AGS Support > Modules, Plugins & Tools

ATTN Plugin Authors: Gathering plugin sources

(1/5) > >>

Crimson Wizard:
As many of you should know, we have a number of AGS ports now that let run AGS games on other platforms (linux, etc). Plugins remain a problem, because they were written as Windows dynamic libraries. JJS already rewrote couple of plugins, and Calin disclosed his AGSBlend and SpriteFont plugins, so that their code could be used to compile plugins for other systems too.

Are there anyone else who would like to disclose his/her plugin source to let the games, which used them, become fully portable? Perhaps someone may contact plugin authors that did not visit forums for a while?
Could there be a reason to not to disclose plugin source?

Additionally, I want to mention, that maybe it could be a good idea to state a rule, that AGS plugin should be made open source from the start (NOTE: "open-source" does not mean "free to use")? Aside from portability, this would also ensure that no one will put something unexpected, like malicious code in there.

Sslaxx:

--- Quote from: Crimson Wizard on 04 Jan 2013, 16:07 ---As many of you should know, we have a number of AGS ports now that let run AGS games on other platforms (linux, etc). Plugins remain a problem, because they were written as Windows dynamic libraries. JJS already rewrote couple of plugins, and Calin disclosed his AGSBlend and SpriteFont plugins, so that their code could be used to compile plugins for other systems too.

Are there anyone else who would like to disclose his/her plugin source to let the games, which used them, become fully portable? Perhaps someone may contact plugin authors that did not visit forums for a while?
Could there be a reason to not to disclose plugin source?

Additionally, I want to mention, that maybe it could be a good idea to state a rule, that AGS plugin should be made open source from the start (NOTE: "open-source" does not mean "free to use")? Aside from portability, this would also ensure that no one will put something unexpected, like malicious code in there.

--- End quote ---
It wouldn't work for plugins like AGSteam (because of Valve's licensing arrangements).

Crimson Wizard:
I feel a need to bump this, just to make people read this suggestion again.

Since we have a number of ports now, it might be important to encourage people to either write plugins in a portable form (not dependent on OS or OS-specific libraries), or provide alternative versions for other platforms. Or let other ppl convert their plugin DLLs. In fact, this may be so important I'd suggest mention this somewhere in one of the sticky topics.

Wyz:
Yes I can see how important this is for portability. Before when AGS itself was not opensource one could argue not to make their plugins open source but now the engine is in the open it is rather silly (unless there are licencing issues like with the steam plugin). I would still not have penalties or anything but instead let's make it very clear to game developers: if you use this plugin your game will only work on windows or maybe even: don't use this plugin unless...

That said I have a few plugins that are not in the open generally because I like to release it after it has seen a period of maturity. For those that have been around long enough I really want to but lack of time has kept me from doing so.
For instance I like to port the Joystick plugin to Linux and DirectX and then release the source. It is currently using the windows native API which obviously is not portable and is also causing problems with the newer Windows versions. It is also not in a state where I'm happy to release the source. I will work on this once my schedule clears up.
The Sockets plugin that is currently in the alpha phase already is portable (although I have not tested the posix parts yet) and after it has seen some miles I will release the source as well.

I don't really remember what other plugins I made from the top of my head, probably they are not that important. :)

Calin Leafshade:
I think I've released the source for all my plugins that are in use.

Am I missing any?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version