Release Something!

Started by Kinoko, Mon 06/06/2005 03:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

I'm actually stealing this idea from the game maker forums. I thought it was a pretty crappy idea there, but I reckon it could be cool here (I guess because I have a lot more respect for what people are producing here).

Basically, the idea is "Release Something". A date is set, and on that date everyone (well, anyone who's interested) posts -something- related to their game. It could be some sprites, some screenshots, a demo, a little one-roomer game, some music... anything you want.  This could even inspire you to finish your full game by the date.

It doesn't matter if what you release isn't complete, or if you don't think it's good, you just release something. I think this could be a great way to motivate us to finish something, to get started on something or to play around with an idea. It's also fun to get a look at what other people are producing, and that alone may motivate us.

Would anyone be interested in this? Any thoughts?

Paper Carnival

is this AGS-only? If not, I'm interested :=

=The=Brat=

smart! im in!

oh yeh im not a moderator so it doesnt matter

Ponch

Sure, I'm in. I just released a batch of screenshots for my next game on my website but I could probably find something else to push out into the world.

If nothing else, it would inspire me to stay on track and make my release date.

Good idea. Count me in!

MrColossal

Release Something! was basically the idea behind the One Room One Week comp, get people who are just sitting around pretending to work on their huge 400 room game to actually do something that they can release, I'm glad it worked and so many people entered [though there are more of you out there!]

I think if this were to happen everyone who says they'll release something puts there name in, that way everyone will know that you're going to release something and if you don't do it no one will like you and call you names behind your back.

I'd release something... Hell, it's been a few years since I mentioned Time Out, I guess it's time...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Disco

I have some stuff that will not yet make a comprehensible game, so I'm in for the "Release Something" event. Screenshots and perhaps an animation or two can be expected from me. Let's set a date! How about June 22, say......'round noonish (GMT)? Anybody? Have you're people call my people.
Eh, make it whenever you want..it wasn't my idea :P

scotch

Darkstalkey and I might Release Something... although three weeks probably won't be enough time to get it ready.
Hmm, AGA, want to Release the next part of our Something?

PsychicHeart

sure, i've got loads of screenshots just waiting for someone to see. plus i've got a demo... and some sprites... and some.... anyway, I'd love to, but I'm not sure when exactly it is. I know the date, but i can't work out the time. I live in Australia, i dunno if i'm backwards or forwards or whatever. Maybe if i actually listen to one of my geography lessons for once...  :=
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Gregjazz

This is so exciting I might just release something right now.

In my pants.

Err... no? :P

Intoxicatedowl8

^bwahahaha.

This sounds like a great idea dude. I'm really excited and it would get me motivated to finish the tutorial. I will release a demo and sprites and screenshots.
I need a title for my game! Please PM me if you'd like to find out what it's about. :D

Andail

Great idea. Start a thread over at competitions, set a date and we'll be rolling.

Gord10

Yeah, nice idea :) I'm in.
Edit: I have an idea about this. What about if all the released materials were downloadable in a zip package? Like in One Room One Week. We send the materials to somebody, and s/he hosts all them in a zip file.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Kinoko

Done! I set the date for the 25th of June... if that's way too short, we can always have another one later, and the idea is just to release SOMETHING, even something small like a gif.

Redwall

You could make it a monthly thing.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

simulacra

Kinoko

Release Something! part 2.

I've had a few people ask, but I didn't want to make this too regular. Anyway, I'm thinking of starting the next Release Something soon with the deadline perhaps at the end of October.

Could I get some feedback on whether people think this is a good idea or not? It just feels like about the right time, to me. But what matters is how it feels... to YOU.

I reckon I could work hard and get my demo out by then.

Gilbert

I'll say go for it, it's nearly 3 months from the last try (which I think was a success, I'm not sure as I didn't participate and I'll never participate, but I think this surely helps pushing people toÃ,  put more efforts and time in game making), and I think it may be right become a quarterly activity, which I think is a reasonable duration. just don't make it too frequent and it'd be okay. :)

Just post in the competition forum when your're ready, and I'll lock and stick that post until the release date arrives.

Privateer Puddin'

Yep, nice to see another.. good to see stuff from games that haven't been updated for a while or don't yet have a GiP thread :D

Kinoko

Well, I'll probably start the thread later on then (got classes now)

GarageGothic

Oh yeah, just as I was ready to get working on the two Shadowplay tech demos again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk