page that we update regularly with art, our rather neglected facebook page...and of course our Greenlight page, your support here really does make a difference.

Cheers, and I hope everyone is doing very well!
M

selmiak

this is looking better all the time. Painting cool characters with such a limited palette and small resolution is a mean task and master it!

Hobo

This just keeps getting better and better with each update and the pace of your development process is astounding. This is definitely in my must play list of 2015.

ChestPecRespect

Good to hearing from you guys again!
I was actually able to start and finish Wasteland 2 since your last update. :smiley:
Looking forward to this as I still have that post-apocalyptic fix hehe

pixelincognito

Good day everyone! As always we've been very busy working on Dustbowl and the finishing line is just in sight! We're real excited, the game will be going into a big testing phase very soon and we'll be looking for people to help us test and get Dustbowl up to scratch! We're at the end of cramming in the last bits of art and features with a solid week of quest writing and coding a few weeks ago. The game can now be complete with 3 endings for the player to choose! In the main story there's about 20 quests in that chain which have the player wandering the highlands and lowlands of the wastes. We also have a number of really cool side quest ad large mutant encounters!

More weapons have been going into the game for the player to use, AK47, M16, M60, Flame Thrower all with unique sounds and effects.

One feature that wasn't in our paper-thin demo was a storage locker for items...well good news! We have them now, a storage locker shared between the populated areas of the game.

Another new feature that's been added is a simple crafting system that can be accessed via workbenches which can be found in various locations. This isn't minecraft, you simply convert groups of junk into usable items. Currently you can build: Bandages, Medkits, Med Hypos, Armour Repair Kits and Multi-tools (our version of the lockpick). A simple cooking system has also been added and you can cook raw meat for food. More random encounters have been added to the wastes...from travelling traders to abandoned vehicles and the legendary Hotdog Man!

The random areas of the map which can be explored are all complete, the map is a huge, vast area and there are now 51 locations that can be explored! Among other things we've been fixing a lot of issues here and there, sorting out tooltips, putting in the last of the NPC portraits, adding a cool portrait selection to the player screen and getting the permadeath option in!

We are at a critical time in our Greenlight process so we humbly implore anyone to head over to our greenlight page and give us a vote. We really appreciate all the support and it means a lot to me and Tom. We've been working very hard at keeping the progress high and the quality up. I also wish I could give everyone a big hug who's already voted! (there's not enough hugs in the world).
OUR GREENLIGHT PAGE!

So lots and lots of things! But time for some art?

Again, we appreciate all your support, I hope everyone had an amazing Easter and are now full up on chocolate bunnies!
Mark.

Monsieur OUXX

It's still all supercool. I love the sort-of 16/64-colors Amiga-like low-saturation color palette.

pixelincognito

Hi everyone! I want to thank everyone for their votes, we have finally been GREENLIT! it really means a lot and we need more AGS games on STEAM! News travels in the radioactive winds! Dustbowl is now entering it's final testing phase!

We managed to get the last features in and cleaned up a lot of old placeholder art so everything is looking much nicer. That's not to say we're done, there's always more polish, animation effects, more weapons but these things aren't game breakers and can be added at my leisure.

The features we have in Dustbowl is:

1) New Dialogue system with full character portraits.
2) Crafting benches to make a number of cool items.
3) Different grenades that add more tactics to combat.
4) Simple cooking system to sizzle up raw meat.
5) Use multitools on locked objects to get their goodies.
6) Full custom quests system with 4 tasks per quest.
7) Day/Night system, get tired, sleep, camp the night in the wastes.
8) Explore a huge map with over 50 locations.

As you can see it's a lot to test and we expect a lot of typos due to the sheer amount of dialogue but we'll get there and we're on target for our rough release date (touch wood).

I want to really thank everyone again for making two small developer's dreams come true.

Mark.

Cuiki

And I was worried I wouldn't know what to play after I finish Fallout. :shocked: :shocked:

Spoiler
..oh look an empty syringe... now where can I find some xander root??
[close]

This looks (and sounds) amazing. Kudos for undertaking such a huge project and good luck with whatever's left to do.
Can't wait! :-D
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Atavismus

Dustbowl is finally out on Steam! :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/367110
(Trailer inside: not sure how to embed a youtube video here)

Thx you all for your support since the early days.
Thx also to monkey_05_06 for his killer Steam plugin.

We'll post soon the game in "Completed Game Announcements" and add a link to a new demo.

StillInThe90s

Congrats fellas!
Will there be a non steam version as well?

Atavismus

Thx StillInThe90s* :)
Yes, there will be a non steam version soon.

(*love your pseudo btw ;))

Ibispi

Congrats guys! Wow. I remember when this thread was first created and there were no replies yet, and I thought, what a nice game idea. After a blink of an eye, you have already finished the game and it is already on Steam! Awesome!

Atavismus

Quote from: Ibispi on Tue 19/05/2015 18:34:15
Congrats guys! Wow. I remember when this thread was first created and there were no replies yet, and I thought, what a nice game idea. After a blink of an eye, you have already finished the game and it is already on Steam! Awesome!
Thx! :)
Yeah, "after a blink of an eye" (9 months, but indeed we didn't see them), we can propose you all to discuss about our baby on the "Completed Game Announcements" thread:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52215.0
See you there!

Darth Mandarb

Congrats on the release!

You might want to update the first post with a link to the completed thread (just a suggestion).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk