Mittens 2009: Pre-Planning *Updated 1/25/09* Location Question

Started by Grundislav, Sun 28/09/2008 00:29:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Hello,

As you may know, I will be hosting Mittens 2009 in Miami, Florida.  I've started this thread to get some input from potential attendees regarding where to stay.  As of right now, I've been able to find a couple of options, but each has its pros and cons.  So I will be taking into account people's preferences when choosing a place to stay.

Originally, I had this place in mind.  It's cheap and in a decent location.  Even though it is essentially an RV park, it has cabins which can be rented.  However, a look on the map of the site shows that the cabins are a bit spaced out from each other.  If we were to only rent the one big cabin, the limit is 16 people.

Another option I've been looking into is house rental.  There are several nice, large houses available to rent in many areas of the city.  The downside is that they aren't as accommodating as the French chateau,  and the largest one I've been able to find is 22 people.  This probably won't be as cheap as the campsite, but it won't be horribly expensive.

A third option which may be necessary if more than 20 people come is to rent a house elsewhere.  I know there are large beach homes for rental on Florida's west coast, which is about a 2 hour drive from Miami.  We would be able to come to the city on day trips no problem.

So basically this all depends on how many people come.  I would hate to have to set an attendance limit, but it might be necessary in some cases.  Please discuss.

Also, Darth or Mills - if you guys are aware of any places in Florida that rent houses that can fit 25 + people, please let me know.

EDIT 11/3/08
This is the place I'm looking at now.

Update 1/25/09
The house people got back to me and informed me that the original property is no longer available to rent.  They did, however send me links to two other properties which are in a nice area.  The choice lies with how extravagant we want to be.

Oceanfront house?
or
Historic Mansion?

Personally, I lean more towards the mansion, as it's slightly cheaper and has more rooms/amenities.  If we get 20 people it will be less than $300 per person for the week, so not a bad deal.  They are relatively in the same location, so getting around won't be a problem.

Input is appreciated!

TerranRich

You know, my wife now works for a hotel reservation company, and we get rooms for dirt cheap. If we ever wanted to take a vacation next year, we'd go to Disney World and/or Universal... and maybe drop by Mittens. :p

Disco

Well you have to consider that both North American meetings so far haven't cracked the 20 mark. At 16 people in Canada, it was a bit less than the two previous European meetings, so perhaps it would be wise to think in those terms.

A house would be ideal given that we have been spoiled over the last couple years, and 22 seems doable for a North American meeting.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I like the first option just fine, but then again, I'm not extremely picky about where I sleep as long as I have my own bed.  And yes, this means my potential for attending this Mittens is above *0%!

Edit:  I notice that spot has 2-room lodges for 109 a day vs the 179 a day for the bunkhouse, with the bonus of showers and a working fridge.  Two of these might be a better idea, imo (218 vs 179 for 2 working showers and two fridges sounds good to me!).  I'm sure if they were reserved early enough we could get them next to each other? I'm not sure what the deluxe version offers for the extra 20.  Is it possible for you to call them and find out if there's any real difference?

*train fees to be determined as I hate and refuse to take a plane.

Pet Terry

I will come.

Options 2 and 3 look the best to me, but if we are 16 or less we might as well go with the first option. As long as we don't have to sleep in tents! It would be nice to have a big room/area where we can all gather to socialize and stuff, as far as I remember the campsite didn't really have anything suitable?

I don't really mind if it is not in the middle of Miami, as long as it's not too many hours away from Rapids Water Park!!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Esseb

I'll be there.

Anything but tents is fine for me, but one large house would be ideal. Some kind of common area like Petteri mentioned would probably be nice also, so I suppose I vote for option 2 and 3 also.

Nacho

First: As said in Mittens 2008, we (Lore and me) will attend unless something serious unexpected happens... I know I haven' t attended to any transaltlantic mittens, but I' ve discovered that not enjoying Ryan' s ass for two years is too much for my heart.  :-*

Second... I enjoyed a lot Benidorm Mittens, which seems to be the closest to this tropical-close-to-the-city event of options 2 and 3... but remembering the "magic moments" of the chateau and Swede Mittens make me doubt if we will have that with options 2 and 3, so... I don' t know. The thing is that I basically think that "those magic moments" can only be archieved in the not-too-hot-european forests, so, considering that, even option 1 wouldn' t do it, I would go for 2 and 3. (If everybody has in mind that it' s going to be a "different mittens" than the one in the Ardennes... Not worst, but different).

Less fires, less hiking, less brainy discussions, more theme parks, more discoteques and alcohol! I think that changing a bit is not bad... Basically, if I am with the mates I could go anywhere, and I will be with TRUE FRIENDS in mittens.

As for the attendance limit... I don' t know... I think that everybody enjoyed last mittens a lot and the expressed will to attend to Miami were true, so, I am quite optimistic about the cypher of attendants, even the overseas trip... But I am sure we will accomodate everybody.  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Pumaman

I agree that having our own house would probably be preferable, since it would give us a main common room to hang out in -- I think we all got a bit frustrated with not having anywhere like that at the Benidorm Mittens.

In terms of numbers, as Disco says the previous North American meets have had 13 and 16 people, so setting a limit of 20 (or 22) seems quite reasonable.

If we can arrange a day trip to Orlando to see some of the tourist sights there, so much the better!

scotch

QuoteLess fires, less hiking, less brainy discussions, more theme parks, more discoteques and alcohol!

You realise how awful this will sound to a large number of people right?

I'm going to try and make it but that depends entirely on money. I think a 20 person limit is reasonable but I definitely think it would be hit. For me it doesn't matter where in Florida it is, I don't really have any interest in the big attractions, just the Mittens! A house would be a huge bonus for me, I think the private group areas are about the most important feature of a mittens location.

Radiant

Sounds good.

On the last mittens some people mentioned going on a cruise near Miami, is that still in the plans or is it not mittens'y enough? :)

Creed Malay

I am most definetly on for it! Though how I cope with the Florida heat remains to be seen. I get sunburned on cloudy days, and tend to sink into a semi-coherent and near sedated state in hot and humid enviroments. I've never been able to properly explain myself in that kind of climate. :)

I'd vote for the house, mainly for the communal group area thing mentioned earlier. We need a place to make plans and plot plots.

Scotch and Nacho - can't we hike from a disco to a theme park while having a brainy discussion and drinking? And then set the theme park on fire?
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Becky

Adam and I shall endevour to be there.

Adamski

QuoteLess fires, less hiking, less brainy discussions, more theme parks, more discoteques and alcohol!

Woah there! No need to take away the best parts of mittens and replace them with the worst parts! ;)

I'd vote for some sort of communal house type thing. The campsite/RV cabins look nice, but that would probably bring up the issue of not having any central private space for us mitteneers to go to. In Greece we could escape to the beach at night, make campfires and be merry together there without irritating any one else (or anyone irritating us!), but when we didn't have this in Benidorm it sort of fell apart.

Maybe a Beach home outside of Miami would be a good idea... it'd be awesome if we had a close beach to chill at that was a bit more secluded

Grundislav

So far it seems most people want a house.  I agree that this would probably be a better option.

It pretty much boils down to how many people show up.  If it's around 16-20 we'll probably be able to get a nice house within the city, if it's more we can get one on the west coast.

One thing to keep in mind is that Miami is not a city designed with walking in mind.  We will need cars to get around, even if we're in the city.  I have mine, which holds 4 people, so we will most likely need to rent a van like in Canada.

Florida is roughly the size of Great Britain.  It takes about 2 hours to cross the state, and about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get to Orlando, so getting anywhere can easily be done in a day.

Radiant: A cruise wouldn't really work, unless you want to go on one of those booze/gambling cruises that last a day.  There's really no point in spending extra money to go out for 3 days if we have a house for 7.

I am looking at the last week of July for Mittens, so all you pasty European types had better make sure to pack your sunscreen.  ;)

Quote from: Nacho on Sun 28/09/2008 12:07:13
Less fires, less hiking, less brainy discussions, more theme parks, more discoteques and alcohol!

I don't know what the rules are regarding bonfires on Florida beaches, but we may have some.  Theme parks (Disney ones) are expensive and will be super crowded mid-summer, so I would hold off on those unless you're really really desperate to see Mickey Mouse.  Discoteques are reeeeaaaaallly not worth the bother.  Alcohol...well, it's Mittens. There will be alcohol.

Nacho

QuoteYou realise how awful this will sound to a large number of people right?

That' s my opinion... And I think that taking mittens out of the forest and taking it to the beach will do that. I keep my opinion, sorry. If this Florida mittens ends up being so "magic" as Sweden or Greece, I will be the first one to be happy, but I doubt it will happen.

I will try to be more carefull next time. I will try not only not to concur on negative thinkings, but I also will try to avoid MENTIONING that those negative events exist.  :P

Ok... Sarcasm off, Now let' s go serious ;) Did I say I preffer this "alcohol mittens" than the "intimate ones"? NO. Did I say less brainy discussions is good? NO. I was just mentioning that making Mittens in Miami (or Florida) opens the possibility to that "party attitudes". In some way I was trying to take preassure down to the organiser, since I was accused in some way of promoting that "alcoholic mittens edition" and of "not arrange enough activities".

A quite unfair statement, since I was sleeping at 23:00 while people was at pubs drinking, never received a complain about it by anybody since two weeks later, and organised the bigger amount of activities ever (Aqualandia, Terra Mítica, visit to the secret beach, visit to Sierra Aitana...)

Being a mittens host is complicate... There is a lot of people, and not everybody can be satisfied. Sometimes, even if you preppair everything will love, devotion, and illusion you don' t archieve the magic that there is in some editions which had barelly 0 preparation, like happened in "Le Chateau". I was just mentioning that in the following edition, which such a radical change of enviroment that might happen to Grundy, and it should be very unfair to him. Everybody voted for Miami mittens, so, of it' s not like in Vireaux, don' t complain... I am sure it will be great as well, in a different way.

Scotch: I don' t really see how mentioning the possibility of something to happen can be considered as "awfull", might "sound awfull" or needs to be censored in some way. I consider this forums as my home, a place where I come to see MY FRIENDS, and I wouldn' t like to go carefull, or have to think my sentences twice, specially with things of such a little importance.

Adam: Saying that "discoteques" and "alcohol" are "the worst part of mittens" is unfair. "Alcohol and discoteques are the worst of mittens (According to Adam)". That is perfect.

Alcohol and discoteques (or pubs, or a night of party, or booze) is very likely to happen in Miami, and, even if I (Nacho, as an indivudual member) might agree with your that it' s not be the best option, painting it as HORRIBLE from the very begining is unfair and an extra preassure for the organiser, although you don' t see it now.

Trust in him, and flow with the crowd. If the current takes you to a lovely conversation under Florida stars in front of a fire, cool, but it the current takes you to get drunk, embraced to your best AGS friend and singing "La cucaracha" loud, at 3 am, enjoy it aswell, man. Be preppaired for everything. Be a ninja.

That remembers me, Grundy... How is police in Miami? What would happen if a patrol car gets us embraced, walking in esses in the middle of a Miami Avenue singing "La cucaracha" aloud? Say percentages of:

a) They will say nothing, smile and leave us alone.
b) Be took the attention without getting out of the car.
c) We warned severelly, getting out of the car, even.
d) Be detained and sleep in the police department.

Police brutality in the USA is an urban myth here in Europe, and I would like to be sure about how plausible it is...

MillsJROSS

I don't like the idea of capping it off at 20 people. While I agree that past appearances to Mittens haven't been in huge droves, many of the people who formerly couldn't make it are in a better position in their lives to take a Mittens vacation. We need to find out how many people would be interested. How many are almost 100% sure they'd make it. How many people think they really want to go, but they might have to assess the cost or other factors. How many people are interested, don't think they'll be able to make it, but with a "you never know" attitude. Once we have that number then we assess what we can get. It might very well be the magic number 20, but I think we should do more than assume that it will be.

As far as vehicles. I can tote around four additional people in my car.

I don't care if we have one large house or several small ones. What I do want is to be isolated enough where we don't bother other people, or aren't bothered by other people. Close enough to some authentic Florida touristy things like St. Augustine. There are tons of really great gardens and parks in Florida. Obviously, we need a beer fountain, but that almost goes without saying.

I loved the randomness of our vacationing in France, but part of that was due to no one really living near the area. In this case we have more intimate knowledge of our surrounding area, so I expect some sort of planning to be done. I'll contact a great friend in Miami, who may know some really good vacations spots, and see if they know anything. I also had a friend who had access to a mansion in Naples, but Naples is very much in the middle of nowhere, and while the house is very nice, I think it would only fit about 15 of us (and I haven't been actively a friend with them in some time).

This website might help in the search, Grundi.

homaway

-MillsJROSS

Pumaman

Quote from: Nacho on Sun 28/09/2008 17:15:47
Did I say I preffer this "alcohol mittens" than the "intimate ones"? NO. Did I say less brainy discussions is good? NO. I was just mentioning that making Mittens in Miami (or Florida) opens the possibility to that "party attitudes". 

Ok, can we please not have a repeat of this discussion, instead I'd like to state the following:

1. being in Miami does not automatically mean it'll be Boozeittens
2. nobody has to take part in anything they don't want to
3. some people like boozy party nights more than others. nobody is right and nobody is wrong, it is just a difference of opinion.

So please can we leave it there for this thread!! ;)

QuoteTheme parks (Disney ones) are expensive and will be super crowded mid-summer, so I would hold off on those unless you're really really desperate to see Mickey Mouse.

Bearing in mind that it takes 4 hours to get to Orlando, maybe visiting Disneyland wouldn't be the best idea for Mittens.

However, I would probably be interested in arriving a few days early / staying a few days late in order to visit the Orlando theme parks, since I've never been before and don't know if I ever will again. So if anyone else is interested in doing that we could potentially have an optional extension to Mittens for doing so.

Ubel

I'll quite certainly be there. I have a good load of money on me right now, so as long as the accommodation isn't ludicrously expensive I can make it.

To me it doesn't really matter that much where we'll stay either, so I'll leave that discussion for those who care.

Esseb

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 28/09/2008 19:10:59
However, I would probably be interested in arriving a few days early / staying a few days late in order to visit the Orlando theme parks, since I've never been before and don't know if I ever will again. So if anyone else is interested in doing that we could potentially have an optional extension to Mittens for doing so.

Sign me up. I was considering this as well, but didn't really want to do that on my own.

Ubel

Quote from: Esseb on Sun 28/09/2008 20:37:42
Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 28/09/2008 19:10:59

Sign me up. I was considering this as well, but didn't really want to do that on my own.

Actually that sounds like fun. It's a bit early to say but I might join you guys.

Layabout

I will, without a doubt, attend as I've already told Francisco.

A large number see convinced that, bring in Miami, it will be Boozittens. I assure you, having been to Miami with Francisco, this probably won't be the case. Although I am definately one for exploring different bars and having a good time with people I like, it will not be a case of spending every night in bars. I enjoyed hanging out at le chateau drinking wine and chatting random bollocks with great people, one thing we didn't have in espana, since we had no common room, a thing we did have in France, and hopefully will have in Miami.

And the fact everything is so far apart in Miami will mean we will either have to drive to bars and have a designated driver, or get taxi's to and from, the cost of which I don't know.

And personally, I am not bothered if we have a beach nearby or not. It seems people want to recreate their favourite Mittens moments. I personally want to have new and exciting things, even if I have been to Miami before.

We must visit Simon and Seamus at the Irish Times though. To be sure.

I am Jean-Pierre.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

2. nobody has to take part in anything they don't want to
3. some people like boozy party nights more than others. nobody is right and nobody is wrong, it is just a difference of opinion.

Thanks for bringing these up, CJ.  Since I don't drink liquor of any kind (or desire to), it would be rather silly to try and 'pressure me' about it.  On the other hand, I'm not going to try and stop any of you from wandering to a bar if you choose to do so (just don't expect me to come along, ok?).

And I'd be on for hanging with CJ the extra time to go to a theme park or whatever, you just have to give me some kind of timeline so I can figure out the train ticket times.  Worst case scenario, I can just buy a ticket there and live with Grundislav for awhile, right?

Right?

AGA

I'm not coming.

Spoiler
lol, I lie
[close]

MrColossal

obviously jess and I will be there, we are fine with anything though we totally prefer a house or some place with a common meeting area. 1 roof to meet under I feel is very essential to social activities and general friendliness.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Becky

Oh yes, and my graduation week is 13th-17th of July, so I am totally up for rollercoastering and themeparking if it doesnt clash with that :)

Dave Gilbert

It's tough to commit so early but I have a definite interest in going.  Janet says she'll come too. :)

Grundislav

Okay, taking into account the number of people who have expressed some form of interest, we're at 20 attendees right now...though I'm sure more people will probably express interest, and I'm sure others will drop out, as it happens every year.

Just to give you guys an idea of the type of house you can expect, this one seems pretty nice.  Even though it says it sleeps 18, I'm sure we can work some magic with sofas and air mattresses/sleeping bags, just like any other place we end up staying at.

Becky

That house looks all sorts of amazing, and pool and private beach as well?  Very yes!

Simple

This is only about two hours from my house.  Let's see what kind of excuse I can come up with now.
Larry Vales:  Reloaded production blog:
http://larryvales.wordpress.com

MrColossal

one quick trip into the future later:

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It has a pool table.  What more can one want?

Simple

Quote from: MrColossal on Tue 30/09/2008 00:36:46
one quick trip into the future later:

Ooh, that'll do nicely Coslossel!  I'd consider coming out just because it's so close, but I've been so out of the AGS loop that I'd no longer no what to expect.  We'll see as the time approaches.

Pumaman

Quote from: Simple on Tue 30/09/2008 12:44:31
I've been so out of the AGS loop that I'd no longer no what to expect. 

It's just a week of debauchery, orgies and exchanging of friendship bracelets. You'd fit right in! ;)

abstauber

I'd like to join you too!

Is the last week of July still valid? Unfortunately my boss wants my vacation plans 2009 next week.   :-\

Simple

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 30/09/2008 19:24:24
Quote from: Simple on Tue 30/09/2008 12:44:31
I've been so out of the AGS loop that I'd no longer no what to expect. 

It's just a week of debauchery, orgies and exchanging of friendship bracelets. You'd fit right in! ;)

Oh, I'm considering it.  I'd just feel slightly bad that I disappeared from the community for god knows how long and then turned up to drink everyone's beer and feel up their girlfriends.  (Or boyfriends.  I'm not sexist.)

We'll see.  I'm sure it'd be fun...maybe once I actually have some of the new Vales in the can I won't feel like such a freeloader.

Ishmael

I'm interested, but I have no idea yet if I can actually make it. I'm working on that though. I'm not that much a theme park person, but I tend to manage to have fun most of the time anyway, so anything seems fine with me plan-wise for now.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Miez

I'd love to attend "Mittens 09 - Miami Vice Edition" ;D

Matt Goble

Colour me interested.

;)

PS: Before I forget again, this is why I was unable to make Brittens this year:

And yes, I am well aware how stoopid I look.

toonaholic

Pesty

I will be there, much to the chagrin of many. I would also prefer a house, but I refuse to share a room with any boys, as I do not want to catch your stinky cooties and cootie shots have been restricted to infants and the elderly this year.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

MrColossal

I hear you can get autism from cooties shots anyway...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Wearing a pirate hat will nullify the effects of cooties in a 4 hex radius.

So I've heard!

DutchMarco

Unscheduled earthquakes and other disasters aside, I fully intend on coming to Miamittens.As I don't have any other Mitetns experience I've had other than in the Chateau, I can only comment that the best bit about the whole Mittens-experience is being with such wonderful people (Oh no! He's going on a yucky manhuggy-and-kissy tour again! No I'm not, worry not.), 'cause as with any holiday, it's the company that makes itwhat it is. so as long as it's a place where we all can spend (at least) the evenings together.

Oh and I'd like for a grocery store-kind of place to be relatively nearby next time. I didn't enjoy going on an hourly walk into the village only to find that they had sold out of bagguettes and we had to return empty handed.
(p.s. I think I've missed something - what's a cootie?)

AGA

Quote from: DutchMarco on Fri 03/10/2008 13:41:50(p.s. I think I've missed something - what's a cootie?)

A made-up bug thing that little American boys claim girls have, because girls are gross.

MillsJROSS

cooties are not made up...three out  every ten girls contract this unusual disease, and many never fully recover. Without proper vaccinations, this disease spreads quickly to boys, who often are left with a very weak immune system and girly ideas that never go away. Being aware and prepared is your best line of defense.

-MillsJROSS

Pesty

I forgot to mention, I am entirely willing to bring my tent and camp in the backyard or whatever if we get a house (camping on a private beach would be frickin' sweet).

Mainly because of the aforementioned cootie fears. No amount of pirate hats will keep cooties away from me, especially with AGA around.

Also, I enjoy camping.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

AGA

DutchMarco

Someone I know on another forum (AX84.com/bbs-not gamerelated  but "toy"-related - guitar amps) drew my attention to this address: cvrbo.com

AGA

Charleston is in South Carolina, nowhere near Miami.

edmundito

I'm pretty sure I'll be there, though it might depend on the date. I can guarantee you 90% that I will make it if it takes place up to late June/early July.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Play_Pretend

I totally want to come, that last-week-of-July thing would fit perfectly in my summer class break schedule.  Just wondering, though, with all the fuss about alcohol...I like to kick back and have a good time, have some laughs, do crazy stuff, but I never touch any kind of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc...so other than Progzmax, are there any other people coming who will just want to have fun without drinking?  I mean, cool for those who do, not trying to divide the camp here, just curious.  Same thing for smoking...is there going to be a constant cloud of smoke hovering through the house?

DutchMarco

iirc mods aws the only one who smoked. And he said something to the extent of not coming next year (again, iirc). So chances are no-one will smoke. I acnnot vouch for the effect any cloth-covered furniturewill have on any Mitteneers with matchbook in hand :o but since, even though there willl be drinking (like this year), it won't get out of hand. The people walking into ponds, rivers and off of terraces in the movie, was all just craftily edited by mods to make it look as if it really happened, but it didn't, honestly! We were all lured to our deaths by our ghostly nemesis Jess, she'll  confirm that, won't you, Jess?

Now, if the above doesn't sound just like drunken blurting, I'd be a little surprised, but trust me, you seem more worried about alcohol than you need to be. Or I've got you all wrong, in that case, my apolohgeese.

Ubel

Quote from: Strange Visitor on Wed 22/10/2008 11:53:41
so other than Progzmax, are there any other people coming who will just want to have fun without drinking?

Yep. I belong in the non-drinker group also. I'm glad to see I'm not alone, although I'm not that bothered by other people drinking anymore.

Nacho

Oh, please, shut up! Seems like you imagine last mittens like a rave party of something... There was a night when some guys where slightly ethilic, but nothing else...  :P Everybody is welcome, no matter if you drink or not.

:)

Miez

Quote from: Nacho on Wed 22/10/2008 15:21:13
There was a night when some guys where slightly ethilic, but nothing else...

I'm always a little ethilic :-X

AGA

I'm not coming if I can't use my sweet, sweet heroin >:(

Disco

Also want to speak up for Magintz before the virtual seats are taken,  as he is off adventuring in the USA at the moment, but he has expressed interest as well.

Quote from: Miez on Wed 22/10/2008 15:24:48
There was a night when some guys where slightly ethilic, but nothing else...

I'm always a little ethilic :-X

Yeah same  :o almost enough to want to jump out a window "becasue I thought I could survive it" at one point, but to be fair I did that whole gondola lift trespass thing on zero alcohol :P

m0ds

I don't remember ever saying I won't come to Mittens 09, in fact I think the only thing I said on the subject is "Hell yes". But as with every Mittens, I won't actually confirm if I'm coming or not til a month or two before hand. I AM NOT MADE OF MONEY! Also, there were way more than just one smoker at Mittens 08, there was in fact at least 4* smokers. I get the impression people are worried about smoking/drinking, but jesus! People do at Mittens what they do normally at home, and as far as I'm concerned, for me that's drinking & smoking a LOT. And although I try not to smoke too close to people who "don't like", at the end of the day every Mittens event is effectively one big pub, not a Scout camp!! :)

QuoteThe people walking into ponds, rivers and off of terraces in the movie, was all just craftily edited by mods to make it look as if it really happened, but it didn't, honestly!

This is funny :) Despite the fact many of the actors & crew may have been over the recommended alcohol limit, these events were indeed, purely fiction ;)

* Thought harder about it, there were actually a minimum of 6 smokers at Mittens 08 :O

jetxl

Ubel

Everybody is welcome, no matter if you drink or not.

Look, it's not about that. Some people (me) sometimes feel uncomfortable being the only sober guy in the group, and it's not a wonder this worries the people who don't drink. People aren't really worried about Mittens being a huge "rave party", as you put it. They just want to make sure they don't feel singled out.

I've been to two AGS meetings and both of them had times when I was feeling uncomfortable. It's not because people didn't welcome me to the group. Hell, there has always been someone looking out for me, making sure I'm not feeling left out, which was just amazing. It doesn't help though. If you don't drink and everyone around you does, you WILL feel singled out (no matter how much the drinkers want to avoid this) and it's comforting to know you're not alone.

I don't mean to turn this into a bloody debate on the rights and wrongs of Mittens and definitely don't mean to imply that people shouldn't drink at Mittens. I of course agree that everyone is allowed to spend their time however the hell they want. Just wanted to point out that the non-drinker people don't want to stop Mittens from turning into a week long drinking contest. They just want the comfort of knowing that if it does, they'll still have somebody to hang out with.

Peace, love and flowers and all that other gay stuff! :-*

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I see where Pablo is coming from, and if no one else can then it's pretty unfortunate.  Such a large volume of people drink and think drinking is 'normal' that they tend to treat people who don't as strange, though that's never bothered me.  I've never been the type of person to really care what anyone thinks of me, but there are people who do and who feel uncomfortable in situations where they're surrounded by people doing something that they're not. 

Nacho, I really think you need to calm down with the whole alcohol thing, because you seem to be the only person really getting worked up about it.

It's like I was telling Francisco, if EVERYONE ELSE decides to go to a bar that won't bother me just as long as they don't have a fit because I stay back somewhere and fiddle around with my laptop or whatever.  Everyone has things they approve of and enjoy doing, and everyone has things they don't approve of and don't like doing. 

Let's just leave it at that.

Nacho

I was kidding... That' s why I used emoticons. ^_^ I don' t give importance to this topic at all because I know it won't be a problem at all.

LimpingFish

People who define a good time by the amount of alcohol they consume, or that consumption of said alcohol is a requisite for a good time, are not the type of people I waste time with. It's nothing personal, it's just that my tolerance for people goes down as their alcohol level goes up.

I'll have a friendly ale, or even two, if the mood takes me. But that mood is fleeting, and a rare occurrence.

There is no shame or stigma in saying "Thanks guys, I'll sit this one out." and anybody who claims otherwise is a gobshite.

Smokers, on the other hand, are pure evil, and only deserving of vigorous tongue-clucking and enraged booing.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Pumaman

When did everyone get so bitchy about this? Before long it'll be a Hate Crime to criticise somebody on the basis of whether they drink alcohol...

Anyway it feels like we've been round in circles about this topic enough times by now, can everyone just drop it please?!?

Ubel

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 22/10/2008 23:02:02
When did everyone get so bitchy about this? Before long it'll be a Hate Crime to criticise somebody on the basis of whether they drink alcohol...

I don't think anyone was being bitchy. I know I wasn't. I think this is all a matter of everyone misinterpreting everyone as hostile because they bring this topic up. :P Nobody was deliberately trying to sound hostile or bitchy or in any way negative about the subject. Although I admit this is probably not the best place to discuss this and I shouldn't even post about it anymore, but whatever.

Again, peace and flowers.

Becky

Basically Pablo, yes, there will be people there who won't be drinking, so don't worry about feeling awkward ;)  Plus, if you think being sober with drinkers is awkward, try being one of the few token females at a sausagefest ;)  Really, it's all fine.

Miez

Also (but speaking from a limited perspective, as I've only been to 1 Mittens boozefest meeting) the current discussion makes it come across as a week drenched with alcohol from dusk 'till dawn. That's really not what it's like at all, rest assured. 

Andail

I'll try - again - to be there, especially since the dates seem to fit me much better this time.

And I'll drink as much or as little alcohol as I find fitting.

Play_Pretend

Becky: But what about seeing it from *our* side?  Do you know how hard it is being a real gentleman and knowing that the token females in the 'fest just think you're trying to purvey your sausage upon them?  I swear, someday when men have equal rights to women, we're going to vote for sweeping reform of this sexist oppression!  Burn the boxer brief!

Although I do have to say, I'm one of those guys that really only gets along with women. :)  I almost never have guy friends, even though I'm really laidback and friendly.  I think it's my problems with male "authority" figures.

And I'm cool on the alcohol thing...I just got the apparently wrong impression that a lot of drinking would be going on all around, and I've always been out of place in that situation.  Despite how easy-peasy I take life and people, one of the few extreme views I do subscribe to is my anti-smoking soapbox.  I won't get in anyone's face, I'd just be stuck outside 24-7 if people were going to be smoking in the house, or I'd politely leave the room if someone trailing secondhand came in and stood near me.  So I just wanted to ask before I bought any tickets.  (This has been hyper-compounded by the last 7 months I've spent with my upstairs neighbor's smoke actually pouring down through my apt.'s air vents somehow and making my place smell nasty and killing me allergy-wise.)  So I'm even more tetchy about it than usual, but I'd still be polite and not say anything to my brother (and token sista) AGS'ers. :)

Nacho

I am sick of smoke... It' s true, I am not trying to be bitchy, offend the smokers, or exaggerate. I am phisically sick when I smell it.

But I can tell you that mittens takes place in open spaces, and people is extremelly polite when smoke... Actually, nobody smokes like a chimney here... I don' t know what they do in "normal live", maybe it's  the natural atmosphere, or that they don' t feel good smoking when they are a minority, but I don' t remember someone smoking more than 5 or 6 ciggies per day.

So, another problem not to care about! :) Let' s move.

SSH

Quote from: Mods on Wed 22/10/2008 17:25:30
at the end of the day every Mittens event is effectively one big pub

So that means you'll go and stand outside to smoke?  ;) ;) ;)

m0ds

Sorry, I meant like a foreign pub with no smoking ban ;)

MrColossal

I do not drink. I have been to 3 Mittens. They have been some of the best times I've had as an adult.

CASE: CLOSED

Layabout

Quote from: MrColossal on Thu 23/10/2008 15:26:44
I do not drink. I have been to 3 Mittens. They have been some of the best times I've had as an adult.

CASE: CLOSED

Nacho violated you as well? I thought I was the only one!
I am Jean-Pierre.

Pumaman

We all bear the scars of Nacho's advances.

Miez

Snake

I had a dream once that m0ds and I met. We were hanging out on the porch, having some beers, and my wife  kept asking me when he was leaving.
Don't know if this has any relevance to the thread or not, I just figured I'd throw that in there.

I quit smoking 2 months ago, so I wouldn't be smoking. But it wouldn't bother me to be around other people that would be.
Drinking on the other hand, yes, I would be drinking... in moderation of course. I'd try to keep myself with the same pace as everyone else and not get drunk prematurally.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

AGA

Quote from: Mods on Thu 23/10/2008 15:02:00
Sorry, I meant like a foreign pub with no smoking ban ;)

Apparently Florida has smoking in bars, but it's banned in most other public places.

Nacho

I only violate people whose couple is:

A)Inexistent.
B)More than 1,000 kms. away.

Eric' s girlfriend was there, so, I would have never dare to touch him.

Disco

Well I am offended. My couple is inexistent and depending on what is involved in "violating", I might perhaps be at least semi-willing. What gives?  >:(

Nacho

I do not violate people I might fall in love with... Too much complications.

Layabout

I feel like a cheap play-thing. :(

But yes, some bars you can smoke in in Florida. Just not Irish Times. The smoke makes Seamus cough. Poor Seamus.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Lay on Thu 23/10/2008 15:40:13Nacho violated you as well? I thought I was the only one!

Perhaps not the only, but the most memorable :)

Smoking/Drinking Issue
I do not smoke and I drink very little.  Neither was a problem at Mittens (for me).  I was asked on several occasions if I wanted a beer (or other drink) and my refusal was accepted with no problems.

Domino

Dualnames

Quote from: Domino on Thu 23/10/2008 23:40:45
Was the Pony next??  :)

Nah, they killed it so that he couldn't. And then they made a movie about it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Nikolas

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/10/2008 21:51:32
Smoking/Drinking Issue
I do not smoke and I drink very little.  Neither was a problem at Mittens (for me).  I was asked on several occasions if I wanted a beer (or other drink) and my refusal was accepted with no problems.
As far as I remember, Darth, you were beaten very hard, raped and then given to the dogs to eat you... And this only because you said no to a bloody beer!

Beers are great! YAY!

::) :P :P :P

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Bah, everyone knows that Mountain Dew is the choice of sexy and intelligent men and women everywhere.

And being both sexy AND intelligent, I will drink one now!  8)

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Nikolas on Fri 24/10/2008 10:17:20As far as I remember, Darth, you were beaten very hard, raped and then given to the dogs to eat you... And this only because you said no to a bloody beer!

Is it rape if I asked for it?

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 24/10/2008 15:18:45Bah, everyone knows that Mountain Dew is the choice of sexy and intelligent men and women everywhere

Does Coke Zero count?  I love that stuff ... same taste (really) and zero calories and no sugar.
** Darth goes off to cash the endorsement check from Coca Cola **

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

How manly can you claim to be when you're worried about calories and sugar?

Seriously, Darth...Grow some chest hair already!  :=

m0ds

What's an average price for a flight from the UK? I'd assume about £400? I'm pretty useless when it comes to finding good air fares, but if someone has an estimate, I'll start saving :)

Grundislav

Probably around the £400-600 range.  My flight to Brittens last year was about $1200.

edmundito

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 23/10/2008 15:56:39
We all bear the scars of Nacho's advances.

Dude, I bear advances from nachos and I've never even met him IRL! ¬¬
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Nacho

Sorry??? I remember saying that your sister was gorgeous, but nothing related to you! O_O

Layabout

Well Mark, in May this year I paid £279 for a return flight to New York and £200 for a return to Miami, so with it being a more expensive season, I'd guess about £400-450.
I am Jean-Pierre.

AGA

We paid about £450 for the flights to New York and Canada. I went to LA in May twice now and paid about £350. So I'd aim for about £450-500 in high season, yeah.

Darth Mandarb

When I purchased my ticket for Mittens it was around 800 USD (was £550 I believe at the time).  However ... AFTER I purchased the ticket I checked the flights out of Miami (instead of Ft. Lauderdale) and found them to be a considerable bit cheaper.

So yeah, I'd think you could probably get to Miami for around £400.

And you better make it!  I need a bigger role in next year's Mittens movie!!! :P

m0ds

Haha! Yep, and I hope to include it ;) You can play the lanky American that reaches high up for things Ben could never reach... LOL. Anyway that sounds great. If it is roughly 400, I might save a 150 extra for a return trip day and night trip to Bimini (after Mittens, or during, if anyone else wants too) :D

Nacho

I want to have a bigger role in the next movie too :(

m0ds

You were never available when we needed you :P So next year, scrap a visit to a place of American history (is there such a thing?) for your gripping role!!! :p

Layabout

Quote from: Nacho on Wed 29/10/2008 21:27:47
I want to have a bigger role in the next movie too :(

You can't have a bigger role Nacho, you're like 5ft!!! :p
I am Jean-Pierre.

Nacho

You are both mean!  :'(

Anyway, I will start practising to act better next year ^_^

m0ds

You can play "Little Willy"

You passed the audition in Spain 06 ;)

Ryan Timothy B

Ahh.. the Ben Jordan movie.

I had watched an episode of Supernatural a few months back and instantly thought of it as being the next Ben Jordan movie.  The main character Sam kept reliving the same Tuesday over and over just like in Groundhog Day.  Every time Sam's brother would die (and he Always died each Tuesday), Sam would wake up and relive Tuesday again.  Each day he tried new techniques to try to keep his brother from dying, but it was pointless.

I think the episode was called "Mystery Spot".  It was Season 3, Episode 11.  I really enjoyed that episode, I recommend you guys to watch it. :P  And it has Ben Jordan ALL over it.

Miez

Quote from: Mods on Tue 28/10/2008 17:46:09
I might save a 150 extra for a return trip day and night trip to Bimini (after Mittens, or during, if anyone else wants too) :D

I'm SO THERE!  ;D

Nacho

Can we have a little bit info about the possible extra day in Bimini? Flight? Ferry? Prices...?

m0ds

It's between $150 and $200 for anything up to 7 days, I believe. I'll double check! From Fort Lauredale or whatever it's called in Miami, which I believe is the airport we'll be flying into? I'm not sure, only sort of skim read all this info for now. It could be fun to take a couple of tents and just find a cheap camping site. But, from a few people, I've heard that Bimini is extremely magical, and time appears to "slow"...awesomeo!

Naturally it's all about Miami! But as we're so close, I thought it could be a bit of fun...especially for fans of FoY, as a big chunk of the game takes place there, as did the entire demo. It'd be nice to see how in-accurate we were :P Anyway, it's just something to consider, even if it does end up just being myself, miez & nacho ;)

The whole holiday could be quite costly, so I'm saving now! I presume we'll be visiting some of the movie studios? :D If so how much are day tickets roughly??

Darth Mandarb

I'm on board for an excursion to Bimini ... I flew over it in a small plane a few years back on my way to the Bahamas!  Got an aerial view of the 'Bimini Road' and I said "Some day I'm gonna go back and dive on that road!"  So it would be awesome to get a group to go!  I'm all about 'roughin' it with some tents!

As for the 'movie' studios ... are you talking of Disney World?  That's in Orlando and would take a major chunk out of the Mittens week.  It's a (roughly) 3.5 hour drive from Miami (depending on where we all end up staying) and you need at minimum 2 full days to do it right!  A 3-day 'park hopper' pass (which allows you to just go back and forth from park to park) will cost about 150-200 USD.

Stupot

I need to find a spare bit of time to read this thread through, but I think I'll have a bit of spare cash in the Summer, if I'm careful.  And I hate the idea of missing out on all the fun again.

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 31/10/2008 21:00:08
The main character Sam kept reliving the same Tuesday over and over just like in Groundhog Day.  Every time Sam's brother would die (and he Always died each Tuesday), Sam would wake up and relive Tuesday again.  Each day he tried new techniques to try to keep his brother from dying...

Sounds like... Episode 6X15 of The X-files:
The main character Mulder kept reliving the same Monday over and over just like in Groundhog Day.  Every time a man in the bank would kill Mulder (and he Always did this each Monday), Mulder would wake up and relive Monday again.  Each day he tried new techniques to try to keep himself from dying...

DutchMarco

Sorry Jeremy, but Disney Land doesn't attract me enough. Bimini on the other hand... I'm already planning an extra week or so (before or after, not decided yet)to get mor of my money's worth out of the airfare.

Pumaman

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 01/11/2008 15:36:40
As for the 'movie' studios ... are you talking of Disney World?  That's in Orlando and would take a major chunk out of the Mittens week.  It's a (roughly) 3.5 hour drive from Miami (depending on where we all end up staying) and you need at minimum 2 full days to do it right!  A 3-day 'park hopper' pass (which allows you to just go back and forth from park to park) will cost about 150-200 USD.

If you look back in the thread, we've already discussed going down a couple of days early/staying a couple of days late to visit the Orlando theme parks, so it wouldn't be part of Mittens but some of us are definitely considering doing it before/afterwards.

Grundislav

A lot of people are expressing interest in extra excursions.  Keep in mind that we'll likely be renting the house I linked to, so we want to get our money's worth out of that.  If people want to stay a few extra days afterwards to go to theme parks/Bimini, then by all means do so, especially if it means getting more out of your airfare.

I just think that the week of Mittens itself, we should stay in the Miami area.  There's plenty to do here already!

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 02/11/2008 16:04:13If you look back in the thread, we've already discussed going down a couple of days early/staying a couple of days late to visit the Orlando theme parks, so it wouldn't be part of Mittens but some of us are definitely considering doing it before/afterwards.

Yup, I just didn't think we'd come up with anything solid!  Before/After is a much better idea I agree (and will be there either way!)

And I agree with Grundi ... staying in the Miami area for the week of Mittens is a good idea!

m0ds

Ah, well other people have misinterpreted. I'm sure I said Bimini as an extra to the Mittens week. I thought there was a theme park in Florida, guess I'm wrong. In which case Im not bothered. As long as we go to a water park, that'd be fab ;)

Darth Mandarb

I knew you meant Bimini after Mittens!  Just wasn't sure about the other ... and Disney World is in Florida ... just a bit to the North! :)

There is a water park in West Palm Beach (probably about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from where we'll be staying) that is pretty nice!!  It's closed for the season now and doesn't list (on their website) when they are 'in season' but it might be open during mittens!

m0ds

Sweet! Thanks for the info Darth :) I just realised I don't mind if I don't move a muscle. Mittens will be ultra awesome! Ultrawesome in fact! Just the name West Palm Beach gives me a nice tingle :p But not in my pants don't worry!

Grundislav, for how many days have you considered it to last? How much fanboyism can you take before you have to call it off?  := And thanks in advance, for hosting it in 09!

Grundislav

I'm planning on having it be the standard Mittens length, one week, most likely from Wednesday to Wednesday.  This means July 22-29, 2009.  Are these dates good for those interested in attending?

Nacho

I don't say "no" to those dates :)

SSH

Are you going to hunt skunk-apes, too?

Miez

Becky

Those dates are perfect - I'll be 21 on the 23rd as well so wheeee!

Miez

Quote from: Becky on Mon 03/11/2008 17:55:21
Those dates are perfect - I'll be 21 on the 23rd as well so wheeee!

Yay - we get to celebrate a birthday, Mittens-style!

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Grundislav on Mon 03/11/2008 11:08:41
I'm planning on having it be the standard Mittens length, one week, most likely from Wednesday to Wednesday.  This means July 22-29, 2009.  Are these dates good for those interested in attending?

Not sure I'll be able to get a flight ... I'll have to check. :P

Pumaman

Those dates would be fine with me, except that as I understand it that'd be the first week of the school holidays which could make flights and stuff quite expensive... would it make any difference to anyone if it was pulled back a couple of weeks earlier?

Becky

Well I'll be graduating 13th-17th and unable to come those dates so as long as it's before or after...

Radiant

Well, yes, but I'm wondering why it's not simply a weekend-to-weekend affair? Take five days off from work, get a nine-day holiday :)

Grundislav

Flights are usually cheaper mid-week, that was my basis for that.

MrColossal

Can you update the first post with anything new please? Finding the house link you linked to would be easier!

Ryan Timothy B

Vacation? Interested?
I'm always interested in a Vacation!

It's also too bad you aren't going in January or something, winter sucks here, and Florida is prime time in January :P

DutchMarco

Just to inform that I'm available all year (with the exception of this week-long wacky holiday ;D I'm going to, of course) so I don't mind when said wacky holiday will take place.

Stupot

When's the best time to book a flight?
Out of interest I had a look, and if I were to book a flight now for late July it would be around £600.
To those people who know, is it likely to get cheaper before it gets worse?  Is there a kind of window of opportunity for cheaper flights?  Because £600 is ever-so-slightly out of budget for me :(

I'm seriously thinking about turning up this year though.

Layabout

Your best bet is around 2 months before or 4 days before. (but that is pure luck waiting that long) I'm not sure becuase of the timing of it, but it should be around £450-500. And in my experience, American always seem to be the cheapest airline. Yes they have some pretty unattractive and rude flight attendants as well. But who cares when you save about £100?
I am Jean-Pierre.

DutchMarco

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 03/11/2008 21:24:01

Well, yes, but I'm wondering why it's not simply a weekend-to-weekend affair? Take five days off from work, get a nine-day holiday :)
When I'm going, I'll  extend to extend my stay a bit, like the Americans (and I believe also the Canadians) did with their stay in Paris with last Mittens. Just browse around Florida a bit, try not to run into/over skunk apes.
I should add that those (like most) date are fine by me.

monkey0506

I can't believe I managed to miss this, but I could almost definitely make it to a Miamittens...so long as I can get the time off work. That sounds awesm0eâ,,¢.

Matt Goble

Well, the chances of me making itdropped quite considerably when the nice man from British Gas told me i will need to spend about £3000 getting my central heating replaced...

:'(

Maybe 2010...

Pumaman

Who needs heating, just move to Miami!!

Matt Goble

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 29/12/2008 23:32:34
Who needs heating, just move to Miami!!

Heating is not a problem - you just wear more jumpers - but lack of hot water coming out of taps is a slight issue.

Explaining to my boss why I'd be late into work on Monday, his response was "So... basically... Matt... You Smell..."

Bill was closer to £4K...

:o

Pumaman

You know of course that all he really needed to do was turn a valve from closed to open to fix the problem, but instead has managed to charge you £4K to replace the central heating ;)

Matt Goble

I knew I should have contacted you for a second opinion Chris

;) ;D

Layabout

Christopher (Chris) Jones is a licensed plumbing contractor with more than 30 years plumbing experience.  Chris has operated his own plumbing business in the Pilbara and Gascoyne Region since 1992 and has been appointed by the Minister as a person with knowledge of and experience in the plumbing industry. He is a current member of the Small Business Development Commission and is also a Justice of the Peace.

Taken from http://www.plumbers.wa.gov.au/Pages/Board/Membership.html
I am Jean-Pierre.

Grundislav

Bump again.

I've been asking around, and it's time to finalize some dates.  It seems that airfare skyrockets starting July 1, so I was thinking of accommodating everyone and holding Mittens from Monday June 29 to Monday July 6.  This means the 4th of July holiday will fall over the last weekend of Mittens.  Also, some people have expressed interest in going to the theme parks.  It's possible to go on Tuesday the 7th and stay overnight in Orlando at a cheap hotel, then come back down after a day or two depending on which parks you guys want to go to.  It's a much better idea to go mid-week than on a weekend to the theme parks, because they will be less crowded. 

So, does anyone object to these dates?  If not, they will become the final ones.  I've already sent an email to the house rental people, and am awaiting a response.  If I can have solid dates it would be better.

Esseb

Sure, those dates work for me. Celebrating the 4th of July will be a new experience.

Pesty

These new dates are great. I was kinda hoping we'd be there for the 4th (it's no fun in Colorado since fireworks might cause our whole state to explode).

Darth Mandarb

It could be cool to have Mittens during the 4th celebrations here!  And if we can find a good enough spot you can get quite a show with all the fireworks going off all around you!  I also have a suspicion this 4th of July will be a bit more ... patriotic ... than the last few years given all the election hubbub this year.  Could be quite a show of fireworks indeed!

Anyway ... that was my long-winded way of saying I have no problems/conflicts with the dates you've selected!

Becky

Dates are good :) See you there!  But I wont be 21 yet so you better buy me drinks >:(

Also everything I post applies to DarkStalkey as well.  Apart from the age thing.

Pumaman

Sounds good to me, the fabled Independance Day celebrations had better live up to the hype!! ;)

Finkenstein

OH man!!!

You guys, the 29th is totally my Birthday! My gift is Mittens??? You shouldn't have!

First off I would like a carrot cake, and some kind of chair covered in glitter to for people to carry me around on. Oh yes, did I mention you will be carrying me everywhere? I would like to be escorted to the front of Space Mountain please! BIRTHDAY GIRLS DO NOT WAIT IN LINES.

Lastly Mr. Jones, since you cannot refuse on my Birthday, I would like your Blue cup! Finally...is it mine! Mmmmwwahahahahaaaa

Thanks for the help Grund!
These dates will work nicely.....

Nacho

DutchMarco

I am  :) with these dates, I'm hoping to explore Florida a bit while in the state, wondering if I should do that before or after Mittens. (I've already seen a fair bit of the other states, so I'll stick to Florida this time, of course, I'm still on for Bimini!) Maybe I'll stick to Miami,(as if I don't see enough city-scapes in my day-day life! or visit the everglades - I'll try to take a photo of the skunk-ape if I see it (and it doesn't kill me first :P)
I think I'll plan a week extra in my flight schedule, before or after Mittens. (Which'll be the unquestionable highlight of this year's vacation in Florida, whereever I'll go)

Miez

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Since my birthday falls on the 2nd of July that will be interesting, provided I can in someway afford this trip...

Which is seeming less likely by the month ;(.

MillsJROSS

Unfortunately for you these dates are very accommodating to my summer schedule....so I'm still coming.

-MillsJROSS

Stupot

Hmmm, that is actually the best week you could have possibly chosen, for me :)
Providing I pass my exams, that is... as it clashes with resit week, hahaha.
I'm going to be cocky and say I won't need to do any resits.  ;D

Money's slowly getting short, but I think I can afford it providing I dont't do anything stupid.

Gilbert

Hehe Sorry for off-topic, but I am amused that you made the final date discussion one whole year before the event, or you are talking about 21 months since 2008 started. :=

Grundislav

Whoops! Good catch. I'm not used to it being 2009 yet it seems...

Radiant

Pet Terry

June and July? I'm out then, I'm afraid. I kind of assumed the meet would be in August, so my plan was to work in June and July to earn money for it. There's just no way I could otherwise afford such a trip.

Oh well, I guess this means I will get to work one more month and spend more money on useless junk!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Chrille

I'm almost certain I won't be able to make it on those dates. I'm away that week. Would've been fun to be in America for the 4th of July!

I want to see New York and New Orleans though and might go on a two week tour around that time. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet some of you then?
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Creed Malay

Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Disco

I'm fine with those dates too.

I have never really celebrated the 4th in any special way and probably never will, but it would be interesting to see how a group of disproportionately international people get into the festivities :D

Pumaman

Quote from: Disco on Thu 22/01/2009 17:02:43
I have never really celebrated the 4th in any special way and probably never will, but it would be interesting to see how a group of disproportionately international people get into the festivities :D

What you call Independance Day, we call Good Riddance Day. We celebrate it each year by burning American flags on the 4th July ... I'm sure that'll go down well if we're in Florida at the time :D

Gilbert

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 22/01/2009 17:49:15
We celebrate it each year by burning American flags on the 4th July ...

Or, to have the same effect, you may just play Soviet Unterzoegersdorf - Sector I together, I think those who cannot attend MITTENS this year (like me, who won't attend every year anyway) would support this act remotely also. :=

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteWhat you call Independance Day, we call Good Riddance Day. We celebrate it each year by burning American flags on the 4th July ... I'm sure that'll go down well if we're in Florida at the time

Tut tut.  Still bitter about getting your limey butts kicked by a bunch of colonials and the French, I see.  :=

monkey0506

Put me down as a definite maybe.

It's pending my ability to get the time off work as well as funding. I would need to know what the price is going to be. There shouldn't be any problems with the money (WARNING: famous last words!) but it's bad practice to count your chickens before the leprechauns hatch.

The way I'm calculating this, I would need to request a total of 6 days off work (the other 2 being my normal days off), 4 of which I should be able to get paid for.

If you can provide an exact price, I'll ask on Saturday when I go back to work about getting the time off. Actually either way I'll ask, but I'll put in the official request once I know the prices. ;)

I know I've discussed the last two years about wanting to go, but for the record this is the first time it's even a real feasible possibility. For now though, count me in! :=

Radiant

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 22/01/2009 17:49:15
What you call Independance Day, we call Good Riddance Day. We celebrate it each year by burning American flags on the 4th July ... I'm sure that'll go down well if we're in Florida at the time :D

Really? I thought you guys had revoked the independence some eight years ago?

Pumaman

Quote from: Pet Terry on Thu 22/01/2009 10:27:01
June and July? I'm out then, I'm afraid. I kind of assumed the meet would be in August, so my plan was to work in June and July to earn money for it.
Quote from: Chrille on Thu 22/01/2009 15:26:40
I'm almost certain I won't be able to make it on those dates. I'm away that week.

Awww, no Petteri and no Chrille makes C a sad J.
:'(

Grundislav

Esseb

I vote for the historic mansion. It's cheaper, sleeps more, and has a billiard room!

MrColossal

Mansion also.

We should remake The Haunting in that place.

Becky

Miez

(Maniac) Mansion FTW :)

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITSCH! ;D

m0ds

Either is fine, both look great - though I have to say the Fort Laudervale (sp) one with its Atlantic view is my preffered choice, I'd certainly pay the extra for a view like that :) The pool looks lush too! Mansions? History? Ick, that was so 2008 :P Mind you, "hollywood beach" is hella-cool!!!

AGA

They both look pretty cool, albeit fairly expensive. I'd choose the mansion overall though.

monkey0506

I really like the look of that mansion.

I also had one other question aside from the pricing issue. What about transportation? Should I plan on renting a vehicle? Should I plan on renting a vehicle to taxi everyone around in? Should I plan on forcing someone else to play chauffeur? Is it still too early for these type of questions? 8)

Grundislav

It depends on how many people show up in the end, but yes, we will probably need to rent a van.  My car holds 4 people.  Mills and Darth live in the state so I assume they will have their own cars too?  So that's space for 12 right there, but we may need an 8-9 person van to fit the rest.

Right now the list of interested parties is at 30, but we'll see how that changes as time passes.

Nacho

I guess we can rent a van... I offer myself as a driver, if needed, but I should need a bit more info... How picky are the american rent a car companies about the driving license? I have it one, but for less than 2 years, which has been a problem sometimes... Oh! And both houses look terrific, I don' t mind picking one or the other.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A mansion with a blue felt pool table?  Do you have any idea how long I've wanted both of those things?  That looks awesome and I would be totally for it...and for a remake of House on Haunted Hill (the Price version, not the shitty remake with Geoffrey Rush).

m0ds

Maybe it's just me, but the only time I'll actually be in accomodation is when I sleep...I was 20 last time I went to America, so now I can fully abuse it - and fully intend too. I have a silly America-fetish...And I also want to J-walk and get arrested :D

Ok, well, the mansion one does work out at about 200 quid each so thats ok...that'd be about the most I could afford for accomodation.

Darth Mandarb

I'm torn between choosing one over the other ... they both look amazing!

The Hollywood mansion reminds me of the chateau a bit more and that courtyard looks amazing!  Not to mention it has a billiards table!

But that amazing view of the Atlantic from the Fort Lauderdale mansion sums up what visiting South Florida is all about!!

I don't mind spending more money to stay at the Fort Lauderdale mansion however, if people wish to save the money I would have no objection to the Hollywood mansion either.  I don't have to pay for airfare for this Mittens so I totally understand the need for the least expensive accommodations!

And yes, I will have a car that can fit 4 very comfortably and 5 if Nacho and Lore are in the car with us :P  Both of these mansions are within a half hour from my house (and about 10 minutes from my office) so it works out quite nicely!

I also volunteer to pick up travelers from the airport(s) if needs be!

Remember you don't need to fly into Miami!

Fort Lauderdale is an international airport as well and sometimes flying into Fort Lauderdale can be cheaper than flying into Miami (depending on where you're coming from!)

Grundislav

Yeah, the location of these places (the Hollywood mansion in particular) is ideal because they're right between MIA and FLL, so people can fly into both airports easily, and Darth and I can share chauffeur duties.

I get the impression that the mansion is within walking distance to the ocean, but I can confirm that once I actually go see the place.

DutchMarco

Both the Fort Lauderdale and the Hollywood-place-thingy would be heavenly. All we'll need then are no hurricanes, and the location would be even better than the chateau.If I may be so free I'd say that we'd let the choice depend on the turnout. I'm definitely on (barring a planetary catastropy of the Hollywood-kind or of the HHGTG-kind (which would be a major bummer, earth demolished, no planet to stand on anymore and all that)) So if we'll exceed 20 then we'd have to go for the Hollywood, sinece that slseeps 23.Sure the Hollywood place is slightly (!)cheaper which is a plus, and since I can't chooe beteen either place on any other gruond, I'd choose for the cheapest place, ehich is Hollywood.
Another thing to take into account is how close amenities such as bars etc, also grocery shops are. I've learned frm Mittens Français that that is quite the thing to take into account.
Oh and I expect both would be a suitable movie location (we'd have to be careful with the pyrotechnics!)
I'm not really bothered by the Kitschy interior. It's for a week-short holiday after all. It adds some panache. Oh and beach front is not high on my list of prerequisites, it would be a nice bonus at most.

So the tally after a quick browse of the posts: Hollywodo 2 votes over Lauderdale (but that's where all the college girls go wild during their summer break, right? Hmmmmm...)
can't choose: 2 votes as well. (so I counted my vote twice, heck, I'm allowed to;  I'm counting - it's my post, isn't it??

Disco

Hmm, the only thing that would make me want to rent the beachfront house over the mansion is the pool/entrance in front and being by the beach, though I 'm not sure if that is redundant or not.

The Mansion looks like it has much more more character to it (Beachfront hallways look like a museum :/) and definitely worthy of a BJ2 location.

Mansion has my vote :D

Pumaman

So bearing in mind the likely costs of travel and accomodation, is anyone still interested in doing a pre- or post-Mittens visit to the Orlando attractions?

Pesty

Mansion. Mansion, yes. It'd be crazy to pass that place up just for a private beach. Also, HISTORY. Also, it's gorgeous.

Becky

Disco

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 26/01/2009 20:28:09
So bearing in mind the likely costs of travel and accommodation, is anyone still interested in doing a pre- or post-Mittens visit to the Orlando attractions?

Depends on how much it is in the end. I'm not superexcited to go to Orlando in general, but it would be hard to pass up spending more time with everyone and going to theme parks as a larger group. I would be up for it if it were a two or so day thing,  maybe not longer than that depending on the deals.

*checks*

Hmm, looks like I'll be going to a gallery show opening in Chicago on 10 July, so a visit after the official Mittens week would fit snugly for me, but I could most certainly go before if it is more convenient for everybody.

monkey0506

I don't know if I would be able to get more time off work...but Orlando (attractions, not the city :X) sounds great!

Since this will (hopefully) be my first Mittens...what should I expect as the Mittenivities? Aside from the Onion Ring Consumption Competition of course. I'm not entirely clear what this entails beyond simply everybody hanging out and bailing Mods out of jail.... :=

Radiant

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If I can in any way afford the trip at all I'd probably like to go to Orlando, though I've always wanted to see Key West, and missed the chance last time I was in Florida.

m0ds

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 27/01/2009 10:26:10
If I can in any way afford the trip at all I'd probably like to go to Orlando, though I've always wanted to see Key West,

Seconded!

I seriously am not going to be able to afford this holiday, lol

Darth Mandarb

I am okay with Disney or the Keys ... or we could charter a boat and head off to Bimini and try our luck on a boat in the dreaded Bermuda Triangle!!!

Personally I've been to Disney and the Keys many times ... I'd love a little adventure on the open seas if anybody else is up for it!  Beers, deep-sea fishing, a tropical island, the Bimini Road, beautiful Bimini women (??) and possibly some time lost in a parallel universe if the triangle lives up to its reputation!!

Stupot

I think I'm gonna have to withdraw my interest in Miamittens.
Although I'm pretty convinced I would technically be able to afford it, I should be thinking about saving that kind of money for my year abroad in 2010.   I'll definitely up for Brittens, though, and I'm sure I'll see some of you at AdventureX Expo in January.

So as they say on Dragons Den, "Sorry, but I'm out." :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk