Secret of Monkey Island

Started by Jimi, Sat 08/03/2003 11:58:09

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

Quote from: Ghostamaker on Mon 21/04/2003 03:59:24intill then if they want my money, they can bloody well earn it.

Yeah, that's the part when they "spent countless hours making the game that you want to play"   ::)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

ghost maker

they "spent countless hours making the game that you want to play"  

Im not to sure how many countless  hours they spend making some games but its not enough (lucas arts >:() recently there games arnt worth the cd's there printed on, all there earlyer games were great, but ever since they started on the star wars games there other games have lost value. Im willing to may $10 for Sam & Max but not $80+ for EMI or CMI (brand new)
Im with scummbuddy i say we steal what we want but cant afford, like those poor iraqies, having to steal national treasures, and rob banks of millions. ;D

Scummbuddy

I was using sarcasim, and plus, EMI and CMI did not come out priced at 80.....

heres some more sarcasim:
They practically tell us to warez their games.....To quote Guybrush "Never pay more than 50 bucks for a computer game"
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Jimi

Let me ask you this: "Would you go into a store, and steal a lucas arts game, when there are even beter games on sale?"

Scummbuddy

Wait, who are you asking, and what do you mean?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Grog_boy

I think is ridiculous LucasArts Still trying to earn money with old dos games.... They're all great games they should choose, or make the games full audicence acessible, or Remake then to run under Win 9x/XP...
This is a poll at Scumm Bar.... "Should the first two Monkey Island games be available for free?"...
Keeping the same old engine but with voices maybe....

Jimi

I would say YES. If they were free, more people would get interested in adventure gaming.

Privateer Puddin'

it'd be too much work to put voices into the original 2

remixor

Quote from: ghost maker on Tue 22/04/2003 15:57:45
recently there games arnt worth the cd's there printed on

Fine, then don't bother stealing them.

If LEC can make money off their old games, they probably will.  It's not really a moral issue; it's their choice.  Obviously it would be nice if they offered them for free, but if they don't it's too bad.  It's not like they're charging exorbitant sums or anything.  Ever seen how much some old games sell for on Ebay?  I know this isn't directly related, so don't bother telling me, but they often sell for many times more than the game originally retailed.  At least LEC keeps their games available.  It's so easy just to become accustomed to stealing whatever software or media (music, videos, anything) you want these days that people start to think they somehow DESERVE that as a right.  That's total rubbish.  I don't want to start an argument about recording industry ethics or whatever, but most people seem to pirate media and software far beyond what can be reasonably justified.  If you're going to do it ANYWAY, who cares if LEC doesn't offer their old stuff for free?  You don't see furniture stores letting go of their outdated chairs for free; they may discount them a bit or a lot, but they're still a company and if they can get someone to pay for it they will.  Welcome to the world.

Ghostmaker

I say it makes no diffenece whether we steal the games, pirate them, or pay for them, nobody gets hurt, and nobody cares so lets do whatever the hell we like, now i have some buring to do. ;)
So, this is AGS, i have seen more amature

Scummbuddy

What do you mean, "No one gets hurt."   ?    The game makers who make their living on making games would get hurt, as well as the company.  Lesser sales because people are stealing the games will make the company not feel like there is a need to make more since no one bought the game (whether or not they know they are being pirated is not the issue)  Without the revenue coming in, they wouldnt need so many writers, designers, artists and such and people are let go.  

Way to go... you just got someone fired.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Trapezoid

The type of people who would pirate a game generally aren't the type who pay for it if a pirated copy wasn't available. The type of people who pay for it generally aren't the type who would seek out a pirated copy. Either way LucasArts is making the same amount of money off their old games: Not a lot.

Ghostmaker

By the time a game gets to australia, and a pirate copy is available, the gaming company will have already made a profit, and will continue making a profit, whether or not i obtain a pirate copy, and nobody gets fired it a company as big as lucas arts inless they deserve it, and i only pirate games from the larger companys as they make the better games. (not as good as some people on this website)

remixor

Quote from: Ghostmaker on Fri 25/04/2003 10:03:28
By the time a game gets to australia, and a pirate copy is available, the gaming company will have already made a profit, and will continue making a profit, whether or not i obtain a pirate copy, and nobody gets fired it a company as big as lucas arts inless they deserve it, and i only pirate games from the larger companys as they make the better games. (not as good as some people on this website)

Rather ironic that you choose to pirate the better games...  ::)

As far as your statement about people getting fired, people are actually fired more easily from larger companies.  Happens all the time.

Jimi

I'm asuming that having a job as a games programmer is pretty lousy. You only get payed when the game actually sells, so if the game was crap, they would go bankrupt.

Ghostmaker

I chose to pirate the games created by larger compays because if they missout on a few sales its not going to send them bankrupt, unlike if i pirate from a new company that invests all its money in one game. If game developers didnt want to go bankrupt then maybe some of the CEO's should take a pay cut. :o

DGMacphee from work

Piracy bankrupting LucasArts?

Har har har har har har!!

I'm sure Uncle George has a thick wad o' cash to aid the company, especially after the recent name change.

Besides, after the pieces of dreck I call the last two Star Wars movies, he deserves to get a piece of profits stolen by a few gamers living in their Momma's basement.

Scummbuddy

All you people think you deserve things when your mind is just twisted.  They don't owe us anything but a good game, which we should pay for if we decide to play it.  You guys are just trying to calm your concious by giving reasons to your piracy.  It's stealing.  Just that simple.  

"oOooo.  It's a big company.  They can take a hit by me not buying their product."    
---Thats the biggest load of crap I've heard to justify piracy.
-Hoagie from DOTT

DGMacphee

Speaking of owing us a good game, I think releasing Escape From Monkey Island is reason enough to start looting LucasArts like liberated Iraqis!

LucasArts should be levelled for releasing a piece of shit like that!

And so goddamn what if it's stealing?

What right do you have to condemn anyone with such sanctimonious ravings when we're stealing games from a company that no longer gives a shit about us?

Case in point: I spend 50 quid on EMI, thinking "Oh wow! I can't wait to see what happens to Guybrush!"

Hahaha -- I'm so damn foolish!

I wasted 50 bucks, which I earned through hard work selling crack to old people in a nursing home, so I could afford that game and it turns out to be (and you may quote me) "ONE OF THE WORST ADVENTURE GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED!"

I tried to return the game to the shopkeeper, but he said the product had to be faulty.

"It is faulty," I said, "It's a fucking awful game!"

You see, judging by the number of ridiculous Star Wars games and the very dodgy EMI (Giant Robot Monkey my arse!), LucasArts just want to take our hard-earned cash for half-assed attempts at games.

Not only that, but they're phasing out decent adventures -- E.g. Full Throttle 2 will be a stupid arcade games (It's being released on XBox, nuff said) with a very-happy looking Ben -- which is FUCKED (repeat: FUCKED) because Ben doesn't smile!

Meanwhile, they refuse to support older adventure games because they're scratching their heads and arses, wondering how you're suppose configure them with XP, which most people seem to be turning to these days.

And what was their latest strategy?

Oh wow -- they changed their name!

Brilliant -- as if I could actually care less whether they call themselves LucasMcblogs Fartypants Incoprerated Ltd Pty.

Their current stock of games are still SHIT!

I'll just repeat for those who have foggy eyes: SHIT!

Hey, LucasArts -- Stop trying to figure out what to call yourselves and make a decent game for a change!

If LucasArts did that, maybe we would actually care what happens to them and stop stealing.

Ahhhhhh -- I'm glad I got that out of my system, and it felt soooo good!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Ghostmaker

Im with you DGMacphee.

I havent done anything special with my life, im noting great, im just a nice body with a good face, so i dont "deserve" to pirate these games, i still do, and if you want to call it stealing, go ahead and call it stealing, it doesnt matter to me, so im a thief, big whoop, if george lucas wants me to stop, he can bloody well come to my house and tell me, so i can take some of my pent up anger out on him.

And another thing, i dont live in my mothers basement...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk