LazyTown: The New Kid - Dead as of Dec. 20th, 2010

Started by Ultra Magnus, Tue 12/08/2008 19:26:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultra Magnus

Bump!
Opening post has been updated with current stats and a new screenshot.

Well, it's been a lot of work, but I've finished the basic foundation of the game.

What this means is...
* (Most of) the graphics have been uploaded and organised nicely
* The Guis have all been designed and scripted (with mega thanks to Sir Ghost)
* Hotspots and objects are all present and accounted for
* All of the hotspots'/objects' on_click functions are laid out in their room scripts, but they have yet to be filled out.

Basically, all that's left now is the actual game part of the game.

Pray for mojo.

By the way, I've noticed a strange phenomenon (doo-dooooo-doodoodoo)...

I made a frame for some of the Guis, then cut it up to use as the text box frame (so they would match).
When running the game, the colours on the text box are noticeably darker than those on the Gui frame, despite them being the exact same colours.

Has anyone else noticed this happen at all ever?
Any ideas as to why it's happening and maybe how to stop it happening?
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitchin', a total frickin' rock star from Mars.

davidnagel

Oh wow. I'm not ususally a praiser of the LazyTown programme since the main mustached bloke scares me a little but I am finding your enthusiasm for such a game-make and the way you are using the graphics and in general is just outstanding. I am surprised that you haven't been given the job of LazyTown game yet.

Mega impressed, look forward to seeing it complete :)

Ultra Magnus

Thanks guys.

Quote from: davidnagel on Fri 27/02/2009 13:22:59
I am surprised that you haven't been given the job of LazyTown game yet.

It's all down to politics. ;)
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

BiggerJ

I'm curious about the new style. Will all the backgrounds be like they are in the newest screenshot? And will the 'act like a LazyTown character or act like a real person' dialogue options be returning? As I said before, I enjoyed those.

By the way, speaking of those dialogue options, if you decide to keep them in, it'd be great if the player had multiple dialogue options when Sportacus first mentions sport candy. They could be something along the lines of:

Sport candy? What's that? (LazyTown character option)
Sport... candy? Isn't that an oxymoron? (Normal person option)
Let me guess, you mean fruit, right? (Quick option resulting in less talking until next dialogue choice or end of conversation)

Ultra Magnus

Quote from: BiggerJ on Sat 28/02/2009 04:56:35
I'm curious about the new style. Will all the backgrounds be like they are in the newest screenshot?

Nah, that's an example of a dialogue screen.
The scenes will be normal when you're just casually walking around looking at things, but when you talk to a character they'll adopt the effect that can be seen in said screenshot.

I probably should have mentioned that when I posted it, but there you go.
What's life without a bit of mystery?

Quote from: BiggerJ on Sat 28/02/2009 04:56:35And will the 'act like a LazyTown character or act like a real person' dialogue options be returning? As I said before, I enjoyed those.

Aye, they will. Worry ye not.
And thanks for the suggestion.

Ultra Magnus

Well, I've broken it.

It was only a week ago that I finished the core scripting, and for some reason it's already stopped working.
On top of that, I have no idea how or why or where in the script the problem is, so it's not gonna be an easy fix.

I don't want to have to start over again. :'(

Disregard.
I'm an idiot.

Ultra Magnus

Corr, this game making lark's tougher than it seems, innit?

Well, another five months, another update.

Here's what's been happening...
Way back when, I was working on the game happily and (fairly) productively, until it got to the point of writing dialogue.
I found it really tough to write anything halfway decent, so I decided to take a break, do something else for a while, and come back to the game fresh and full of new ideas.
Then I kinda... forgot to come back.

Jump forward to the now, and I finally got back to working on it again a couple of days ago, but I still suck at writing dialogue.
I replayed the old demo to see how I used to do it, and it just felt really weird to be playing it.
It seems like a decade ago that I made that, and I almost can't believe that I made it.
I can kinda remember doing it, but it feels so distant.
It creeped me out.

Aaaanyway, I'm back, and I'm asking for help.
I'm looking for somebody to help me write some decent dialogue.
You don't have to be a fan of the show, just able to write better than I, which shouldn't exclude anybody beyond the age of three.

I realise that my track record may not inspire confidence, but believe me, I really do want to finish this project, and the more help I get, the easier (and quicker) it will be to realise this goal.

Help me [your name here], you're my only hope!

arj0n

Magnus, maybe you should post your question for a dialoque writer in this request-for-help post

Ultra Magnus

arj0n

Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus

What time is it, kiddies?
IT'S BUMPDATE TIME!
Quite a lot has been going on as of late....

About half way through August I had an idea for a really cool ending to the game. It'll take a lot of work, but it should be well worth it. In a way, then, it's good that I didn't finish this before now, otherwise this new ending would never have existed, and the game would have just finished in a bland and obvious way, whereas now it'll be epic. Fact!

Then, an offer of help with the dialogue finally arrived near the beginning of the month from new guy smartgenes. Which is awesome. FACT!

Not long after that, I had another idea on how to make the UI flow better, so completely overhauled that, with a tonne of scripting around it. Which is annoying. FACT!

So... yeah.
Stuff's coming along quite nicely, if a bit slowly.

I know you don't care, but then why are you reading this? ;D

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Ultra Magnus on Thu 24/09/2009 18:27:38
I know you don't care, but then why are you reading this? ;D
I can't afford books..

Anyway, thanks for the update! Game seems neat, I'm looking forward to it :)

Ultra Magnus

I know it's been yonks since the last update, but I had actually started working on this game again recently in hopes for an early March release (3yrs after the demo).

Then my computer died.

So that's it, I'm afraid. Both my C drive and my backup drive got corrupted, and with them all my game related files. Plus, the only computer I have right now is a borrowed Macbook, so no AGS for me for a while.

I will make this game eventually, but I'm afraid it won't be any time soon. I apologise to anyone who is still waiting, especially to those of you who have kids that maybe were around the right age to enjoy this kind of thing three years ago but will be too old by the time it actually gets released.

Stiff upper lip, chaps.

Darth Mandarb

That's a HUGE bummer man, I'm sorry to hear that!

Let me know if you manage to recover the game files and we can reopen this thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk